Creating Garmin Custom Maps

rws

I have created a couple of videos (plays in Windows Media Player) showing how to make maps for your Garmin GPSr. Depending how you want to upload your maps to your GPSr...either directly or making a custom installer for Mapsource...use the method shown just after compiling your map from the appropriate video.

The first video shows how to make a transparent map from a track file...also includes a script for Inno Setup that will install your maps into Mapsource where you can pick the map from the dropdown list and upload to your GPSr. Please read/print the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file in the zip file.

Transparent Map Video

The second video shows how to download data from USGS and create a map and then upload directly to your GPSr. Please read/print the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file in the zip file.

USGS Data Map Video

Both videos are guides to making basic maps...when you make your own maps you can make them as complex as you want using additional data from various GIS data sources.

Edited by rws

cGPSMapper tab is missing in the GPSmap Edit ??

GPSMapEdit...open, add or import a file

go to Map Properties...Header...Type Set...select Garmin click OK

go to Map Properties again cGPSMapper tab should be there

Thanks,

I have to watch more carefully.

At the DOS prompt after I enter the "cgpsmapper pv map_pv.mp" line and hit enter I get a message that cgpsmapper is not a recognized command or batch file. I put a copy of "cgpsmapper.exe" in the gps folder. Ideas? Thanks.

Opps, found my error.... I had "cgpsmapper" in the root folder and not in the sub folder of MAPS. Looking at the top of the directions, it states to put a copy of "cgpsmapper in this folder", which I read as GPS..but the command has me in MAPS...that was my clue. Am I correct?

At the DOS prompt after I enter the "cgpsmapper pv map_pv.mp" line and hit enter I get a message that cgpsmapper is not a recognized command or batch file. I put a copy of "cgpsmapper.exe" in the gps folder. Ideas? Thanks.

Opps, found my error.... I had "cgpsmapper" in the root folder and not in the sub folder of MAPS. Looking at the top of the directions, it states to put a copy of "cgpsmapper in this folder", which I read as GPS..but the command has me in MAPS...that was my clue. Am I correct?

correct...put it in the maps folder

I have a trail that I am working on, however, in addition to a parking spot, I also have several trails heads, and a few other points marked. When I click the icon for parking in the exercise, I get the parking icon ok, but, I also get the parking icon for all other points, I clicked these points, did a MODIFY, TYPE and selected my icons. At this point I am missing something...the map I got, just had the waypoint number, but no icons. The parking spot had the correct icon. Any ideas please? Thanks.

I have a trail that I am working on, however, in addition to a parking spot, I also have several trails heads, and a few other points marked. When I click the icon for parking in the exercise, I get the parking icon ok, but, I also get the parking icon for all other points, I clicked these points, did a MODIFY, TYPE and selected my icons. At this point I am missing something...the map I got, just had the waypoint number, but no icons. The parking spot had the correct icon. Any ideas please? Thanks.

When you initially select all your waypoints for conversion to a point the next window asks you to select a type...click cancel...this will allow you to use the icons you have assigned to your trail in Mapsource. If you select a type at this point you assign the same icon to every point...as happened to you.

email me your .mp file and I will take a look at what you have....

cf_700 at hotmail dot com

Edited by rws

When you initially select all your waypoints for conversion to a point the next window asks you to select a type...click cancel...this will allow you to use the icons you have assigned to your trail in Mapsource. If you select a type at this point you assign the same icon to every point...as happened to you.

cf_700 at hotmail dot com

Thanks....that seems to work. Next question....is there any way to add tracks, POI's as needed to an already created map without having to work the whole map all over again?

cf-700 at hotmail dot com

Thanks....that seems to work. Next question....is there any way to add tracks, POI's as needed to an already created map without having to work the whole map all over again?

Sure...just open your previous mp file...add to it...save it...recompile it

Thanks!

Um, when you say "add to it" is it that simple, just bring in the poi's and tracks...and re-complie? I do not have to click the tracks and convert to polyline, then the poi's etc? I just tried the simple adding, but it did not work, thanks.

