GPS Free Downloads

WenGen

Can anyone tell this first timer what's the best free download to install on my gps to install the information for geocaching?? Also, what's the best one if I wanted to purchase it? I understand everyone will have their favorite, but any info would help me.

Thanks,

wengen

I really like GSAK. You'll see it referenced many times in these forums.

It is free, but after 30 days you get a "nag screen" about paying to register it. Then, every day, it adds about a second delay before proceeding. You can bypass this by resetting your computer calendar to an earlier date. But it's only about $30 for a LIFETIME registration for GSAK.

What's nice about GSAK is that it not only downloads the info from geocaching.com and sorts it for you in many different ways, but it also transfers it to your GPS with the click of a button. You don't need a second program.

On the free side of geocaching.com, you can only transfer LOC files, which GSAK can handle. Loc files contain the cache coordinates, name, and that's about it.

It get's better!

For $30 a year, with a paid membership to geocaching.com, you can load GPX files. These are great because not only do they contain the lat/lon coordinates, but virtually all the info on the cache page, including the 4 most recent logs! And this is very easy to view in GSAK!

It gets better!

With that paid membership to geocaching.com, you can generate POCKET INQUIRIES. Here's what it's all about. Imagine doing a search, listing what size caches you'd like to find, maybe only singles, maybe only medium and large size, maybe only active ones, maybe only difficulty 1 and 2. Maybe only terrain 1 to three, maybe only within 20miles of your home. This is a much more detailed a search than you can do on the free side. The limit is 500 caches per search. But you can do as many searches as you want.

It gets better!

You can have this pocket inquiry result emailed to you. (The limit is 5 emailed searches per day). Now, load this into GSAK! So What? Now, you can view any of these caches through GSAK much much faster than searching the geocaching.com website. And it looks very close to what you see on the geocaching.com site. This means you can still plan your day even when the geocaching.com site is down, like it is now. And, of course, with GSAK, you can choose to transfer them all, or only selected ones, to your GPS and head out caching!

It gets better!

Paperless Caching! Let's say you get hooked. Now, you buy a Palm Pilot off e-bay for under $100. You also pay about $20 for a program called cachemate for the Palm Pilot. So what? Now you transfer all of this information from GSAK to your Palm Pilot and take all this info out in the field with you. You click on the Cachemate icon and look at all those pages deep in the woods. No more sheets of paper! It's great!

It gets better!

There's lots more you can do with GSAK. I'm just learning. But it comes with lots of help files and a website.

So, that's why I like GSAK. I used it free until about 2 weeks ago when I bought my Palm z72 off ebay for $90. (This was overkill for geocaching. It had tons of memory, a high-res screen, a voice recorder and a built in camera. You can go lots cheaper). Paperless caching is wonderful! I now take my Palm and my GPS anywhere I go. If I have time on my hands, I fire up my Garmin and look for nearby caches. I then look these up on my Palm for cache descriptions and hints, and I'm off into the woods. It's great!

Wondering what to ask for for Christmas?

That's my 2 cents!

Edited by michigansnorkeler

GSAK - Big learning curve, but well worth it!!!

GSAK + Cachemate + GC Premium Membership + PalmIIIxe (Ebay less than $20) = Extremely Happy Cacher

Yes, it does seem intimidating at first. :) But the tutorials are great. I had a couple hundred caches loaded and ready to go the same night my Palm arrived in the mail. :unsure: And I'm not much of a computer geek. Now, mastering all the neat optional features of GSAK ... THAT will take time!

I really like GSAK. You'll see it referenced many times in these forums.

It is free, but after 30 days you get a "nag screen" about paying to register it. Then, every day, it adds about a second delay before proceeding. You can bypass this by resetting your computer calendar to an earlier date. But it's only about $30 for a LIFETIME registration for GSAK.

What's nice about GSAK is that it not only downloads the info from geocaching.com and sorts it for you in many different ways, but it also transfers it to your GPS with the click of a button. You don't need a second program.

On the free side of geocaching.com, you can only transfer LOC files, which GSAK can handle. Loc files contain the cache coordinates, name, and that's about it.

It get's better!

For $30 a year, with a paid membership to geocaching.com, you can load GPX files. These are great because not only do they contain the lat/lon coordinates, but virtually all the info on the cache page, including the 4 most recent logs! And this is very easy to view in GSAK!

It gets better!

