DELFT BLUE

ZAteam

This is the first in series of four authentic porcelain geocoins with Dutch Delft Blue artwork. This first series features a traditional windmill and the text "windmolen". Each coin is handmade and is numbered. Each series is limited to a maximum of 125 coins.

When we started thinking about making a coin, we both wanted a typical Dutch coin that was truly different from the many geocoins available now. This resulted in the idea of making a handmade porcelain coin finished in the 'Delft Blue' style.

Because both of us have two left hands(and square eyes :laughing: ), we approached Frans Ottink, an acquainted professional porcelain artist. Thanks to Frans the coin has become a piece of art as well.

Being a handmade coin produced in limited quantities unfortunately means that this is not the cheapest coin out there. We want to emphasise that we have done everything possible to keep the cost down and that the coin is not sold with the intention to make any personal profit. Any possible profits that might result from the sale of the coins will be donated to a good cause.

This coin is trackable with an own icon.

We hope that you like the coin.

Coin is available on: MY-GEOCOIN

PS. Many thanks to Chris Mackey (fox-and-the-hound) for the icon artwork.

(indirect link removed, direct link inserted by moderator)

Edited by Eartha

Ouch, I was really looking forward to these too. But at that price, I gotta pass.

WOW almost $20 for a coin to the usa ! :P

Yes guys(and girls), I can understand that the price is on the steep side(especially for our fellow cachers outside europe), I'm sorry about that :) .

Edited by ZAteam

I don't think I would risk even putting one of these in my coin binder! Think how bad you would feel if it broke!

--Marky

Porcelin is quite fragile, especially shipping it. I expect a bunch of mail losses due to damage/breakage.

As a test I carried one around in my back pocket :P for three weeks and it survived. I'm hoping that they will survive the trip to the US but I'll also add some extra protection.

PS. Coin is SOLD OUT.

Just a quick update...

The coins are in the making! And I must admit that I underestimated the amount of effort that goes into producing such a handmade coin. We assisted in making the first few coins and I'm truly grateful that I don't have to rely on my porcelain skills to earn a living. :anicute:

The evolution:

IMG_1.jpg

If you don't succeed then try again(check the background...)

IMG_3.jpg

Artist at work:

IMG_4.jpg

Look mom, I'm making a coin :laughing:

IMG_5.jpg

Update time:

We expect to get the coins into the oven this week.

This has been a huge learning experience for us as we've insisted on doing some of the coin work, like the numbering of the coins, ourselves. And this turned out to be a lot of work.

We'll be giving our best to get them finished asap.

I want one of those groovy coffee cups too. =o)

Just what I thinking. They don't tip over too easily do they? :surprise:

Hey I just noticed in the last picture that there's a bunch of those coffee cups on that shelf in the background... Hmmm.. I'm thinkin' a trade might actually be in order. I wonder if they can put a tracking number on it. I rarely go anywhere without a coffee cup of some kind or another. :huh:

I want one of those groovy coffee cups too. =o)

Just what I thinking. They don't tip over too easily do they? :surprise:

Hey I just noticed in the last picture that there's a bunch of those coffee cups on that shelf in the background... Hmmm.. I'm thinkin' a trade might actually be in order. I wonder if they can put a tracking number on it. I rarely go anywhere without a coffee cup of some kind or another. :huh:

I know! I'm thinking they might want to provide a few samples, a little free advertising for them.

I'd be willing to agree to take one to events.

:(

Whoo! Just saw this one! Really neat coin - we've been toying around with the idea of a ceramic sig item for a long time - but it is so labor intensive! I appreciate the amount of work you are putting into the coins. I PM'd you with the hopes of a trade for a TikiCoin - hand-made coins rule! :D

Tiki

Well, it is certainly time for an update! Unfotunately the update is not as pleasant as we would like it to be. :D

We got word from the artist that the final steps of making the coins didn't go as well as planned and that he is not completely satisfied with the quality of some batches of the final coins. We havn't seen the coins yet and will visit him in a day or two and judge for ourselves but we too want the coins to be of a high standard. So, in the worst case, we might have to do it all over.

We'll also be sending out emails to everyone who has ordered coins with full details of the situation.

We are truly sorry for the extreme delay. :wacko:

Well, it is certainly time for an update! Unfotunately the update is not as pleasant as we would like it to be. :wacko:

We got word from the artist that the final steps of making the coins didn't go as well as planned and that he is not completely satisfied with the quality of some batches of the final coins. We havn't seen the coins yet and will visit him in a day or two and judge for ourselves but we too want the coins to be of a high standard. So, in the worst case, we might have to do it all over.

We'll also be sending out emails to everyone who has ordered coins with full details of the situation.

We are truly sorry for the extreme delay. :D

Thanks for the update :D ! They'll be well worth the wait. It was just a bit quiet for a while.

I'm glad to anounce that the coins are finished !!! :P

About half of the coins were were not up to standard and had to be re-made. From the remade coins another three will have to be done again but we now have enough coins to go ahead with shipping.

We really appreciate everyones support and understanding for the situation.

Shipping info will be posted on Saturday in this forum.

About half of the coins were were not up to standard and had to be re-made. From the remade coins another three will have to be done again but we now have enough coins to go ahead with shipping.

WooHoo !!! <_< Thanks for the update Looking forward to receiving these beauties :unsure: Any Pictures ?

Edited by chief20r2

Great <_< Thanks for the information!