Signed Logbook

icefall5

Why would you put in your logs that you signed the logbook? Everybody signs the logbook if you found it, so why say it? It just doesn't make sense to me.

If you didn't mention in your log that you signed the log, I would have to go to check the log book to make sure you really found the cache. But if you mentioned that you signed the log, then you must have found my cache. Why would anyone lie about signing the log? :P

I tend to sign my online logs differently than other:

Took: Nothing

Left: Logbook entry and chainmail ball

If I find something of interest, I'll trade stuff, but the chainmail ball is my signature item. Basically, I list in the 'left' line absolutely everything that I left there. I always leave a logbook entry, so I list it.

Edited by Kabuthunk

Why would you put in your logs that you signed the logbook? Everybody signs the logbook if you found it, so why say it? It just doesn't make sense to me.

You'd be surprised how many cachers don't actually sign the log book. Found it = Didn't Find it.

Some cachers fake finds, some cachers even sign the outside of the cache with permanent marker (312 record group). You make a big assumption that all cachers signed the log.

Exactly! And for that matter, why do people mention that they found the cache as well? Obviously, if you're entering a "Found It!" log, you found the cache.

:P

Another simple explanation for logs like "Found cache, signed log," is that these caches are hidden in terrible locations, and the finder has nothing nice to say about the cache.

I put SL in my online log because:

1 I can

2 I want to

3 It does no harm

4 It gives me closure

5 It signifies that I visited a cache in a terrible location

6 It signifies that I visited a cache in a fabulous location

7 Why not?

This is all tongue in cheek with the last the most significant in my view.

If you didn't mention in your log that you signed the log, I would have to go to check the log book to make sure you really found the cache. But if you mentioned that you signed the log, then you must have found my cache. Why would anyone lie about signing the log? :P

But just think of the database space that could be saved by eliminating this redundancy! It would save a lot of wear and tear on the hamsters.

I'd think that'd have more an effect if everyone posted nothing more online than "TNLNSL" as their entire post, as that would be 1/3rd the data. However, given at least 99.98% of people at least put a single sentence or more (I usually have about 3 paragraphs describing what I thought of the cache, and the journey and whatnot), the extra several letters would be neglegeable on the server.

Yes, technically after the millions and millions of logs, it would save some noticeable space... but that's like having a 10 gig file, and saying that without the "SL" part, you could save 3 megs of space.

Or, in less-computer-based terms... think of it as having just run a 20 mile marathon, and complaining about the fact that the finish line is about 4 feet wide, and took an extra two steps to cross :P

Edited by Kabuthunk

I'd think that'd have more an effect if everyone posted nothing more online than "TNLNSL" as their entire post, as that would be 1/3rd the data. However, given at least 99.98% of people at least put a single sentence or more (I usually have about 3 paragraphs describing what I thought of the cache, and the journey and whatnot), the extra several letters would be neglegeable on the server.

Yes, technically after the millions and millions of logs, it would save some noticeable space... but that's like having a 10 gig file, and saying that without the "SL" part, you could save 3 megs of space.

Or, in less-data-based terms... think of it as having just run a 20 mile marathon, and complaining about the fact that the finish line is about 4 feet wide, and took an extra two steps to cross :P

What if they made the font size smaller on the log page? If they went from a 12 point font to a 9 point font, it would be a 25% savings!

Nnnnot sure if you're being serious or not (could go either way... the lack of :P symbol is telling me to play it safe though), but nah... wouldn't change a thing. In a database, a letter is a letter is a letter. On the server, it's all 1's and 0's. The font or text size or anything like that is saved completely differently, and doesn't affect the filesize of the amount of text being posted. It's just how that same amount of data is being displayed.

Edited by Kabuthunk

So is it OK to say you found a cache but forgot to sign the log but left a trade doo-dad? So far in all of my vast geocaching experience, :P I have found micros but left the pen on the dinng room table, been head down in a TB hotel only to find there was a HUGE spider staring at me and forgot to sign the log, and been in a downpour and didn't want to have to put a wet log back in the cache. So clearly I need to be a little better prepared heading out. (different thread)

Somebody tell me there are not rules for all of this stuff??? What to put in a log???

:snip: I'm in love with Criminal's Avatar!! Woah Baby!!! :P

He is hot, isn't he?

And just so I'm on topic ... I always sign the log book and my online log always notes that. Sometimes, to mix things up, I note in the log book that I signed the log book.

What was the topic again? Oh, right, Criminal ... he's way hot.

I hear ya.

I wish that I always had a story to tell about finding a cache. Unforutnately sometimes traffic and parking stories just aren't worth posting about.

"Drove there. Parked the car. Looked around for muggles. It seemed clear. Followed the GPS for about 50 feet towards a tree. Looked around again. Saw some kids playing ball. I pretended to be interested in trees. Waited until it was clear. Moved some branches. Grabbed the cache. (I decided it just wasn't worth pretending anymore). Signed the log and replaced the cache. Looked around just to make sure I wasn't noticed. Walked away like I was just, in the area."

SLTFTC

I think the Cheeseheads are right - it takes a lot more pixels to make those larger fonts, and each pixel takes up some memory, so it makes sense that the smaller fonts are more efficient. Also the Serif fonts and the more complicated ones also take up more space - I always save everything in Arial, so I can fit more on my USB drive. Of course, those large drives are pretty cheap now, so maybe it doesn't matter as much anymore.

It's data on a server. How big or how small it is is completely irrelevant.

For example. Inside your internet explorer or Firefox, click on "View" at the top, and the "Text size", and then "biggest" (or increase if you have that). This is taking absolutely no more data from the server, or requires no more space on it's hard drive than before.

If you want, you can set your browser to override webpages fonts and display everything in size 6 MS Smallfonts if you wanted. Not changing a thing :)

It's data on a server. How big or how small it is is completely irrelevant.

For example. Inside your internet explorer or Firefox, click on "View" at the top, and the "Text size", and then "biggest" (or increase if you have that). This is taking absolutely no more data from the server, or requires no more space on it's hard drive than before.

If you want, you can set your browser to override webpages fonts and display everything in size 6 MS Smallfonts if you wanted. Not changing a thing :D

I dunno, but when I override the fonts to a small size, the page loads at least twice as fast!

Yes, of course I'm not using one of those fancy curly-que fonts!

I note that there's at least one cacher who makes a point of mentioning that he DIDN'T sign the log. Sometimes his logs get deleted too.

SL

6 It signifies that I visited a cache in a fabulous location

I've only done a couple of logs this way - both times it meant that I found a cache in a great location where the cache itself was dreadful - either some tedious, count the bolts on the sign back thing, then count the railings and divide by the handicapped parking spaces.... I don't do those anymore - I don't mind finding a bit of info from a sign, or easy count the whatevers for an offset, but a string of counting railings or parking places, spare me, or a cache in bad condition in the grungiest location in the area (the construction debris at the back of a lovely new lakeside park). Gack.