With that paid membership to geocaching.com, you can generate POCKET INQUIRIES. Here's what it's all about. Imagine doing a search, listing what size caches you'd like to find, maybe only singles, maybe only medium and large size, maybe only active ones, maybe only difficulty 1 and 2. Maybe only terrain 1 to three, maybe only within 20miles of your home. This is a much more detailed a search than you can do on the free side. The limit is 500 caches per search. But you can do as many searches as you want.

It gets better!

You can have this pocket inquiry result emailed to you. (The limit is 5 emailed searches per day). Now, load this into GSAK! So What? Now, you can view any of these caches through GSAK much much faster than searching the geocaching.com website. And it looks very close to what you see on the geocaching.com site. This means you can still plan your day even when the geocaching.com site is down, like it is now. And, of course, with GSAK, you can choose to transfer them all, or only selected ones, to your GPS and head out caching!

It gets better!

Paperless Caching! Let's say you get hooked. Now, you buy a Palm Pilot off e-bay for under $100. You also pay about $20 for a program called cachemate for the Palm Pilot. So what? Now you transfer all of this information from GSAK to your Palm Pilot and take all this info out in the field with you. You click on the Cachemate icon and look at all those pages deep in the woods. No more sheets of paper! It's great!

It gets better!

There's lots more you can do with GSAK. I'm just learning. But it comes with lots of help files and a website.

So, that's why I like GSAK. I used it free until about 2 weeks ago when I bought my Palm z72 off ebay for $90. (This was overkill for geocaching. It had tons of memory, a high-res screen, a voice recorder and a built in camera. You can go lots cheaper). Paperless caching is wonderful! I now take my Palm and my GPS anywhere I go. If I have time on my hands, I fire up my Garmin and look for nearby caches. I then look these up on my Palm for cache descriptions and hints, and I'm off into the woods. It's great!

Wondering what to ask for for Christmas?

That's my 2 cents!

Thank you very much for the info!!

wengen

Wow, you can install GSAK onto a GPS now? Or is this just the typical GSAK flunkies promoting it anytime they feel they can, wether it answers the OP's questions or not?

That's exactly what I thought when I read the replies.

For the OP, there is no special software to install on the GPS. However, GSAK will install on your PC, which you then connect your GPS to, and transfer the waypoints from GSAK to your GPS. There are a couple of other options (EasyGPS springs to mind), but again these are PC programs that will send things to the GPS.

That's assuming of course your GPS can connect to your PC (not all of them do). You didn't mention what kind you use.

Edited by ThePropers

Wow, you can install GSAK onto a GPS now? Or is this just the typical GSAK flunkies promoting it anytime they feel they can, wether it answers the OP's questions or not?

Sorry, I don't think that's what I said.

The GPS coordinates can be downloaded from GSAK to your GPS.

The cache pages can be downloaded from GSAK to your Palm via Cachemate.

GSAK cannot be loaded onto your GPS. It's a program for the PC.

Sorry for the confusion.

But, I really enjoy the ease of using GSAK. One click and the Pocket Inquiry goes to GSAK. One click and GSAK sends my selection to my GPS in a couple seconds. Another click, and GSAK sends the cache pages to Cachemate.

What do you use?

And instead of slamming someone who misunderstood the question, the better way is to ask the OP what GPS they have as I dont know either of any progs that will be installed on a GPS beyond the maps that may or may not come with it.

On the GPS itself, to my knowledge you can only install maps & points.

There are various ways to get those points installed & the one mentioned, GSAK, is very good, there are others out there & an be found on the resources link near the forums link.

You would install those progs on your computer, pc most likely but there is a mac or two prog also. You would then use your computer to easily transfer the points to your GPS if it can be hooked up to it via USB or Serial (for pcs, dont know what macs use as I dont own one yet)

If you cant hook up your gps then either try to get a cable to do it, get a newer gps or hand enter (longest way to do it).

If the original poster would inform us of what gps they have we can be more helpful instead of slamming someone for misunderstanding & also giving off a very rude & bad image.

Diane

The best free download is EasyGPS. 2,000 something cache finds later, it is what I still use. It works with .loc files for basic members, as well as .gpx files for premium members. It has a low learning curve for its basic function of transferring waypoints.

More advanced solutions require a premium membership. I use the GPX files (500 caches per pocket query) with the free "Watcher" software for waypoint management. When I've customized the file to show just the caches I want, I then open EasyGPS and send the waypoints to the GPS.

I have never used GSAK as I don't have the means to make online payments, and I don't like nagware. Also I am easily frustrated by complicated software, and my definition of complicated is very loose. I like EasyGPS and Watcher because they are simple. In choosing them, I recognize that I sacrifice some advanced features. Yet my choices have had no appreciable impact on my ability to find lots and lots of geocaches, and to have fun.

