Geocoin Fest 2007- A National coin event!

Cornerstone4

On another note, I just heard on the radio today that if you want to go over into Mexico, it now requires a passport to get back into the States! :lol:

I haven't followed up on it, but I had informed several cachers that asked me that all you needed was a drivers license to get back from Tijuana. If you were planning on adding another country to your stats, you had better check into the new info before you cross the border! :)

The CoinQuest proofs are also in!

The GeoCoin Quest, sponsored by Hogwild Stuff, will combine geocaching and geocoins. Attendees who preregistered will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet along with coordinates for a nearby cache where geocachers will embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin!

The coins United... :):lol::)

b50444bf-5f09-4516-abeb-abed871546ff.jpg

Edited by avroair

Being that I have to travel to Canada frequently for business, I've kept up to date on requirements going in and out of the country.

As of January 23, 2007 a passport is required if you are travelling to another country by air.

Starting January 1, 2008, a passport will be required when travelling by land or sea.

Lately, if travelling to Canada by land, they would require a birth certificate along with a valid state ID. This is what I was planning to bring should I decide to try at one of the caches in Mexico :)

US gov travelling requirements

Hope this helps :lol:

Edited by -Eleanor-

The GeoCoin Quest, sponsored by Hogwild Stuff, will combine geocaching and geocoins. Attendees who preregister will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet along with coordinates for a nearby cache where geocachers will embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin!

That is beautiful!

Being that I have to travel to Canada frequently for business, I've kept up to date on requirements going in and out of the country.

As of January 23, 2007 a passport is required if you are travelling to another country by air.

Starting January 1, 2008, a passport will be required when travelling by land or sea.

Lately, if travelling to Canada by land, they would require a birth certificate along with a valid state ID. This is what I was planning to bring should I decide to try at one of the caches in Mexico :)

US gov travelling requirements

Hope this helps :)

Yep, that helps a bunch!

Thank you so much. I heard the blurb on the radio this morning, but I didn't catch all the details. Don't want to lose anyone before the event! :lol:

The event should travel thruogh the US so maybe in New York or Michigan maybe. :lol:

Michigan or New York is fine, just not in February! :o Or maybe just change the name to GeoSnowFlake :):)

Agreed! February just sort of fell together for this years event since we had the space then...anyone that wants to host next years event can pick whatever timeframe suits their area...just keep in mind the other Mega events and the weekends they usually fall on.

Agreed! February just sort of fell together for this years event since we had the space then...anyone that wants to host next years event can pick whatever timeframe suits their area...just keep in mind the other Mega events and the weekends they usually fall on.

Well if it is anything like the winter we are having here, it won't even be cold! If just started to snow about 2 days ago! And has been in the high 40's!

If the event does come to michigan (which I hope it does), it will be a very good event and could be set to May time peroid when it is alot warmer. I might want ot be one of the hosts for next year if school allows it. Also, how do you get on the committe for the Geocoin Fest for next year?

The GeoCoin Quest, sponsored by Hogwild Stuff, will combine geocaching and geocoins. Attendees who preregister will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet along with coordinates for a nearby cache where geocachers will embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin!

That is beautiful!

I had the honor off seeing the sampe of this coin and putting it together. It is really awesome, everyone is going to love it!

....Well if it is anything like the winter we are having here, it won't even be cold! If just started to snow about 2 days ago! And has been in the high 40's! ....

The 10-day current forecast shows highs in the high 60s, lows in the high 30s. This is average for this time of year, through the middle of March. Incidently, our record high for February 17 is 86°, and the record low was 28°.

For those who don't use Farenheit, that equates to an average high of around 21°C and average low of about 3°C. Records of 30°C and -3°C.

February is usually our wettest month, with an average of 72.6 mm (2.86 inches). That is precipitation in the form of rain--I don't remember the ground in the valley ever having snow cover, although a couple of times I have seen light snow falling, and the surrounding hills get dusted occasionally. (If you want to ski or snow-board, it is about a two hour drive to either the San Bernardino or San Gabriel mountain ski areas.)

