Geocoin Fest 2007- A National coin event!

Cornerstone4

Whoever wins the poker tournament, may I PLEASE have a poker coin? PLEASE

If you all let me win <_< I will be more than happy to pass out a few to each player :D

OK, same here, if I win the poker tournament I promise to pass out a gold poker chip coin to all the poker players. Actually I'll be happy if I just stick around for awhile and don't loose all my chips in the first few hands!

If you all let me win <_< I will be more than happy to pass out a few to each player :D

OK, same here, if I win the poker tournament I promise to pass out a gold poker chip coin to all the poker players. Actually I'll be happy if I just stick around for awhile and don't loose all my chips in the first few hands!

Ok so now me want me or chief20r2 or TMOCM to win. Remember that poker players!

If you all let me win <_< I will be more than happy to pass out a few to each player :)

Only one ???? :D my offer is at least a few :D Same here will be happy to stick around for awhile :D

a hundred degree temp. change, wow that sounds so weird! hey, at least you're having to adjust to the warmth!

Awww - that's just for the Ladybug Kids. Scobey & I are from the banana belt ... er, Anchorage. We're only looking at about a seventy-degree warmup. Where Ladybug's from the kids run around without coats when the temps move towards zero celsius (Fairbanks goes from 90 in summer to -45 in winter). What will wierd me out is dark nights and green grass (our snow makes night-time a bright-time here!).

I like winter caching - no mosquitos - but since it's warm down there we're bringing a bunch of Alaska Mosquitos along with us...

<_< Those Wolfpack Sweatshirts are gonna feel good out night-caching over in the Palm Springs area before the events...

If you all let me win :D I will be more than happy to pass out a few to each player <_<

Only one ???? :o my offer is at least a few :D Same here will be happy to stick around for awhile :)

Let's just say, that I'd spread the wealth around, what would I do with 210 gold poker chips? :D

In case you didn't know this, TMOCM (Cubby) got sponsored to play in the poker tournament. So...don't be surprised when he takes off his shirt and you see COINSANDPINS.COM henna-tattooed across his back. <_<

No, no, no this is not true! :blink: I've not been sponsored by anyone to play in the poker tournament. In regards to the tattoo, well............No Comment.

In case you didn't know this, TMOCM (Cubby) got sponsored to play in the poker tournament. So...don't be surprised when he takes off his shirt and you see COINSANDPINS.COM henna-tattooed across his back. <_<

No, no, no this is not true! :blink: I've not been sponsored by anyone to play in the poker tournament. In regards to the tattoo, well............No Comment.

I took it as more of a joke in comparison to the real WSOP players who have various caps and clothing advertsing their sponsors. Of course, I could have taken it wrong myself. I just figured Yime was attempting humor with his post.

I took it as more of a joke in comparison to the real WSOP players who have various caps and clothing advertsing their sponsors. Of course, I could have taken it wrong myself. I just figured Yime was attempting humor with his post.

It was a joke, I just playing along, and didn't want anyone to think otherwise. :( Using the smiley guy with shades, since I'll need them in CA next week!

<_< Those Wolfpack Sweatshirts are gonna feel good out night-caching over in the Palm Springs area before the events...

You do bring up a good point here that everyone should be aware of.

Yesterday, when I posted that picture, it was around 80 degrees out. This morning, it was in the low 40's. Out in Palm Springs at this time of year, it wouldn't be unheard of to have day temps in the 80's or 90's, and have the evening temp drop below freezing. When the sun goes down in the desert, it can get cold fast.

So be prepared if hiking out there. Bring plenty of water for the daytime hikes, but make sure you have something warm in your pack in case you get stuck out there for the night!

Those pictures posted by Cornerstone4 really hit the spot. In order to provide some contrast I took a couple of pictures yesterday near sunset on a jobsite in Chaplin, Saskatachewan. Chaplin is the home of a major producer of soda ash, even in the summertime there are hills of white stuff everywhere that look exactly like snow, in the winter it is snow! The temperature when I took these pics was hovering near -20C which is around -12F, very cold. The blue light stems from the fact that it is near sunset, making the pics even cooler (like crakes "cool" Suncatcher, the blues make it seem cooler).

We are not worried about being caught out in the desert when the temperature hits 40F <_< because we will have hockey duffel bag loaded with some serious winter wear in the back of the van somewhere, Ihope it stays there until we get back to Canada.

a1955d3d-0128-4757-85f5-5141f026c504.jpg

Three feet deep in places, that is a lot for the prairie in southern Saskatchewan.