Can anyone tell this first timer what's the best free download to install on my gps to install the information for geocaching?? Also, what's the best one if I wanted to purchase it? I understand everyone will have their favorite, but any info would help me.

Thanks,

wengen

Unless I'm mistaking, you are looking for a free way to load caches into your GPS. As far as I know, this is only done with software you load on your computer, not onto your GPS. You then use THAT software to transfer the caches to your GPS, as I described in another post.

As you posted, everyone has their own favorite, and GSAK is mine.

As you posted, any info would be of help to you. I sincerely hope you found my post helpful.

Sorry I misread your original post, but I think I answered your question.

Hope you have many happy years geocaching. It's a lot of fun.

The best free download is EasyGPS. 2,000 something cache finds later, it is what I still use. It works with .loc files for basic members, as well as .gpx files for premium members. It has a low learning curve for its basic function of transferring waypoints.

More advanced solutions require a premium membership. I use the GPX files (500 caches per pocket query) with the free "Watcher" software for waypoint management. When I've customized the file to show just the caches I want, I then open EasyGPS and send the waypoints to the GPS.

I have never used GSAK as I don't have the means to make online payments, and I don't like nagware. Also I am easily frustrated by complicated software, and my definition of complicated is very loose. I like EasyGPS and Watcher because they are simple. In choosing them, I recognize that I sacrifice some advanced features. Yet my choices have had no appreciable impact on my ability to find lots and lots of geocaches, and to have fun.

What "The Leprechauns" said....

EasyGPS has everything a beginner needs and if you take simple approach to geocaching, it may be all you ever need....

And its truly free...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

GSAK + Cachemate + GC Premium Membership + PalmIIIxe (Ebay less than $20) = Extremely Happy Cacher

:yikes: curse you all. now I need to go buy a PDA and all this other stuff.

woe is me.

:huh:

at least it's winter, so I won't be caching for 8 months or whatever till spring comes again to the frigid north.

Or rather than being rude and full of yourself, you could actually offer a bit of advice? Seems like your post is even more off topic than the posts you are complaining about.... You are either part of the problem or part of the solution, and its seems clear enough which side you are on....

That's exactly what I thought when I read the replies.

Me three.

As others have stated, there's no such thing as free software to install ON THE GPS.

The only "software" that can normally be loaded onto a GPS unit is detailed maps, which are produced in proprietary format by each GPS maker. IOW, Garmin makes and sells maps for Garmin units, Magellen for Magellen units, etc.

There are, as others have detailed, shareware programs whicn install on your *computer*, and which can be used to manage waypoint information downloaded from geocaching.com, and to transfer the waypoint information to the GPS unit.

I'll only add that I do find GSAK useful, in concert with a $3-a-month premium membership which makes it easy to download waypoint information to my computer for inclusion IN my GSAK databases.

Or rather than being rude and full of yourself, you could actually offer a bit of advice? Seems like your post is even more off topic than the posts you are complaining about.... You are either part of the problem or part of the solution, and its seems clear enough which side you are on....

What's really rude is people recommeding fee based software everytime somes asks a question about software. It's one thing if the software will actually do what the person wants, but to recommend a fee based program that WON'T actually do what the person wants is extremely rude.

Seems pretty clear I'm on the side that's sick of seeing GSAK recommended all the time even for stuff it CAN'T do. That's nothing new, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a solution to that problem.

First off, i did not design, i do not work for, and i do not get commisions from GSAK. :unsure: But i whole heartedly recommend this program. It is shareware but it can be used for FREE! There is a nag screen delay that comes up after thirty days but you can still use it for free if you want, but you'll most likely like the program and want to go ahead and register it by then. I did use EasyGPS for a little while but GSAK does so much more and for me, is very easy to use. I especially like that i can make a waypoint file which can be exported to just about any mapping program that you have on your PC. I use it with Delorme and Mapsource for printing of maps showing caches that i'm interested in. No it's not a neccesity but it its cool! :rolleyes: No, GSAK does not load onto your GPSr, but i don't think any other program does either. Only waypoints and the maps designed by the GPSr maker can be loaded into the GPSr..

First step is to become a paid member of GC.com. Then you can set up your pocket queries to deliver the caches you are interested in. These will come as an email attachment that you download, then you'll use a program such as GSAK or EasyGPS to open them with, then from there, download to your GPSr. Sounds complicated but it comes pretty easy after a time or two of doing it! <_<

I'm a newbie to all of this paperless stuff and what software works on what.

