upgrading to Explorist 600

beauxp

I have an Explorist 400 and also have USA Topo 3d and Direct Route North America V3. I am wanting to upgrade to an Explorist 600 but Magellan tells me that my software will not work with the 600 since I registered it with the 400 serial number is this correct?

Are both the unit and software useless if separated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have an Explorist 400 and also have USA Topo 3d and Direct Route North America V3. I am wanting to upgrade to an Explorist 600 but Magellan tells me that my software will not work with the 600 since I registered it with the 400 serial number is this correct?

When I upgraded I used the MapSend manager to enter the new GPS serial number (in battery compartment). Removed and then reinstalled the MapSend Topo 3D and all works fine. You will have to use the MapSend manager to update the serial number. I think you can only do this twice. Once you do this you won't be able to update the maps for the old GPS, only the new one.

GeoSquatters thanks for the info. Tell me this. Do you know about the DirectRoute North America V3. Will this upgrade the same way?

Also, I am assuming that whoever buys my Explorist 400 will have no troubles with installing software, right?

Thanks again.

Edited by beauxp

GeoSquatters thanks for the info. Tell me this. Do you know about the DirectRoute North America V3. Will this upgrade the same way?

Also, I am assuming that whoever buys my Explorist 400 will have no troubles with installing software, right?

Thanks again.

If you are selling your Explorist 400 along with the original Mapsend software which is already registered

to the Explorist 400 serial number, the new owner should be able to install the software with the Mapsend CDs

on the new computer.

If you're buying a new Explorist 600 and want to use the Mapsend software which was

registered to Explorist 400, then the previous post says you have 1 more try.

If you're not selling Mapsend with your the Explorist 400, the new owner can buy new copies

of Mapsend and won't have any problems registering new Mapsend with the Explorist 400 serial number.

Only time there will be a problem is if you're selling the Explorist 400 with Mapsend CDs and

still wanting to use the same software with your new Explorist 600.

Edited by tywen

At the risk of being redundant, let me paraphrase and maybe amplify the information you've been given (because it has a high confusion potential). Older versions of Topo3D and DirectRoute--that come on CDROM--will allow for a change of unit/serial number. Newer versions that come on DVD won't.

In the latter case, I think you would have to make an arrangement with Magellan. It sounds like you tried, and they said sorry, you're stuck with the original unit/software combination. If that's so, it seems like a very short-sighted policy that discourages upgrading as you want to do.

beauxp, Did you ever resolve this issue? I just upgraded my Sportrack to an eXplortist and I'm trying to figure out how to continue using my DirectRoute software.

Thank you.

Please ignore my last post. I had tried changing the serial number in Mapsend Manager and that did not help but it turned out I put in the wrong serial number. When I fixed that, the next time I tried to upload a region from DirectRoute it gave me an option to load to the GPS or hard drive and then to enter the serial number of my unit (defaulting to the number in mapsend manager). All is working.

beauxp, Did you ever resolve this issue? I just upgraded my Sportrack to an eXplortist and I'm trying to figure out how to continue using my DirectRoute software.

Thank you.