Geocoin Fest 2007- A National coin event!

Cornerstone4

On the poker website it says that you will determine the value of the coins to buy in and that it can't be coins that have been sold or am I reading it wrong.

No coins "currently available for sale" can be used.

Thanks for the clarification Chief. No coins currently for sale at the time of the event, and no micros. That is the basic rule structure, to encourage playing with coins that people would consider worth spending 3 hours of their time. As for value, I will be the judge on any coins that meet this criteria but perhaps don't quite qualify in some people's minds. Or perhaps don't meet the criteria but are so rare/hard to find that they should be in the pot.

For example, and to clarify that this is not meant as a slam on the makers of this coin, I will not be accepting Maine geocoins. Maine had a minting of somewhere over 2500? (guess) and in my opinion may not be viewed as valuable as some other state editions. That is not to say that Maine wasn't a nice geocoin. And, some people might view Maine as the best geocoin ever minted. Maybe there is a micro coin that is just so dern hard to find that it has to be included. Like a BGF Minnow.

Any other coins that perhaps run into this situation will also be reviewed. If you have questions, please feel free to actually send me the list of the three coins you plan to use. If you do, I will not be sharing anyone's list. No sense stirring the pot early (pun intended).

****edit to add

In case anyone didn't see, I will NOT be playing. So, I plan to be a fair and neutral judge on any entries since I'm not eligible for a share of the winnings :santa:

Edited by The Moop Along

Example, say someone puts in a lacky coin, a mountainbike coin and a volunteer coin. How would that be fair if someone else puts in a current standard USA Geocoin, Generic Geocoin and FTF Coin. So the disclaimer is no coin currently available for sale or being sold at the time of the event.

I agree and what might be valuable to me may not be valuable to The Moop Along so I wondered if a list would be put out ahead of time. I believe he had answered the question by saying that he would accept an email ahead of time to judge the value of the coins.

Example, say someone puts in a lacky coin, a mountainbike coin and a volunteer coin. How would that be fair if someone else puts in a current standard USA Geocoin, Generic Geocoin and FTF Coin. So the disclaimer is no coin currently available for sale or being sold at the time of the event.

I agree and what might be valuable to me may not be valuable to The Moop Along so I wondered if a list would be put out ahead of time. I believe he had answered the question by saying that he would accept an email ahead of time to judge the value of the coins.

To be honest, I don't see it being a huge issue. But, I am going to be impartial. Coins that I may not be seeking might be very popular. I will be taking that into consideration. I read these forums for hours a day, and if I have a coin or two that might be in a grey area, I'll cross that bridge then. I plan to use popular consensus on "value".

If I get an inquiry from someone that I feel needs to be addressed, I will post it here. So, to start with:

Coin entries will not be valued on trackable vs. non-trackable on GC.com or any other site for that matter.

I mean, I'd have to tell the person who ponied up their Indy Diver v1, sorry, it's not trackable.

(JUST KIDDING, No Indy Diver v1's were really offered in the making of this post)

I figured it exactly the same way. I am thinking it will be a great way to put memento and memory together. I see that there are actually three prizes so there will be more than one winner as well!!!

Winning any amount of geocoins would be a bonus but I think the real memento will be that Geocoin Poker Challenge coin, I will be very happy if that is all I walk away with. See you there -mike-.

:)

Since there were 2 open spots in the poker tourney, I figured I would ante-up and play!

Well, then AG informed me that one of us needed to be free in case something came up! :)

I even my my list of entry coins ready to send to TMA for approval:

Moun10Bike Ver. 1

Groundspeak Lackey

Capt. Prozac

Oh well, maybe next time.

:blink:

:(

Since there were 2 open spots in the poker tourney, I figured I would ante-up and play!

Well, then AG informed me that one of us needed to be free in case something came up! :D

I even my my list of entry coins ready to send to TMA for approval:

Moun10Bike Ver. 1

Groundspeak Lackey

Capt. Prozac

Oh well, maybe next time.

I'll trade you my spot for your coin entries :D

Preregistered attendees so far:

0R0B0RUS - Alan

0R0B0RUS - Camilla

3blackcats

Allinfun - Audrey

Allinfun - Linda

AtlantaGal

Avroair

Bee_girl

Bjorn74

Blind Avocado

C A Royal Flush - Charles

C A Royal Flush - Sandy

CachingCoins - Sandy

CachingCoins - Tom

Caching Widow

Castle Man

Chief20r2 - Charlene

Chief20r2 - Norman

Clay4

Claysgirl

Cog&Gil - Collins

Cog&Gil - Susie

Condor Man

Cornerstone4

Crazycavelover

CTYankee9

Dave_W6DPS

Desert Kat & Catdaddy - Kathy

Desert Kat & Catdaddy - Mike

Dgreno

Dhenninger

Dooley2001

Dorkfish

Droo

Duncan!

-Eleanor-

EScout

Famgeo

find Waldo

FluteFace

Fossillady

F0t0m0m

Frivlas

GoBolts!

Go Jaybee

Gramma Seeker

Grcarlson

Haughton's Hunters

Hn25slc

HomiesfromAl

Jake - Team A.I.

Jeepnakd

Jevans7

JJG10101

Joani

John&Jess

Johnny Boy and DB Cooper

JrJeepr

Jslagle

Kusanagi

Kawikaturn

Ladybug Kids

Lajoie 5

Lemon Fresh Dog

LitLens

Littlest Wave

Lookielulu

Luc88

Mama Cache

Mamaloo

Marky

Marlin01

Meg Ryan

MerMissie

Mojavewanderer

Moun10bike

Mrs Avroair

MustangJoni

NCad

Nero

Nicolo

Nielsenc

Nooks

NorthWes

OneAngryPuppy

Over the arizona hill gang

Pacholik

ParentsofSAM - Stephanie

ParentsofSAM - Jason

PassingWind

Pepper

Piglit9

Pixieslayer

Prntr1

q22q17

Raunjohn & Annie - Ann

Raunjohn & Annie - Raun

Red Ryder

Rey del Roble

Rivercity

S and B C - Dave

S and B C - Sandi

Sassy&Gordy

Scobey

Shaggy0228

SLO Trekker

SnowWolf75

Southbayday

Sparky!

Summerandnana

TeamAirik - Marc

TeamAirik - Rick

Team Geo-Rangers - Sharee

Team Geo-Rangers - Brett

Team OleOmi

Team Reid - Kathy

Team Reid - Robin

Team Rise Over Run - Audrey

Team Rise Over Run - Erin

TeamTettamanti - Alex

TeamTettamanti - Chris

TeamTettamanti - Nick

thBriGuy

The4Splinters

The Cach-u-nuts

The Fat Cats - Pat

The Fat Cats - Sue

The Moop Along

TMOCM

TNTC - Tanya

TNTC - Teri

Trippy1976

Vicarlos

Wavector

WhirledCache

Whitebear

After reading another posting here about mailing coins internationally, I was wondering if someone could have an exhibit or table set up for info on mailing. My little local PO has no clue & I think I have been overpaying. :( I have no clue what you are talking about, when a discussion of packages & forms comes up. It sounds like I'm not the only one confused! It certainly sounds like the different PO don't have the same rules. :D

Have hotels been arranged yet. I already got one but if I can find a cheaper rate, that would be great. Did yall make any deals with Comfort Inn in Temecula?

We are excited, I think I am more than the rest. We are only going for 4 days because of school etc.

Look forward to both events!!

Elisa of georeynozos.

Can I still sign up for poker? If so, I would like to... thanks, CCL

You can still sign up for wait list seats only. The main tournament seats are spoken for. If there are no shows, I will be using the wait list players first come, first serve. Check out the geocoinfest website for how to sign up for the waitlist.

Thanks so much. <going to site to get on wait list> ;)

Happy New Year, CCL

Five weeks from today!!!

Guess I should buy a plane ticket. :)

If anyone has any other state, personal or other coins they would like to donate to the raffle (which will be free) or for the "guess the number of coins in the coin jar" sideshow drop me an email. I can also accept them at the event themselves. (and 'no' I don't know the current number! :D )

Edited by avroair

Greetings GeocoinFesters!

After keeping the project under wraps, I'm happy to reveal to the forums...the design of the 2007 GeocoinFest Coin that will be available to everyone!

1111-geocoinfest07-275.jpg

KarelKraak's unique GeocoinFest logo is prominently displayed on the front with a few special "tweaks". It's a 2" coin, and will be available soon in Antique Bronze, Antique Copper and Satin Gold, through CoinsAndPins.com.

Happy Geocoining!

Yime

Greetings GeocoinFesters!

After keeping the project under wraps, I'm happy to reveal to the forums...the design of the 2007 GeocoinFest Coin that will be available to everyone!

1111-geocoinfest07-275.jpg

KarelKraak's unique GeocoinFest logo is prominently displayed on the front with a few special "tweaks". It's a 2" coin, and will be available soon in Antique Bronze, Antique Copper and Satin Gold, through CoinsAndPins.com.

Happy Geocoining!

Yime

Very nice! Outstanding as always and the color play for the antique is really nice. It's the little details that really dress this up. I had my reservations as well about the logo for a coin, but your really pulled it off with your typical attention to detail. I'm definitely in for a few of these. :)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I just received notification from Aaron about the coins along with a request to indicate how many of each metal I wanted. I too never order an entire set but since I won't be able to attend (which I REALLY, REALLY wanted to do), I thought I should have the whole set. I hope everybody has a great time and I already have my hopes up for attending next year. Thanks for making this happen, everybody.

I just received notification from Aaron about the coins along with a request to indicate how many of each metal I wanted. I too never order an entire set but since I won't be able to attend (which I REALLY, REALLY wanted to do), I thought I should have the whole set. I hope everybody has a great time and I already have my hopes up for attending next year. Thanks for making this happen, everybody.

I got the email, too...the coins look GREAT! I think there should be a special coin for those of us that REALLY WANT TO GO, but can't...engraved with something like...My geocaching buddies went to Geocoin Fest, and all I got was this coin.

There's ads on TV here in the PHX area about flights to the LA area for $49. It's almost tempting enough to jump on, but then there's getting from the airport to the event... and it's really not that far of a drive for me. And I'd rather not worry about airport security and geocoin collections.

Besides, I'm thinking of a few caches between here and there I'd like to hit.