Server down?

beezerb

Yup....

(starts singing)

"server is down down down down down

server-dooby down, down down, down down,

whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!!!"

As I say in my job to folks struggling with their computers, "now you know why they call it a 'cursor'"!

Also reminds me of a good geek story that actually happened...

Some admins were sitting and talking at a Denny's type place after a hard day of struggling with some load balancing. They were blowing off steam about this one server they were dealing with. Swearing about it, angry about it just going on and on.

After awhile, the waitress could not stand it anymore, and came over in tears, almost crying about what she'd done wrong for them to talk about her like that?

They stopped dead and blinked at her...

Trying to explain that they didn't mean HER as the server, but instead their darn computer work was hilarious!

Yup....

(starts singing)

"server is down down down down down

server-dooby down, down down, down down,

whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!!!"

As I say in my job to folks struggling with their computers, "now you know why they call it a 'cursor'"!

Also reminds me of a good geek story that actually happened...

Some admins were sitting and talking at a Denny's type place after a hard day of struggling with some load balancing. They were blowing off steam about this one server they were dealing with. Swearing about it, angry about it just going on and on.

After awhile, the waitress could not stand it anymore, and came over in tears, almost crying about what she'd done wrong for them to talk about her like that?

They stopped dead and blinked at her...

Trying to explain that they didn't mean HER as the server, but instead their darn computer work was hilarious!

That's actually really funny, and may explain the slap I got when I was talking about how absolutely HUGE our server was. Ok, that didn't happen, but with the site down and all, I got nothing else to do but make up stories.

Why can't they do this stuff at 3:00am or something? I'm going through withdrawl symptoms!

a032.gif

No kidding. Don't make me go to YouTube and watch some horrendous videos of people who think they are interesting! I'd much rather hang out here with people who think they're interesting.

Present company excepted of course :unsure:

Alexa.com gives the site pretty good numbers. To handle this traffic I'd think they need something in the neighborhood of 18-20 cpus. My buddy owns a site ranked at 10,000 on alexa. But that is based upon experience with a bizzy freebsd site. A microsoft based server may need more resources.

A ton of things could cause this. HDD's breaking down, RAM busted, with this many machines and this many CPUS/HDD/RAM.... many hardware issues could be the root.

I do NOT envy the server master on this one. But IMNSHO itfeels like a hardware issue.

==========alexa numbers

Geocaching.com

geocaching.com

The Global Headquarters for the Sport of Geocaching. This website includes a large database on caches to hunt down (currently over 200,000), along with general information on geocaching and discussion forums related to geocaching and gps technology.

Avg. Review for geocaching.com: 5.0 of 5 stars

Traffic Rank for geocaching.com: 3,605

Edited by SESCubed

2:20pm Pacific and STILL down!!! Argh!!!!!

This is NOT good for a web site that takes subscriptions! Our subscriptions should be extended by the number of hours geocaching.com is not available!!

A ton of things could cause this. HDD's breaking down, RAM busted, with this many machines and this many CPUS/HDD/RAM.... many hardware issues could be the root.

I do NOT envy the server master on this one. But IMNSHO itfeels like a hardware issue.

==========alexa numbers

Traffic Rank for geocaching.com: 3,605

Thanks for the pointing out alexa traffic info...

Properly designed busy web sites should not go down due to hardware issues like those described above. Busy web sites should have redundant everything and pratically never be down (e.g. load balancers, redundant servers, RAID arrays to avoid HDD problems, etc.)

Our company's web site traffic ranking is: 2,838

Higher than geocaching and if we were down as much as geocaching.com I would be out of a job!

Interstingly my namesake's web site www.amtrak.com traffic ranking is similar to geocaching at: 3,571

Since I can't access geocaching, here's some other traffic info...

Top 10 Traffic Web Sites

1. Yahoo
  2. MSN
  3. Google
  4. Baidu.com
  5. www.qq.com
  6. Myspace
  7. www.sina.com.cn
  8. Windows Live
  9. YouTube
  10. www.yahoo.co.jp

I'm going to get a FTF, because no one else can pull up the page and load the coords!

Actually, that'd be a cheap way to do it.

Yeah, a new cache came out last night around 6:30 pm Central time and it's been down pretty consistently since. So, I haven't been able to get the coords. If anyone was able to get the coords during a moment or two that the server was up (????) then they pretty much have an open shot at the FTF because of the server problem. :unsure: