UK Injury Claim

Good news. Does this mean the irritating disclaimers that people put on their cache pages as a reaction to this will be removed? I hope so.

I agree that this is an excellent outcome from an unfortunate episode. I know a little of what Nick has been through and I'm delighted for him.

To answer this specific question, here's a quote from an e-mail I had from his solicitor this morning:-

As a UK solicitor all I can add is, that provided everyone involved follows your guidelines for placing a cache they will be able to defend themselves against a claim of this nature.

:laughing:

To answer this specific question, here's a quote from an e-mail I had from his solicitor this morning:-

As a UK solicitor all I can add is, that provided everyone involved follows your guidelines for placing a cache they will be able to defend themselves against a claim of this nature.

Now *thats* a good result. Glad to hear the whole episode is closed.

Good news. Does this mean the irritating disclaimers that people put on their cache pages as a reaction to this will be removed? I hope so.

I agree that this is an excellent outcome from an unfortunate episode. I know a little of what Nick has been through and I'm delighted for him.

:o

Like everyone else I am delighted at this outcome. :(

My only concern now is in the last line of the solicitor's opinion indicating that we will be able to defend ourselves if we follow the guidlines. But that might be at a considerable cost. I have nothing against solicitors but hate the idea of having to pay to defend myself against someone who really has no case to bring. :laughing:

My only concern now is in the last line of the solicitor's opinion indicating that we will be able to defend ourselves if we follow the guidlines. But that might be at a considerable cost. I have nothing against solicitors but hate the idea of having to pay to defend myself against someone who really has no case to bring. :P

Sadly, as long as they can either find a willing solicitor, or are willing to do it themselves, then almost anyone can take you to court (or threaten to do so) for almost anything that you (allegedly) did.

Obviously, if it is something that is rediculous, it's not gonna get too far.

And the farce of it all is that you would probably wish to take legal advice (= costs £££), yet the other person could then just drop the case, and you would probably find it difficult (unless you counter-sue them for your losses) to reclaim your costs.

I'm just glad to be in England, and not the US....

Now, I remember you promised to return me the £10,000 I lent you last year.... I've not seen it, so I guess I'll be seeing you in court! :-)

Paul

Absolutely dreadfull news, a really poor result.............

At least for the sad individual with more greed than common decency and a sensible approach to life. oops could be sued myself now for another jumped up allegation!!

Seriously though it must be a considerable personal relief for which we are all truly gratefull. Back to caching we hope?

Fantastic news! I am so pleased for you that this has come to an end.

It must have been a nightmare for you to have endured all of this.

Can you now tell us if the person who started the claim against you was a known geocacher?

Im sure that if they were though, the issue would never have happened in the first place.

Anyway, best wishes to you, and I hope you have many nights of quality sleep from now on!

Take care! :P

My only concern now is in the last line of the solicitor's opinion indicating that we will be able to defend ourselves if we follow the guidlines. But that might be at a considerable cost. I have nothing against solicitors but hate the idea of having to pay to defend myself against someone who really has no case to bring. :)

And the farce of it all is that you would probably wish to take legal advice (= costs £££), yet the other person could then just drop the case, and you would probably find it difficult (unless you counter-sue them for your losses) to reclaim your costs.

You can get Legal Protection Cover that is quite cheap. I think me and Ali pay about £7 a month via the Pol Fed and also about £5 a month for one that covers us when the Pol Fed one doesn't. In our job you need it. We have a solicitor at the end of a phone 24/7.

A pain in the bum I know, but once the 'other side' realise that you're not going to be a push over (and won't be forking out thousands to defend yourself) they more often than not give up. It's just one those things that no one thinks they will ever need until it's too late.

excellent news.

like many others i wuld like to know what actually happened and if the individual concerned was identified?

don't know about a disclaimer but i would love to be able to put on my caches that that person is not welcome. then if they are doing the cache that they have been asked notto do how would they be able to claim against anyone again?

pay about £7 a month via the Pol Fed and also about £5 a month for one that covers us when the Pol Fed one doesn't.

Quite apart from the irony of having a cheaper insurance policy to pay for the eventuality that the more expensive policy doesn't cover you, do you believe that being doubly insured makes you a bigger or smaller target for the "compensation" racketeers?