I'll update the weather when the 10-day forecast includes the events, and then again right before, if anyone is interested.

If anyone has other questions, I'll try to answer them.

I'm not really involved with the Geocoinfest organizers, but I have been geocaching around here the last 4 years out of the 15 that I have lived in the area...

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

Attendees who preregistered will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet along with coordinates for a nearby cache where geocachers will embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin!

A quick question about this in case it hasn't been brought up or mentioned. With the rate that coins are muggled, isn't this a major risk with other people's coins? Plus what happens when someone takes two instead of one. Does that mean the last person to get their coin just goes home with half a coin? Like I said, just a question.

Attendees who preregistered will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet along with coordinates for a nearby cache where geocachers will embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin!

A quick question about this in case it hasn't been brought up or mentioned. With the rate that coins are muggled, isn't this a major risk with other people's coins? Plus what happens when someone takes two instead of one. Does that mean the last person to get their coin just goes home with half a coin? Like I said, just a question.

I'm guessing that the coins will not be in the final cache. I'm thinking you'll have a ticket to earn the second piece, just like the Oldest cache in New Jersey project. Seems easier . . . :lol:

I'm guessing that the coins will not be in the final cache. I'm thinking you'll have a ticket to earn the second piece, just like the Oldest cache in New Jersey project. Seems easier . . . :lol:

Was looking for more than a guess...

That is correct. What you wil find in the cache is a coupon to redeem your 2nd half of the coin. You bring that to Hogwild Stuff along with your first half of the coupon and I hand you the other part.

The nice thing about this particular design is that neither half by itself is a very good coin so the likelyhood of someone wanting have seems pretty low, but you can never tell I guess.

I'm guessing that the coins will not be in the final cache. I'm thinking you'll have a ticket to earn the second piece, just like the Oldest cache in New Jersey project. Seems easier . . . :)

Was looking for more than a guess...

But I'm a good guesser :lol:

Thanks for the quick answer. Having seen some pretty low things recently from people in here who you would never expect it makes me wonder now. I am glad to see that they can't be muggled and noone will have to worry about that with the coins.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your concern, but we have things set up pretty well in order to insure everyone has a great time here. (Although we can't control the weather portion of things...but my buddy Dave will keep us posted on those developments! :) )

Anyway, the coupons will be in a cache that you have to find. As Steve has already explained, the method for retrieving the other half is pretty fool proof...but then again...I've met some pretty persistent fools in my time. :lol:

In order to prevent another topic of angst from rearing it's ugly head, I have set up a cache specifically for this quest. The cache was submitted and approved, but not published, over a month ago. The cache will go live on Saturday evening...AFTER the event is over. This way, everyone that participates in the coin quest game can log the cache as well. This will allow everyone the chance to log the find that is concerned about numbers, and it will avoid any drama about folks posting multiple logs to the event page.

So again, thanks for sharing your concerns. I noticed you are pre-registered, so it is admirable of you to look out for everyone else. :)

As I have been reading about this event, there seem to be a lot of coins made for this event. My question is how many different coins are being made including, coinsandpins.com, coin quest game, the regular event, and the poker game?

Hey, it's an International Coin Event, of course there are lots of coins! :lol:

Ok, let's see if I can summarize here...

Event Coin- Done by Coins & Pins. Available in different finishes to be sold from there website to anyone that wants them.

Attendee Only Coin- Done by Oak Coins, (I've seen the artwork, it will be another one everyone wants.) This coin will be done in a limited finish for the pre-registered attendees, and will be available in other finishes for anyone attending the event. (Finishes TBD at the time of this post.)

Coin Challenge Coin- This is the coin made by Hogwild Stuff that you have seen pictured here. As you already read, 1/2 of that coin will be in each pre-registered attendee's bag...they'll have to work for the other half! :)

Poker Placeholder Coin- This coin is being done by the gang at Geocoinclub. Everyone playing poker will get one. There will be a number of them on the final table that the winners will split! In addition, there will be a different finish, (Or 2), available for all attendees to purchase at the main event, as well as at the poker part of the event.