What is the difference between a Palm Pilot and a Pocket PC (I'm a newb here also)?

Will cachemate work on a Pocket PC or just on a Palm Pilot?

Will BeelineGPS work on a Palm Pilot or just on a Pocket PC?

What is the difference between a Palm Pilot and a Pocket PC (I'm a newb here also)?

I'm wondering this, too. Maybe you should start a new thread?

What's really rude is people recommeding fee based software everytime somes asks a question about software.

Sorry, but I don't comprehend why you would have an issue with this - unless you meant to have the word "free" in front of the second iteration of the word "software"?

Even if you DID mean to say "free software" the second time, there's nothing "rude" about recommending shareware (such as GSAK) when the question is asked, unless the shareware is of the type that disables itself after a trial period or has severely limited function.

I've participated in all sorts of forums, on all sorts of subjects, since 1993, and IME its standard practice to include shareware when discussing free programs - shareware IS free, even if you have to tolerate nag screens to use it. WRT GSAK specifically, not only does it remain fully functional after the trial period (aside from brief delays when starting up or using some advanced functions), but if one does choose to pay for it, it's CHEAP.

Me, personally, I'd rather have occasional nag screens than the ads that often accompany "free" software. :)

And no, I don't work for GSAK - I just found it the best of the various programs I "test drove". :)

As a side note, here are the "industry standard" terms (I used to work in tech support) for various types of downloadable-for-free programs, as I understand them:

Freeware = completely free to use, and does NOT contain advertising of any sort. However, some "freeware" has annoying screens which ask you to send the programmer money, or direct you to the programmers other non-free programs. Freeware is also generally fairly limited in function.

Adware = doesn't cost the user anything, but is paid for by advertising which the user must view whenever using it. Often delays at startup to to download new advertising, and may also load spyware on your computer.

Shareware = doesn't cost the user anything, but the distributor asks that you pay for it if you find it useful; usually relatively inexpensive. May have nag screens asking/reminding the user to pay after a certain period of time, but remains fully functional other than nag delays. If it has nag screens, can also be referred to as "nagware".

Crippleware = usually touts itself as "shareware", but either does not fully function right off the bat, or disables itself after a trial period.

EasyGPS has everything a beginner needs and if you take simple approach to geocaching, it may be all you ever need....

And its truly free...

Dale

With Easygps, can you download the caches to gps or do you need additional software? Also, does it download the thr notes about the cache.

Thanks

:P curse you all. now I need to go buy a PDA and all this other stuff.

woe is me.

:P

at least it's winter, so I won't be caching for 8 months or whatever till spring comes again to the frigid north.

WHAT!!! You don't cache in the winter? I live here in Maine and I love caching in the winter,no bugs,not many muggles and you get to follow the previous cachers footprints right to the cache..... :P

What is the difference between a Palm Pilot and a Pocket PC

Operating System (Think Windows vs Mac)

Both

just on a Pocket PC

Edited by Roland_oso

Cachemate will work on both Palm and Pocket PC but not sure about Beeline though as I have never used it. As far as what is the difference between Palm and Pocket PC? It is just a preference I guess just like a Ford or a Chevy. Pocket PC uses the Windows format and Palm uses it's own format and both work equally well at doing what they are supposed to do.

And its truly free...

Dale

With Easygps, can you download the caches to gps or do you need additional software? Also, does it download the thr notes about the cache.

Thanks

Yes you can download the caches with Easy Gps and not need any additional software and no you will not get the notes just the basic info.

I'm sure the OP meant what software do you use to install cache data onto your GPSr; indeed he was very happy with the answers so far. He asked for differing opinions... here is mine.

/GSAK FLUNKY MODE ON:

GSAK is the best one to use. Seriously. It's great to tool around with, has easy to intermediate to advanced functions. The learning curve is a lot less steep for the more advanced functions with the new tutorials. Great program, very cheap at the price for it's capabilities and support. Big thumbs up!

/MODE OFF.

/EASYGPS FLUNKY MODE ON

This is a great program too, for free. I also started off using this one.

/MODE OFF

What's really rude is people recommeding fee based software everytime somes asks a question about software. It's one thing if the software will actually do what the person wants, but to recommend a fee based program that WON'T actually do what the person wants is extremely rude.

It certainly would be rude. Fortunately, that's not what happend. The OP requested a program to install on his GPS to facilitate loading geocaching information - "what's the best free download to install on my gps to install the information for geocaching?? Also, what's the best one if I wanted to purchase it?".

