Geocoin Fest 2007- A National coin event!

Cornerstone4

Ok, with 22 days left, I am getting more and more excited about this. I was wondering what everybody needs to do to get ready. I have made hotel reservations, hubby got his vacation request in. What I have to do left is get my coins organized and figure out what we are driving down. Oh, and get Legoland tickets for Friday. How is your list shaping up?

We need to get the car all checked (oil change, fluids, brakes, etc.), tell the girls teachers how long they will be out & get the makeup school work, get lots of money to buy coins, organize all of our coin collection into binders, get all the extra traders ready, wait for the FedEx man to deliver our 2007 personal coins that will be trade only, pay for our record coins for p/u at the event, get my brother to feed the animals while we are gone, I sure there is other stuff....but these are the important things.

Wow it is quite a list......I better get to work!

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't care, I was just curious. So is there a limit to the pre-order or the more the merrier?

Here is the answer to the people the do care:

When we open up Pre-Orders, we will limit it to 2 per person to be picked up at the event. This will be for the first 300 coins. This allows everyone to have the chance to get 2 coins without the mob of people at our table. I am adding a little extra into peoples Pre-Order bag as well :D.

The rest will be sold First Come First Served at our table, no limit.

I hope I am reading this wrong. It sounds to me like the coins can only be picked up at the Event. The first 300 will be pre-ordered and picked up at the event. The rest will be sold at your table at the event. I got the e-mail requesting a response as to how many one wanted and I told you how many I would buy. I was assuming that at some point in time, they would be placed for sale on the site as I won't be attending the event (although I would love to). Hopefully I am misreading the above.

Rubiconlwb I think you are thinking about 2 different coins.

Coins & Pins is doing one that can be bought by anyone. They sent out an email requesting responses for the General Public Event Coin. It will (I guess) be for sale on their website and they will ship them to the buyers.

Oakcoins is doing one that can only be picked up at the event. They have not (to my knowledge) sent out any emails regarding that coin yet. It looks like they will pre-order the Event Attendee Only Coin and you can p/u and pay at their vendor table at the event.

I hope all that is correct and that it clears up the confusion. Also keep in mind I am not on the organizing team for this event. This info is just what I gathered from the emails and this thread.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't care, I was just curious. So is there a limit to the pre-order or the more the merrier?

Here is the answer to the people the do care:

When we open up Pre-Orders, we will limit it to 2 per person to be picked up at the event. This will be for the first 300 coins. This allows everyone to have the chance to get 2 coins without the mob of people at our table. I am adding a little extra into peoples Pre-Order bag as well :D.

I hope I am reading this wrong. It sounds to me like the coins can only be picked up at the Event. The first 300 will be pre-ordered and picked up at the event. The rest will be sold at your table at the event. I got the e-mail requesting a response as to how many one wanted and I told you how many I would buy. I was assuming that at some point in time, they would be placed for sale on the site as I won't be attending the event (although I would love to). Hopefully I am misreading the above.

There are two coins. The one you got the email on is a public event coin that will be sold by Coins and Pins sometime in early February. That sale will be announced on the event page, in this thread and in an email from Coins and Pins to their email subscriber list.

The coin from Oak is only available for purchase by those attending the event. Details on this preorder will be forthcoming.

Edited by AtlantaGal

S

o is there a limit to the pre-order or the more the merrier?

Sounds like a good solution.

Yep, one less coin to buy at the event! Freeing up more cash for other coins (and food)! :o

Oak and C&P

Can you please, let us know when both coins are ready to purchase with a link here. :D

Ok gang, when you get a minute, check the event page HERE and see if your state is colored in!

We have about 22 or 23 states still showing white, let me know if we missed you!

Whats up with the Great Plains? I guess nobody caches there eh?

:D

Edited because I am tired, and an idiot on top of that! I linked to the website, and the map is on the event page! DOH! :laughing:

Edited by Cornerstone4

Ok gang, when you get a minute, check the event page HERE and see if your state is colored in!

We have about 22 or 23 states still showing white, let me know if we missed you!

Whats up with the Great Plains? I guess nobody caches there eh?

:)

Edited because I am tired, and an idiot on top of that! I linked to the website, and the map is on the event page! DOH! :laughing:

That's alot of red, I like maps, any way to get it posted in here like the Geocoin Fairy thread? :)

Does the map distinguish between NorCal And SoCal? :)

Rubiconlwb I think you are thinking about 2 different coins.

Coins & Pins is doing one that can be bought by anyone. They sent out an email requesting responses for the General Public Event Coin. It will (I guess) be for sale on their website and they will ship them to the buyers.

Oakcoins is doing one that can only be picked up at the event. They have not (to my knowledge) sent out any emails regarding that coin yet. It looks like they will pre-order the Event Attendee Only Coin and you can p/u and pay at their vendor table at the event.

I hope all that is correct and that it clears up the confusion. Also keep in mind I am not on the organizing team for this event. This info is just what I gathered from the emails and this thread.

I was wondering after I sent my post if that might not be the case, thanks for setting me straight. It was a little confusing to me. I would so love to attend the event but it just did not work out for us this year. We will make every effort to attend next year. We hope everybody has a great time, we'll be thinking about you when we are here in the cold and snow of Wyoming and you are all there in California, basking in the sun and having a great time. :laughing::):)

Ok, with 22 days left, I am getting more and more excited about this. I was wondering what everybody needs to do to get ready. I have made hotel reservations, hubby got his vacation request in. What I have to do left is get my coins organized and figure out what we are driving down. Oh, and get Legoland tickets for Friday. How is your list shaping up?

