City Navigator Upgrade

Due to a work overload it's been a long time since I've visited this forum. I've done a search and can't seem to find the answer to my question so I'm wondering if someone can help me out? I've had a 60CS for several years (love it!). I use MapSource Topo and City Select V7. There was talk about Garmin offering City Navigator as an upgrade to City Select owners sometime in late summer I believe. Supposedly Navigator would have smaller map sets suitable for people using the older 60CS units. I haven't received notice from Garmin. Any news?

Due to a work overload it's been a long time since I've visited this forum. I've done a search and can't seem to find the answer to my question so I'm wondering if someone can help me out? I've had a 60CS for several years (love it!). I use MapSource Topo and City Select V7. There was talk about Garmin offering City Navigator as an upgrade to City Select owners sometime in late summer I believe. Supposedly Navigator would have smaller map sets suitable for people using the older 60CS units. I haven't received notice from Garmin. Any news?

Yes, I upgraded to CN8 a month or two ago. The map sets are smaller than CN7, but larger than my City Select v6.

The "upgrade" has much less points of interest, which is a disappointment. But some roads were improved a little, and the exit signs now reflect properly.

BigLarry,

Thanks for the reply. Did Garmin contact you and did they consider it an upgrade from City Select V7? I thought I'd heard that Garmin was going to consider it an upgrade and offer it to City Select owners for $75. You say you are disappointed with Navigator 8, do you prefer City Select 7?

Thanks,

Doug in Ak

I'm courious about this myself since I just now ordered Navigator 8 upgrade from city select v7. iwas surprised that I was going to get this as an upgade for free, I should say pleased. I was dissapointed in city select as I could not find poi that I thought should be there. Some have been around for a couple years. But I really can't complain. It has done me well the past year, I just hope Navigator is better.

I ordered my upgrade to Navigator 8 from City Select 7 last night. The new DVD will be shipped but I think we are going to have to pay the $75 upgrade fee when we instal the software. Anyone else know about this?

Thanks guys!

Depends on when you activated your CS7. If it was after May this year, you'll probably get a free ride. Otherwise you'll have to pay.

I ordered my upgrade to Navigator 8 from City Select 7 last night. The new DVD will be shipped but I think we are going to have to pay the $75 upgrade fee when we instal the software. Anyone else know about this?

Thanks guys!

Depends on when you activated your CS7. If it was after May this year, you'll probably get a free ride. Otherwise you'll have to pay.

Dumb question coming- How do I find out when I activated to V7? I just don't have any record or e-mail to tell me when. The e-mail I got from Garmin mentioned nothing about a $75.00 fee,,so I assumed it would be free. From what I have read so far, there isn't much of a "this is cool" factor upgrading to Navigator 8, so If I do have to pay the $75.00. I may just skip that part and continue on with city select 7. Appreciate any advice regarding this, Thanks

Garmin.com has the info you need. http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/ How much memory is in your unit? I have both Select and Navigator. Navigators maps are a lot bigger and could not put the amount of maps and my VistaC that i can on my Venture Cx with a 1 gig card. Garmin told me MetroGuide was the new replacement for Select and Navigator was more suited for units w/expandable memory.

Swink Family

Thanks for your quick reply. I have the 60cs with 56mb memory So far I have never encountered and issues with the small amount of memory it has. It just takes some time to tinker with it if I'm going long trips. I do think I will have to pay the $75.00 for the upgade, but there was no mention of that in the e-mail.. I have allot of faith in Garmin though so I'm not to worried, I just cannot find the date I upgraded to City Select v7 or maybe it doesn't even matter since I'm going with a new version, ie Navigator. I'll just keep my fingers crossed until then.

Garmin.com has the info you need. http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/ How much memory is in your unit? I have both Select and Navigator. Navigators maps are a lot bigger and could not put the amount of maps and my VistaC that i can on my Venture Cx with a 1 gig card. Garmin told me MetroGuide was the new replacement for Select and Navigator was more suited for units w/expandable memory.

I was under the impression CN8 contained smaller map sets compatible with the 60CS. Was I wrong?

I believe CN8 segments are smaller than CN7, but are larger than CS7 (have CS7 & upgraded to CN8), personally I don't think it was worth it for me to go up 1 revision. More poi's in my area tho.

I've had both CitySelect 7 and City Navigator 8. CN8 has map segments much larger that those for CS7. The CN8 maps will work with the with the 60CS, but you may find them too cumbersome given the limited memory.

GW