For the vast majority of GPS units, no such software exists - most GPS receivers can't install 3rd party software. Rather than just say "no such thing" (which would have been rude), the respondents attempted to help by suggesting software that would get the same job done - loading geocaching information on the GPS.

GSAK can do that, and it does it very well indeed. And as has been noted, it is free. The license specifically allows you to continue using it, and only requires you to pay if you wish to eliminate the nag screen. Even if one argues that it is fee-based, that still meets the OPs requirements, as he also asked which is best if he wants to purchase it.

Seems pretty clear I'm on the side that's sick of seeing GSAK recommended all the time even for stuff it CAN'T do.

Seems odd to have such strong response to a piece of software, and to take people to task for trying to be helpful. Wouldn't it require less effort, and more useful, to just answer the OP yourself with your own recommendation?

Seems odd to have such strong response to a piece of software, and to take people to task for trying to be helpful. Wouldn't it require less effort, and more useful, to just answer the OP yourself with your own recommendation?

Just answering the question doesn't do anything to try and stop the idiots who keep recommending GSAK for stuff that it CAN'T do. Perhaps if those idiots would take the time to read people questions and quit blindly saying "just use GSAK" the problem would go away.

As to my own recommendation, I didn't make any because I don't know of any software that'll do what the OP asked.

Just answering the question doesn't do anything to try and stop the idiots who keep recommending GSAK for stuff that it CAN'T do. Perhaps if those idiots would take the time to read people questions and quit blindly saying "just use GSAK" the problem would go away.

There is no software that will do specifically what the OP asked (e.g. 'install on his GPS'). However, the OP also stated his intent quite clearly - he wanted to "install the information for geocaching."

Rather than simply - and unhelpfully - tell him there is no free Geocaching software that will install on his GPS, people gave him a solution for accomplishing what his stated goals.

Despite your apparent personal issues and claims that it won't do what the OP asked, GSAK will load geocaching data onto GPS units quite nicely.

There is no diplomatic way to put this - you're simply wrong.

Calling people idiots for helping the OP with valid answers to his question is so obviously false as to be absurd. Interestingly, though, while your name calling says nothing about the targets, it does speak volumes about you.

From what I can see, GSAK doesn’t provide/download the cache notes at all.. it just provides you the link to the original post. I would think when one says "provides notes" it should mean the cache notes are transferred from the cache site/post and sent to the program managing the cache info e.g. GSAK. And from what I can tell that is NOT what GSAK does.

Q. What Pocket PC progs are available for storing cache notes? I use a 60CSX for the actual navigation displays and NOT any PDA device as there is no point in my case.

Thanks.

Edited by stingray67

From what I can see, GSAK doesn’t provide/download the cache notes at all.. it just provides you the link to the original post. I would think when one says "provides notes" it should mean the cache notes are transferred from the cache site/post and sent to the program managing the cache info e.g. GSAK. And from what I can tell that is NOT what GSAK does.

Yes it does, but it can only show what you "feed it". That is, if you feed GSAK only LOC files you will only see the information provided by a LOC file (which is very limited and does not include the cache details. If you feed it GPX files then you get the description, details, difficulty, terrain, owner, container, etc.

For more information Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Despite your apparent personal issues and claims that it won't do what the OP asked, GSAK will load geocaching data onto GPS units quite nicely.

There is no diplomatic way to put this - you're simply wrong.

Calling people idiots for helping the OP with valid answers to his question is so obviously false as to be absurd. Interestingly, though, while your name calling says nothing about the targets, it does speak volumes about you.

The OP asked "what's the best free download to INSTALL ONTO MY GPS". GSAK (and the other programs mentioned in this thread) WON'T do that. The "answers" provided in this thread aren't valid answers to the question. And this is far from the only thread where "just use GSAK" has been tossed about where it WON'T do what the OP asked. Why keep defending people spreading mis-information?

The OP asked "what's the best free download to INSTALL ONTO MY GPS". GSAK (and the other programs mentioned in this thread) WON'T do that. The "answers" provided in this thread aren't valid answers to the question. And this is far from the only thread where "just use GSAK" has been tossed about where it WON'T do what the OP asked. Why keep defending people spreading mis-information?

I am truly sorry that you don't get it.

Yes, the OP asked for a program to install on his GPSr. But he also stated why he wanted it - to load geocaching information on his GPSr. The program he wanted doesn't exist. However, several programs exist that will accomplish his stated goal, GSAK among them. Some 'idiots', as you call them, felt that offering a way to achieve the stated goal was a reasonable reply.