Done: Leave approved; new flooring for house rescheduled for installation after return from event; team has plans firmed up for two days of advance caching in Palm Springs area; airline, hotel & car reservations made; bag's packed (much to my wife's bemusement!). ;)

Left to do: Hide/mail 'thank you for letting me go play in SoCal with my friends' cards for my doting wife; Print cache log labels; Sift planned routes for easy benchmarking opportunities; Mull over 'wolfpack' icon for the team (we have a kind of AK-SoCal 'Moose on the Loose' Cache'N'Dash icon, but we're referring to ourselves as the Alaska Wolfpack... yes, I'm seeing some self-identity issues here to settle in advance... What angst! Prey or predator? Our 2005 geocoin featured a moose, but our 2006 geocoin features a wolf... and we're not even going to discuss a team logo based on the to-be-released-at-the-event 2007 Alaska microcoin... now THERE's a real prey vs predator caching conundrum!). *sigh* Seems somewhat petty in the face of world news... but it's gonna be fun! :D

I wonder if the Geocoin fairy is going to the event...she has only placed 223 coins, so she must still have coins left.

That would be sweet to get a chance at one of those cute coins...I think I would like to have one, but I can only hope.

Pepper

A GCF coin was graciously and anonymously donated to the raffle so someone will have an opportunity to win one there. (coin #003 I believe) :laughing:

Is anyone unveiling a new coin at the event? I hope to have my new personal available for the Fest. :D

We have had such freakishly good weather out here that I've been getting anxious about it holding out for so long. I don't think we've even had 1/2 inch of measurable rain since the first.

We have a small system in today that is giving us light rain. Hopefully, we get a bit this week, and then it will clear for a few more! I keep reading everyone's posts about coming out to the sun! I hope the weather cooperates!

I keep reading everyone's posts about coming out to the sun! I hope the weather cooperates!

I dunno young man I'm was gonna hold you accountable for the weather? :D

Pepper

Naw, don't blame that Dave--but, feel free to blame me! (Because I don't care...)

Kind of mixed bag in the next few days--several days with highs in the seventies, and a few bitterly cold "California Winter" days when it only gets to the sixties. :lol:

Lows are consistently in the thirties, and it cools off quickly in the evening, so bring a sweater and/or jacket.

I'll update periodically....

Dave_W6DPS

Ten day forecast for Temcula:

Jan 30 Today

Cloudy with occasional rain showers. High 59F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Jan 30 Tonight

Cloudy with occasional rain showers. Thunder possible. Low 39F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

Jan 31 Tomorrow

Rain showers in the morning becoming more intermittent in the afternoon. Thunder is possible early. High 58F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Jan 31 Tomorrow night

Partly to mostly cloudy. Low 36F. Winds light and variable.

Feb 1 Thursday

Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

Feb 2 Friday

Mostly sunny. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

Feb 3 Saturday

Mainly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 30s.

Feb 4 Sunday

Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 30s.

Feb 5 Monday

Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 30s.

Feb 6 Tuesday

Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 30s.

Feb 7 Wednesday

Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 30s.

Feb 8 Thursday

Sunshine. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 30s.

Is anyone unveiling a new coin at the event? I hope to have my new personal available for the Fest. :)

If the USPS holds up its end of the deal, the 2007 Alaska micro coins and pins will make their Outside debut at the Geocoinfest.

frontsatingold300.jpgbacksatgold300.jpg

Pin_Rev2sm2.JPG

For more information on these coins, visit the GeocacheAlaska! geocoin webpage. We'll open a separate thread in these forums after the event for online mail order sales.

It's going to be tough going to Southern California. You guys are experiencing temperatures not too different from our summertime, so we're going to have to watch for hyperthermia and dehydration :). That funny walk of ours is the icy parking lot shuffle that's going to take awhile to shake off...kind of like getting one's land legs back after months at sea :lol:.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

It's going to be tough going to Southern California. You guys are experiencing temperatures not too different from our summertime, so we're going to have to watch for hyperthermia and dehydration :). That funny walk of ours is the icy parking lot shuffle that's going to take awhile to shake off...kind of like getting one's land legs back after months at sea :).

ROFLMAO! :lol:

Does it look more like a penguin waddle or an elephant strut? :)

In just 2 weeks from today we will be on our way to GCF!

roadtrip.gif

HOORAY!

Where are the 3 minature smiley heads in that wagon? :o

They are lying down and asleep and quite....just like it will be in real life! (yeah right!!) :D:D:wub:;)

In just 2 weeks from today we will be on our way to GCF!

roadtrip.gif

HOORAY!

Hope your car rides a little smoother or it's going to be a loooooong ride ;)

I hope so too.....I would have some headache by the time we got there! :blink:

We've had some e-mails recently asking if we'd be there with our laptops ready to talk design... Unfortunately, we booked a holiday last August which we mentioned a few months ago when this date was announced. As we watch this unfold it's with mixed feelings that we won't be there. You will have our logo on your t-shirts though and at least one new Landsharkz designed coin is making the journey in a client's luggage :blink: .

Question for the organizers-

I don't suppose there will be wifi computer access at the event? :blink:

Someone trying to be FTF to log the event? :wub:

We will have a power cord and I think a couple people have mobile sprint cards, but beyond that we are at the whims of what is local. (I will ask C4).

I'm getting rather excited as the date gets closer. I have no idea what I should be bringing...

A smile, good cheer and a few of those shiny things... ;)

If you purchased a goodie bag prior to the deadline, here is the tie-tack pin and patch set you'll receive complements of The Caching Place. Aren't they nice!!!

patch_pinphoto.jpg

Nice! :( They look great!

Pretty, very pretty...

I too am a bit excited it's been 2 and 1/2 years since I was in Califormia (thanks for making it memorable Marky)...see y'all soon.

Hea Marky I have an idea you can bring your little wife! :anicute:

Pepper