Thanks!

Um, when you say "add to it" is it that simple, just bring in the poi's and tracks...and re-complie? I do not have to click the tracks and convert to polyline, then the poi's etc? I just tried the simple adding, but it did not work, thanks.

Thanks!

I have created a couple of videos (plays in Windows Media Player) showing how to make maps for your Garmin GPSr. Depending how you want to upload your maps to your GPSr...either directly or making a custom installer for Mapsource...use the method shown just after compiling your map from the appropriate video.

The first video shows how to make a transparent map from a track file...also includes a script for Inno Setup that will install your maps into Mapsource where you can pick the map from the dropdown list and upload to your GPSr. Please read/print the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file in the zip file.

Transparent Map Video

The second video shows how to download data from USGS and create a map and then upload directly to your GPSr. Please read/print the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file in the zip file.

USGS Data Map Video

Both videos are guides to making basic maps...when you make your own maps you can make them as complex as you want using additional data from various GIS data sources.

I clicked on the link for the Transparent Map Video and got a "page could not be found" error. Anyone else?

Thanks!

Yes you have to convert the newly added tracks/waypoints to polylines/points....plus any other editing you desire...but nothing more has to be done with your previous stuff.

Thanks for all the help.... the map I have doen so far is working fine... I will try again this week after I get a few more tracks.

Thanks!

Yes you have to convert the newly added tracks/waypoints to polylines/points....plus any other editing you desire...but nothing more has to be done with your previous stuff.

any way to add sat photos as maps?

The only way I know of how to do it is you would have to calibrate the map photo and then trace (creating polylines, points and polygons in GPSMapEdit and compiling a map image in cGPSMapper) the features of the sat photo you would want to display on your GPSr.

The links to the video tutorials have been updated...

Transparent Map Video

USGS Data Map Video

Hello rws,

I tried to build the installer for the testmap. Everything is installed and the programs seem to work well and I used all the directories like you specified them. I get to the testmap.exe, I install it, but afterwards Mapsource doesn't start. After the uninstall routine it does start. I tried to figure out the problem: The detail-map itself seems to be ok. I can send it to the gps by sendmap and I can see it (except the parking place). It seems to me as if the tdb and the testmap.img file don't work properly.

Do you have any advice for me, or could you take a look on the relevant files?

Best regards,

pekkka from germany

Hello rws,

I tried to build the installer for the testmap. Everything is installed and the programs seem to work well and I used all the directories like you specified them. I get to the testmap.exe, I install it, but afterwards Mapsource doesn't start. After the uninstall routine it does start. I tried to figure out the problem: The detail-map itself seems to be ok. I can send it to the gps by sendmap and I can see it (except the parking place). It seems to me as if the tdb and the testmap.img file don't work properly.

Do you have any advice for me, or could you take a look on the relevant files?

Best regards,

pekkka from germany

I will take a look at your files...email me the following: your map .img file, the BMAP .img file, .tdb file, map_pv.mp file and the installer script you used.

send to cf-700@hotmail.com

Sorry to steer in another direction, you sound obviously very knowledgeable, so please bear with me.

Im using "Corel" to make custom waypoint symbols to use in my 60csx. I use x-image. My problems occur when i have to export to save, i get a message that says background will merge with image. I am trying to create waypoints with a transparent background to send back to my 60csx. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can e-mail me if youd like: locorogue3@yahoo.com

Thanks, i hope...

http://www3.polarcomm.com/~rspoonla/misc/MapDemo.zip]Transparent Map Video[/email]dowds3926@shaw.ca://http://www3.polarcomm.com/~rspoonla...926@shaw.ca

USGS Data Map Video

I have been unable to access your tutorial videos ???? Upon clicking on the links , the

server replies " you do not have permission .....