Whew! That's a lot of coins! (I'm sure I goofed something up here, but I think I got the basics right.)

Then, if anyone has any money left over, they can purchase some Temecula Valley hot rod coins at the event the next day!

The coins looks great. So, with the 3 metals, is it going to be one of those metals in the goodie bag or do we still need to buy all three for a complete set which is only completed by going to the event?

We just gotta know!

I wish I could answer that for you...we'd all like to know too! :lol:

As soon as it is finalized, we'll post here. To be honest, I opened up a can of worms with the finishes. One of the vendors told me they wanted to release multiple finishes...and I said to go for it...of course, I didn't consider the fact that we already had agreements in place with everyone limiting finishes. So, now, to be fair, we are relaxing that restriction some. Once we know the details, we'll let you know.

Sorry for the confusion...it's my bad. :)

One thing I can tell you...the coins for sale by Coins&Pins will not be available at the event. The limited finish on the coin by Oak will only be availabe to the pre-registered attendees. You won't be able to buy that one...

Am I misunderstanding? The event coin won't be for sale at the event? Or that there will be finishes of it not available at the event?

There are 2 event coins! :lol:

One is for sale by Coins&Pins, and anyone can buy them. They should be available shortly.

The other coin is for attendees only. There is one LE version of the attendee coin that is only available in the pre-registration packages. There will be a standard version available to anyone that attends.

Then there are the two game related coins...

Have I completely confused you yet? :)

The coins looks great. So, with the 3 metals, is it going to be one of those metals in the goodie bag or do we still need to buy all three for a complete set which is only completed by going to the event?

We just gotta know!

The coin produced by Coins and Pins is not part of the goodie bag. If you want one or all three finishes, you will most likely have to purchase that from their website. As to whether or not they're bringing any remaining stock of the coin to the event remains to be seen. If you want the coin, I recommend purchasing it from their website to be sure you get one.

The number of coins being minted for this event is unreal, gotta love it! So who do I endorse my income tax refund check to? :)

Couldn't have said it better. The bank will be broken at this event :lol:

It's not just event coins. Many of the vendors are launching new coin editions and special designs limited to the event as well.

It will be crazy :)

But really, the event coin won't be available at the event? Really?

We had 4 main sponsors that gave large donations to help us bring this event to you!

In order to make it fair to all the vendors, we divided up the areas they could participate.

Coins&Pins is doing their coin that is available to the general public.

Oak is doing an event coin that is only available at the event

Hogwild Stuff is doing the coin for the challenge game.

The Geocoinstore is sponsoring the poker tourney, and is making the coin for that!

Phew!

But really, the event coin won't be available at the event? Really?

We had 4 main sponsors that gave large donations to help us bring this event to you!

In order to make it fair to all the vendors, we divided up the areas they could participate.

Coins&Pins is doing their coin that is available to the general public.

Oak is doing an event coin that is only available at the event

Hogwild Stuff is doing the coin for the challenge game.

The Geocoinstore is sponsoring the poker tourney, and is making the coin for that!

Phew!

Okay, I really don't mean to be a pain. I really appreciate all that all of the vendors are doing to sponsor this event. It just seems to me that I will be traveling a long way, and spending alot of money to get there. It seems a tad unfair that the event coins are not available at the event first, then sold to the general public later. It looks like I'm attending this event, but could easily miss out on purchasing it.

Okay, I really don't mean to be a pain. I really appreciate all that all of the vendors are doing to sponsor this event. It just seems to me that I will be traveling a long way, and spending alot of money to get there. It seems a tad unfair that the event coins are not available at the event first, then sold to the general public later. It looks like I'm attending this event, but could easily miss out on purchasing it.

<_<

You're worried since you've only seen the artwork for 1 coin, and you don't have to worry missing that coin, it should go on sale any day now. It will definitely be on sale well before the event. I'd be surprised if folks don't have orders in-hand before the event.

I can't show you pictures of the other two coins yet, we are waiting for pictures of the proof sampes first.

If you know anyone signed up for poker, they should have received an email showing the place holder coin artwork.