393bdb89-37c5-4533-8c92-d37f10f87e77.jpg

In the winter you can still use your tractor, just get the plow attachment!

We are looking forward to going to California.

Well, the first long-range forecast for February 17 is out, and it is pretty much as expected.

Feb 17 Saturday

Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

A more detailed report says a predicted high of 69° and a low of 36°. A 10% chance of precipitation, 44% humidity, and winds up to 9 or 10 MPH.

Some things to consider when visiting our little corner of the world:

Plan to stay hydrated! Our weather can sneak up on folks not acclimated and dehydration is just no fun. Moderate amounts of water, gatorade, juices, etc., can help a lot. Carbonated and adult beverages (including coffee and other caffeine sources) can increase the chance for dehydration.

Sunblock is important in February in the arid areas of California! A hat, sunglasses, and a lightweight longsleeve shirt can be very helpful also. Our predicted moderate UV index is a lot more than folks north of 45° are used to.

The weather here can change quickly this time of year. What is predicted as a high near 70° in 10 days can easily be revised to the mid-fifties next week. Since the low is expected in the 36° range, there will be a substantial swing from the time you start geocaching in the morning, until afternoon, and cool off quickly in the evening. This temperature swing is normal here, but catches a lot of visitors off guard. Be prepared to layer, and consider contingencies.

Forgive me for lapsing into my lecture mode, but we really hope everyone has a good time, and it is easy to overlook the issues with our weather.

On a positive note for those who don't like close critter encounters, it is still quite cool for the cold-blooded, and I haven't seen any snakes, lizards, or arachnids out and about yet. It is always good to keep an eye open, but there shouldn't be much crawler activity for another six weeks or so.

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

Well, the first long-range forecast for February 17 is out, and it is pretty much as expected.

Feb 17 Saturday

Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

A more detailed report says a predicted high of 69° and a low of 36°. A 10% chance of precipitation, 44% humidity, and winds up to 9 or 10 MPH.

Some things to consider when visiting our little corner of the world:

Plan to stay hydrated! Our weather can sneak up on folks not acclimated and dehydration is just no fun. Moderate amounts of water, gatorade, juices, etc., can help a lot. Carbonated and adult beverages (including coffee and other caffeine sources) can increase the chance for dehydration.

Sunblock is important in February in the arid areas of California! A hat, sunglasses, and a lightweight longsleeve shirt can be very helpful also. Our predicted moderate UV index is a lot more than folks north of 45° are used to.

The weather here can change quickly this time of year. What is predicted as a high near 70° in 10 days can easily be revised to the mid-fifties next week. Since the low is expected in the 36° range, there will be a substantial swing from the time you start geocaching in the morning, until afternoon, and cool off quickly in the evening. This temperature swing is normal here, but catches a lot of visitors off guard. Be prepared to layer, and consider contingencies.

Forgive me for lapsing into my lecture mode, but we really hope everyone has a good time, and it is easy to overlook the issues with our weather.

On a positive note for those who don't like close critter encounters, it is still quite cool for the cold-blooded, and I haven't seen any snakes, lizards, or arachnids out and about yet. It is always good to keep an eye open, but there shouldn't be much crawler activity for another six weeks or so.

Dave_W6DPS

Thanks for the update :rolleyes: The Mrs will be delighted :huh: to know that the cold-blooded creatures are for the most part not and about yet :o

Well I am getting really excited, only one week until I leave for LAX. My sister, a non cacher has decided to join me for the trip and wants to go to Warner Brothers Studio on that Friday morning. Needless to say I want to go caching, I see that Griffith Park is right near by and I am planning to head over there while she is at the studio. Is anyone else going to be caching in LA Friday? If so maybe we can get together. I am also planning to cache my way down the coast to San Deigo later that day, and do some caching out at Point Loma Saturday morning before heading up to the event. If anyone else will be in those areas let me know, maybe we can join forces and snag more caches. :rolleyes:

All good words of wisdom! I grew up in Tucson and lived in Huntington Beach for a bit before migrating north and am well acquainted with the extremes Palms to Pines and other bookmark lists will expose us to. Our (the Alaskan Wolfpack's) packing challenge has been how to come prepared for temperatures from 20° to 90° F, wind, rain, and bright sun, and to get it all to fit in carryon along with coins, GPSs, laptops and other electronics, power strips, headlamps, camelbacks, etc. We're limiting ourselves to carryon only because who wants to be hanging around an airport waiting for a bag when they could be out on the Boo Hoff or Pushawalla Power Trails?