Could you please provide help such that I can access your videos !

regards.

dowds3926@shaw.ca

aggcat

I have been unable to access your tutorial videos ???? Upon clicking on the links , the

regards.

dowds3926@shaw.ca

aggcat

Custom Map Making Tutorial

I have created a video tutorial that uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit and genTYP...very nice front ends for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps with custom color trails into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper, MapsetToolkit and genTYP. Included in the zip file is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps

Here's a video tutorial that plays in Windows Media player to get you started making basic maps by tracing map features in Google Earth and then making and installing the map into your Garmin GPS. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps II

Tutorial 2....adding more detail to the previous Tutorial map....roads, airstrip, resort and parking lots. Once you learn the basics you can add all the detail you want to your maps. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

regards.

dowds3926@shaw.ca

aggcat

Custom Map Making Tutorial

I have created a video tutorial that uses Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit and genTYP...very nice front ends for cGPSMapper...making it real easy to make and install maps with custom color trails into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to make a transparent map from Garmin track files using GPSMapEdit, cGPSMapper, MapsetToolkit and genTYP. Included in the zip file is a READ_ME_FIRST.txt file that has step by step text instructions to follow along with the video.

I would like to access the Tutorial which deals with USGS data to compose the map .

There is mention of an Installer ( Inno based ) and .bat files etc which I would be

most interested to read . The ATV snowmobile ( transparency ) tutorial I was able to

access but still the ones on POLAR I can not .

In particular , could you help me access the USGS tutorial on the POLAR server .

thx,

aggcay

dowds3926@shaw.ca

also emailed same request to cf-700

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps

Here's a video tutorial that plays in Windows Media player to get you started making basic maps by tracing map features in Google Earth and then making and installing the map into your Garmin GPS. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

Creating Custom Garmin Maps from Google Earth Maps II

Tutorial 2....adding more detail to the previous Tutorial map....roads, airstrip, resort and parking lots. Once you learn the basics you can add all the detail you want to your maps. Uses the same software as in the Map Making Tutorial above.

I would like to access the Tutorial which deals with USGS data to compose the map .

There is mention of an Installer ( Inno based ) and .bat files etc which I would be

most interested to read . The ATV snowmobile ( transparency ) tutorial I was able to

In particular , could you help me access the USGS tutorial on the POLAR server .

thx,

aggcay

dowds3926@shaw.ca

I don't use the Polar account for files any longer...all my files are on MediaFire. I don't have the USGS tutorial any longer...it received very few hits so took it down a long time ago and I no longer have that file.

The Inno site has info on how to write scripts for their installer.

thx,

aggcay

dowds3926@shaw.ca

I don't use the Polar account for files any longer...all my files are on MediaFire. I don't have the USGS tutorial any longer...it received very few hits so took it down a long time ago and I no longer have that file.

Is there any chance you could pass along any text notes you developed for use of Inno ?

thx,

aggycat

dowds3926@shaw.ca

The Inno site has info on how to write scripts for their installer.

Yes, a great tutorial, I made my first transparent map in 2 hrs. Now I'd like a script for installing it so i can hand it to anyone interest and all they do is run the exe file to install the maps but that section of the tutorial seems to be broken. ;)

anyway, Thanks RWS, great job.

I used the tutorial before the Inno Setup script file page broke (during a site upgrade).

I made copies of the script files before it broke but it's not easy to explain how to do it. If you want to e-mail me your img, mp, and TYP (if you use one) files I'll convert it to a self-installing EXE for you.

PM me if interested.

Bob

OK, after searching for tutorials on Inno Setup I gave up and dived right in. After a bit of experimentation, examination of existing installation files, I cobbled together this tutorial, it's rough and probably not correct but it worked for me with XP and Vista. The registry portion is the part that I don't understand, seems to be a bit of magic going on but I can say this, watch for spaces, in the registry, they will play havoc with your installation. My Tutorial can be found here, includes the programs also.

PM me with questions, comments or suggestions

Thanks go to RWS, he has the best tutorial for transparent maps building I've found. I also cobbled together his tutorial and the programs, added some notes for clarity along with my Inno Setup tutorial here.