Any day now, one of us will post a picture of the event coin that is only available at the event. I have it on good authority that Oak coins are in China and will be picking up the samples in-person as early as tomorrow!

I can tell you are going to ask me another question, but I'm leaving for home now...you'll have to wait to hear from me again! :(

:(

All of the vendors who are making coins for this are sponsoring this event, whether they are selling their coins there or not. Each vendor was designated a particular coin and how it was to be sold for this event. You certainly don't have to buy it, but just because it's not "at" the event doesn't make it any less unofficial.

I'm pretty sure the organizers were just trying to make sure that everyone would have a chance at getting an official event coin, even if they weren't so lucky to be able to attend in person. For those privelaged enough to go there are of course those special "attended" coins.

Ok I'll bite. Why is it unfair? One edition is available to everybody, and others are only available to those who attend.

Did I miss something?

Ok I'll bite. Why is it unfair? One edition is available to everybody, and others are only available to those who attend.

Did I miss something?

I'm getting over this one. It just seemed strange to me that an event coin wasn't at the event. Not that it wasn't available to everyone...I'm glad everyone will have the opportunity to purchase it. I just thought normally event coins were available at the event. Saves on shipping for attendees.

??? kealia = Pepper? :blink:

Yes, didn't you know my alter ego is Pepper. Now you can direct any and all flames to her account :blink:

(Pepper and I met in Washington right before she moved to Texas - for clarification)

Hehe..sorry, couldn't resist. It was the way it was worded it almost looks like you replied under a secondary account. :rolleyes: Read it a couple times and you can probably see what I'm saying.

Poker Placeholder Coin- This coin is being done by the gang at Geocoinclub. Everyone playing poker will get one. There will be a number of them on the final table that the winners will split! In addition, there will be a different finish, (Or 2), available for all attendees to purchase at the main event, as well as at the poker part of the event.

This is almost right :blink: There will be this "marker" coin. Everyone playing poker is getting a free players-only edition as part of their 3 Geocoin buy-in and also have the option to reserve up to 3 in the "world" metal. All players should have gotten an email to ask for reservations from AG. If you are playing and did not get the email, you can contact AG or me at mike@geocoinclub.com and we'll get you on the reservation list. The ones not reserved by players will be available to other attendees while supplies last.

In addition to the marker coin, we are donating "chips" for the tourney. At the final table of the poker tournament, all clay chips will be taken off the table. All players will "color up" and play with real, live, metal geocoin "chips" made custom for the tourney and winner takes all 200+ of these bad boys home as part of their winnings. They are not trackable, but the only way you can get one is to win or be good friends with the winner :rolleyes:

This is almost right :blink: There will be this "marker" coin. Everyone playing poker is getting a free players-only edition as part of their 3 Geocoin buy-in and also have the option to reserve up to 3 in the "world" metal. All players should have gotten an email to ask for reservations from AG. If you are playing and did not get the email, you can contact AG or me at mike@geocoinclub.com and we'll get you on the reservation list. The ones not reserved by players will be available to other attendees while supplies last.

In addition to the marker coin, we are donating "chips" for the tourney. At the final table of the poker tournament, all clay chips will be taken off the table. All players will "color up" and play with real, live, metal geocoin "chips" made custom for the tourney and winner takes all 200+ of these bad boys home as part of their winnings. They are not trackable, but the only way you can get one is to win or be good friends with the winner :blink:

Woo Hoo!

Ok, who's excited now? I've got a seat at the table...I can't play poker very well...but it will be fun anyway. (I've heard one of the Groundspeak Lackeys that is playing is a "ringer" anyway! :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike for the clarification! Please feel free to post pictures as soon as you have them available!

Woo Hoo!

Ok, who's excited now? I've got a seat at the table...I can't play poker very well...but it will be fun anyway. (I've heard one of the Groundspeak Lackeys that is playing is a "ringer" anyway! :blink:

No ringers at my tables :blink: I'll be dealing the final table, so everyone has just as much of a chance to bring home the gold as the next person. Except me, that is :rolleyes: