Don't be a Richard

BillsBayou

See Richard. See Jane.

Jane trades even. Richard treats the cache like his own personal goody jar.

Don't be a Richard.

Jane re-cammos as found. Richard leaves the cache box open on the sidewalk when he leaves.

Don't be a Richard.

more?

Hey, that's my name!!! But I'm NOT a Richard, :P

29083_7200.gifGallant asks permission to hide a cache from a park employee. Gallant insists the park must have a policy and demands permission in writing. The park employee rubs his temples because he already knows about two other geocaches in the park and knows there’s no policy against them. Gallant sends several emails and letters, and even chases the park employee down, insisting he needs permission. Finally, feeling smug and self righteous, Gallant begins to take it up the chain of command until the parks department writes a policy. These new park rules require that geocache hiders apply for a permit that’s only good for one year, requires the cache be physically checked by the owner every 90 days, and obligates the cache hider sign a contract to pay for any and all restoration costs. The new rules also specify what type of container can and cannot be used to hide a cache, thus eliminating any unique and creative cache containers. The park employee shakes his head because even he thinks the policy is stupid, but Gallant feels superior because his simple little game now seems more legitimate.

29083_7300.gifGoofus knows the basis for law in this country, that the law only specifies what you are not allowed to do, thus anything not specifically illegal is automatically legal. He knows the game is silly, he knows it doesn’t cause harm for the most part, and believes the players can self regulate. Goofus also knows the new rules aren’t worth the bother and risk, so he pulls his caches out of the parks.

29083_7200.gifGallant complains when the only caches around anymore are lame micros stuck up behind the guardrail on rural roads.

See Richard. See Jane.

Jane trades even. Richard treats the cache like his own personal goody jar.

Don't be a Richard.

Jane re-cammos as found. Richard leaves the cache box open on the sidewalk when he leaves.

Don't be a Richard.

more?

Funny how I take offense to this post, and don't find it very NMAD funny, but then again thats just me.

Ahh just as a FYI, that last post about gallant & gufus.. DE state parks DO require a form to be filled out & given to the land manager, I do think they are for 1 yr only & the unwritten rule is you check on them if not once a month then every couple months.

And they still consider them a 'grey area' type of thing no matter what their website says.

How do I know this?

I spoke to 1 manager yesterday, found out last nite a family friends husband is another land manager for a different area so talked to him today & got told about the unwritten checking rule.

Dont know about the restoration rule but I do know we have already had one cache in a state park get pulled & a note left in its spot. The cache still hasnt been archived.

I'm sure if I tried putting a cache into one of our wildlife refuge area they would nailed me pretty hard.

Not all states are nice & easy but then again its Criminal posting that so I guess :P applies.

Ahh just as a FYI, that last post about gallant & gufus.. DE state parks DO require a form to be filled out & given to the land manager, I do think they are for 1 yr only & the unwritten rule is you check on them if not once a month then every couple months.

And they still consider them a 'grey area' type of thing no matter what their website says.

How do I know this?

I spoke to 1 manager yesterday, found out last nite a family friends husband is another land manager for a different area so talked to him today & got told about the unwritten checking rule.

Dont know about the restoration rule but I do know we have already had one cache in a state park get pulled & a note left in its spot. The cache still hasnt been archived.

I'm sure if I tried putting a cache into one of our wildlife refuge area they would nailed me pretty hard.

Not all states are nice & easy but then again its Criminal posting that so I guess :P applies.

I wish. No, that's what 'working with' the parks people are going to get us in WA.

How do I know this?

I wish. No, that's what 'working with' the parks people are going to get us in WA.

We got the same in New York, it was 'us' that went to 'them' --- now we need permits.

How do I know this?

We got the same in New York, it was 'us' that went to 'them' --- now we need permits.

Better than them getting irked over caches that they found were there, and then 'them' coming to 'us' and saying that caches are banned in our State Parks.

How do I know this?

Better than them getting irked over caches that they found were there, and then 'them' coming to 'us' and saying that caches are banned in our State Parks.

this is no longer an "underground" game. Parks and lands are aware of us, and there will be more written polices in the future. I think is is better to have to jump through a few hoops than to have land managers ban geocaches entirely.

just my $0.02, your mileage may vary