Now, had everyone followed your asinine philosophy, the 'idiots' would instead have told the OP "Sorry, no such thing. Too bad for you".

Perhaps you failed to note what the name of this forum is. It's 'Getting Started', where "We're glad to help!". The OP, I can't help but note, seemed happy with the replies he got from the people you're calling idiots. Why? Because - in distinct contrast to your unfortunate offerings - they told him how to accomplish what he really wanted to do.

GSAK does pull the cache notes. It loads any information that is in the source files. If you are using .LOC files, this will of course be a limited amount of information. As a premium member, though, you can use GPX files which contain a great deal more data. To see this data in GSAK try Waypoint -> Edit from the main menu to see the 'numbers' for the cache, and also F2 on the main screen to get a split screen view with description and log entries.

GSAK doesn't have a perfect interface in my opinion (and I say that as a database application programmer myself), but if you dig around a bit there are a lot of capabilities built into it.

Q. What Pocket PC progs are available for storing cache notes? I use a 60CSX for the actual navigation displays and NOT any PDA device as there is no point in my case.

I understand that there is a version of Cachemate for the Pocket PC devices. And though perhaps you'll cringe to read it, GSAK makes a great intermediary between Geocaching.com and Cachemate.

I am truly sorry that you don't get it.

Apparantly you don't get that there's a difference between telling people incorrectly that "this will do what you asked" and "I know of nothing that will do what you asked, but here's something that will do what I think you might have really wanted". The people in this thread (and many others) did the first. Apparantly, you have no problem with people just spewing misinformation all over the forums, but others of us are tired of seeing it.

Gods above, I thought this thread had died, guess not.

I will say one thing though... seems the only person that has a problem here & is spewing bull 'that there are people who are tired of seeing this' is you IV.

I've yet to see anyone else spew that they are tired of hearing the same stupid answer over & over again.

The OP seems to be happy with what he heard, like someone new to using a GPS (Sorry, I refuse to call them GPSr's) he wasnt exactly sure what to ask for, I'm sure its happened before & will happen again so he asked what he thought was a appro question.

Some of us politely explained what he really needed, that its most likely 3 party progs he's looking for & what we thought were good ones.

I'm gonna jump on the GSAK bandwagon along with Cachemate if you go paperless, but thats only cause the others didnt do what _I_ wanted.

I'd put the popcorn icon here if I really cared too, but at this point I dont.

I'm out.

Well I was going to be quiet, but I thought I would weigh in here anyway. I agree the the OP had asked what to intall on the GPS, however I think IV, you have likely ran him off thinking that Geocachers are something other than helpful and friendly people.

You can use GSAK for free and Clyde can correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing wrong with that as long as you don't mind the nag screen. Myself I bought it, for a very reasonalble price (MUCH less than it is really worth). I do preach GSAK because I love it. EasyGPS was good, but not what "I" wanted.

I know that this is a bit off topic, but I think rather than taking an attitude with someone who is really trying to help and provide an opinion on their solution, you might just try to offer your own.

JMHO

PS.... to the OP.... if you want to get some info on GSAK, providing it is what you might be looking for, or if you wish to just get some info on your original post, please feel free to IM me, I'll do what I can to help you out.

Joe

I am not much on gsak either.. too complicated.

This works for me and it is nearly free.

1. First step to making multiple caches appear on your gps receiver is become a premium member and download "pocket queries" in gpx format. This will cost you 3.00 per month.

2. Run that gpx file through "GPX2HTML" (free software google it)

3. Download results with " Easy GPs" to your gps receiver. (yes you need a cable)

4. Go Geocaching you just loaded up to 500 fun caches on your gpsr. (yes you can merge for even bigger numbers.)

And when you are ready to go paperless with a Palm Pilot , Step two provided the file you will need to put every cache complete with description on your Palm.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

I started out with EasyGPS as well, and found my first few caches with it, then discovered GSAK. True, the advanced functions and macros can be a bit of a bear, but the support I have received when I have questions is fantastic, and well worth the one time small fee.

You can use it for free, but I personally felt obligated to pay for it, as it provided a useful function for me on a daily basis, and not just for geocaching.

I would reccomend that you give the apps listed so far in this thread a trial, and find what suits you best. It's kind of like buying a motor vehicle...there is no such vehicle that will make everyone happy all the time, so get what makes you comfortable is my $.02

Please, no more trolling in this thread.