Thanks for the tips!

Georgia folks are used to the yo-yo style weather. Perfect example is that at this time yesterday we were at 64 and today it's 46. Still a large drop for 24 hour period.

We've been pretty steady in the single digits this week. I'm hoping by the time I get back from Cali my pipes will be unfrozen :rolleyes:

Pixieslayer should be on the road tomorrow! :o

Who else is getting ready to leave?

NorthWes has been in "gone" mode for 3 months. He is so excited he has to wear dark pants to work. We will be almost done with Boo Hoff this time next week :o

Well that's a funny way to put it... :rolleyes: ...but it's close to the truth!

...I've been pretty much ready to go since November... :huh:

...got the great decals, the banner, the custom log stickers...

...I just need to see a picture of Cornerstone4's cachemobile now... :o

...and yeah, Dave - I've got my shades! :o

13a2819b-c840-48f1-a6c6-8be82adf329d.jpg

We'll be on the road a week from today :rolleyes: . Wanted to fly but didn't want to lug all of the heavy metal on board. Certainly would not have put the heavy stuff in checked baggage--no telling where it might have shown up. :o Looking at the map, I think we will leave I-8 around El Centro instead of going all the way to San Diego and up. We'll go north, from El Centro then up into the mountains on secondary roads and down into Temecula. Looks like a few caches are along the way. Can't wait, see you there. :huh:

I'm envious......

1 hour to Auckland, 2 hours sitting in airport and through immigration, 12 hours flight, restless sleep, 1 hour queue in LAX, immigration, bag pick up, customs, 1 hour sitting outside airport at 8am in the shade waiting for the right bus, 1 hour bus, hotel arrival, check in, sleep & shower, then another 2 hours maybe to fest site....

Oh well - maybe next time.... was a little slow off the mark this year.

Have fun everyone!

:rolleyes:

Wow! Next week I will be.... stuffing 180 goodie bags :huh: But at least I will be able to get a glimpse at all the generousity early :)

How is the 'Guess the Coins' Jar coming? Have a sneak peak for us? :)

Yeah. Good question. How many do you have so far? And do you still need a "jar"?

Wow! Next week I will be.... stuffing 180 goodie bags :lol: But at least I will be able to get a glimpse at all the generousity early :lol:

How is the 'Guess the Coins' Jar coming? Have a sneak peak for us? :lol:

I could just list out everything here... doh! ;) sneaky! very sneaky!

Edit: I have to figure out how to ship without costing $460.00! ;)

Edited by avroair

Pixieslayer should be on the road tomorrow! :lol:

Yep, we leave in about 8 hours. We're going to the TriCities event in Tennessee on the way down, then it's a few days at my parents' house so Ginormobaby can get used to them again before I drive the other half of my trip. I'm so excited that I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone there and I hope everyone has a safe trip. ;)

Pixieslayer should be on the road tomorrow! :lol:

Yep, we leave in about 8 hours. We're going to the TriCities event in Tennessee on the way down, then it's a few days at my parents' house so Ginormobaby can get used to them again before I drive the other half of my trip. I'm so excited that I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone there and I hope everyone has a safe trip. ;)

Drive safely! We'll see you next week!

Just an FYI in case you don't check the GeocoinFest forums...

There are a few cachers that are taking a Hot-Air Balloon ride on Sunday morning. They are making arrangements in the event page forums. Some of them are completing goals for their balloon coins as well! ;)

If you are interested, drop in. (I probably shouldn't say "drop" when talking about balloons!) :lol:

Just an FYI in case you don't check the GeocoinFest forums...

There are a few cachers that are taking a Hot-Air Balloon ride on Sunday morning. They are making arrangements in the event page forums. Some of them are completing goals for their balloon coins as well! :lol:

If you are interested, drop in. (I probably shouldn't say "drop" when talking about balloons!) ;)

Thanks for sending the info ;)

One last teaser....

I don't have them in-hand yet, but here is a pic of the special Compass Rose coin only available at the event...

c28141ad-0331-40a8-b1dc-45de8ae19a35.jpg

Wow, by photo that is now my favorite of this year's Compass Rose finishes. If anyone going to the event gets an extra I would trade you for any of the other 2007 finishes (including Satin Gold) or for a 2006 Compass Rose.

jrr