Will Be Visiting Kalamazoo, MI in Late October - Any Cache Recommendations?

Vinny & Sue Team

I (Vinny) will be visiting a friend in Kalamazoo, MI for 8 days at the end of the month. I will be bringing along a GPSr and my friend and I plan to do a bit of geocaching together; she has done some geocaching with me already on the East Coast and in Wisconsin. I will be printing listing pages and downloading waypoints for some Kalamazoo caches to my GPSr, and have also made sure to download the coords for Big Boy (located somewhat north of Kalamazoo). We also plan to perhaps do a road trip to Northern Michigan, so I may print the listing pages and download waypoints as well for a few caches in Northern MI. And now it is time to ask the locals in MI: are there any "must do" caches in the Kalamazoo area that you would recomend? Personally, I tend to normally prefer Terrain 5 caches, but for this trip, I will not be bringing along my climbing gear or caving gear, nor any diving gear, so I will likely pass up most Terrain 5 caches in the area, if there are any! Thanks in advance for any caches which you may suggest! :)

Hey Vinny,

I think you will have a much better response over in the MiGO forums.

I live about 70 miles north or otherwise I would love to guide you for a day. While we have cached Kazoo a little, not enough to recommend anything. I do know you wouldn't have much use for any of your extreme caching gear. Level 5 terrains are few and far between in Michigan.

Be sure and do "Big Boy" in the early evening if possible. That's the best time to meet the cache owner. This cache is closer to me. I will recommend some in this area in a PM to you later this weekend.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

My parents live in Kzoo and so sometimes when I am up there I'll go GCing. The following may not be much help and I agree with the previous poster that MIGO will be the best help for specific caches.

First, you may want to consider an event: Texas Drive Park Meet & Greet II by Folshen & Mousie (GCYN5B)

Michigan on Oct. 29.

Second, the Bishop's Bog area in Portage is interesting because it has (or had) a rather slippery walkway over a bog. I almost lost my camera, cell phone and GPS to the bog. My favorite cache in that area went MIA a while back but there are others. See GCW5FJ and surrounding caches.

There are a lot of interesting parks in the area. Lots and and lots of caches. A PQ of 3.5+ terrain caches show about a dozen in the nearby region none of which I have been able to get to due to a lack of time (it hard to drag my 80+ year old parents to them.) I swear, I am just going to have to quit my job and go geocaching full time. :)

Have fun in the area. It is nice. A couple of the USA's billionaires live in the area. They are big supporters of the arts and so there is always lots to do. Be prepared to hear about the "Kalamazoo Promise" -- not a geocaching thing but rather a program by which *all* high school students get full tuition and expenses (not including room and board) paid for college.

My parents live in Kzoo and so sometimes when I am up there I'll go GCing. The following may not be much help and I agree with the previous poster that MIGO will be the best help for specific caches.

First, you may want to consider an event: Texas Drive Park Meet & Greet II by Folshen & Mousie (GCYN5B)

Michigan on Oct. 29.

Second, the Bishop's Bog area in Portage is interesting because it has (or had) a rather slippery walkway over a bog. I almost lost my camera, cell phone and GPS to the bog. My favorite cache in that area went MIA a while back but there are others. See GCW5FJ and surrounding caches.

There are a lot of interesting parks in the area. Lots and and lots of caches. A PQ of 3.5+ terrain caches show about a dozen in the nearby region none of which I have been able to get to due to a lack of time (it hard to drag my 80+ year old parents to them.) I swear, I am just going to have to quit my job and go geocaching full time. :yikes:

Have fun in the area. It is nice. A couple of the USA's billionaires live in the area. They are big supporters of the arts and so there is always lots to do. Be prepared to hear about the "Kalamazoo Promise" -- not a geocaching thing but rather a program by which *all* high school students get full tuition and expenses (not including room and board) paid for college.

Thank you to both cachers who have responded so far! Your assistance is appreciated! And yes, I did also post a note on the MiGO forum as well, and garnered some replies there as well! :huh: