Newbie looking for a GPSr

HortonK

Hi All,

I have been checking out the web site and forums for a few weeks now. I recently discovered geocaching, but unfortunately have not been able to go out on any hunts until I get a GPSr. I have a coworker who will let me borrow his Explorist 400, so I'll at least know whether it is something I really want to sink dollars into.

After considering opinions from the forums, outside reviews, etc. I have narrowed my search to the Magellan Explorist 500 and the Garmin Vista Cx.

My criteria is:

- main purpose is for geocaching, so entering/downloading waypoints should be easy

- would like some turn-by-turn autorouting capabilities for our occasional out-of-town trips

- unit cost ~$200 (Amazon has the Explorist 500 for $180 and the Vista Cx for $230 after $50 rebate)

- memory card expandability to load detailed city maps for the occasional out-of-town trips

- color screen

I would buy the 60CSx in a heartbeat if the price was closer to my range (same holds for the Explorist 600). The cost ceiling is mainly because I acknowledge the additional city maps will add ~$100 to the total unit cost. Again, I'll be testing the Explorist 400, and wish I could find a Garmin unit locally for testing (I did handle my uncle's 60CS for a few minutes in Montana and was very impressed).

I am curious about user opinions for the autorouting on the Vista unit. Is it similar to the 60CSx with beeps before and at the turns? [Edit: OK, I confirmed the Vista does this] Also, for the Explorist 500, I read that voice navigation is possible. Any comments?

Based on the hierarchy of the Magellan and Garmin lines, it appears the Magellan is a better value for the dollar, but I do not want that to be the primary factor for my decision (unless the units are deadlocked).

I have read the Garmin has an easier interface for mapping, and can handle this web site's waypoint downloads directly versus converting to a proprietary format. Also, the Vista Cx has an electronic compass. While I am not yet convinced this is a necessity, it does appear to be a nice feature.

For Magellan, I like the button setup on the front of the unit, and I am not clear how navigation works on the Garmin Vista. Another reason I wish the 60CSx was a little cheaper...

I do not care about AA batteries versus a rechargable Li-Ion, as I see advantages to both.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have found the forums very helpful these past few weeks!

Edited by HortonK

Nick,

Do you have to be a Costco member to order? I have been contemplating the 500LE at Costco. Based on the value of the package, I guess I could live without the electronic compass.

I will be using a friend's Explorist 400 this weekend for my first cache hunts. Hopefully this will tell me all I need to know about whether to continue pursuit (although I am such a tech geek I think it is already a given).

After considering opinions from the forums, outside reviews, etc. I have narrowed my search to the Magellan Explorist 500 and the Garmin Vista Cx.

These two units aren't really comparable in terms of features. The Vista Cx has the altimeter and 2-axis electronic compass. A more direct competitor to the Vista Cx would be the eXplorist 600, which has the barometric altimeter, 3-axis electronic compass, and thermometer. My question is, do you really need these extra features? A good baseplate compass can be had for $10, and the GPSr will display altitude (not as accurate vertically as horizontally, but some users have found their GPS-derived altitude accurate). An eTrex Legend Cx is more comparable to an eXplorist 500, and I recommend the Venture Cx over the Legend because the microSD card on the Legend Cx is too small and the data cable can be found cheaply if you don't already have one from your digital camera, PDA, or MP3 player. I should note that the eXplorist's receiver is better than the color eTrex's in wooded areas, but you'll still find caches no matter what you buy.

I am curious about user opinions for the autorouting on the Vista unit. Is it similar to the 60CSx with beeps before and at the turns? [Edit: OK, I confirmed the Vista does this] Also, for the Explorist 500, I read that voice navigation is possible. Any comments?

The eXplorist 4/5/600 beep approaching a turn. A slow series of beeps followed by a fast series of beeps when you're right on top of the turn. Voice prompts are not possible on the eXplorist, and not a feature available on outdoor handhelds.

I have read the Garmin has an easier interface for mapping, and can handle this web site's waypoint downloads directly versus converting to a proprietary format. Also, the Vista Cx has an electronic compass. While I am not yet convinced this is a necessity, it does appear to be a nice feature.

You most likely will be using a program on your PC for managing waypoint files, like GSAK or Garmin's own MapSource. GSAK (which uses GPSBabel) can easily export to an eXplorist or eTrex. Converting files is not as big of a deal as it sounds. It's just a few mouse clicks and a few seconds of your time.

Edited by geognerd

Just do the explorist. Explorist software looks old-school but it has very advanced hardware. Garmin is eye candy, but I like the way the explorist functions and operates.

for your requests:

1.You can hook it up to the computer and easily download waypoints.

2.If you have mapsend directroute, yes.

3.like you said.

4.Of course.

5.Yes.

Nick,

Do you have to be a Costco member to order? I have been contemplating the 500LE at Costco. Based on the value of the package, I guess I could live without the electronic compass.

I will be using a friend's Explorist 400 this weekend for my first cache hunts. Hopefully this will tell me all I need to know about whether to continue pursuit (although I am such a tech geek I think it is already a given).

Yes, you have to be a Costco member.

Nick

Based on my experience, you do not need to be a Costco member - when I added it to the cart and checked it - they charged me a 5% surcharge for not being a member - $9.

I bought one yesterday. Hoping I made the right decision. The Venture CX is $199 from WalMart.com before the $50 rebate. I'm a newbee to all of this, but I borrowed a Meridian Gold and enjoyed caching.

K I would like to buy me a GPS. I know nothing about them besides what they do and the basics on how they do it. Now love the sport is one more excuse to go out and hike and explore the country. and even harder urban one's but if I was to want to get one that would be pretty much dedicated to Geocacheing be able to do the downloads of waypoints for the comp and all that what would I buy.

Just trying to keep cost down a bit. have a family and all. I am already a knowlegable orienteerer( or at least used to be it's been awhile) so gps is just a way to find the caches.

Thanks

stienthor

OK, so I owe everyone an update. I recently decided to purchase the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx. After reading everyone's opinions, I agree the Venture Cx is probably a better deal for the money, but I did notice in a Garmin brochure that the Venture is not capable of autorouting. I'd like to hear from some Venture owners to see whether this is accurate. It could certainly change some opinions...

I do like the Garmin line, although I miss the button layout from the Magellan 400 I borrowed. After a few furtive cache hunts in cramped spaces, I am considering exchanging the Legend for the Vista to utilize the electronic compass for easier orienteering when I am 5-10 feet away and in a tight spot. Any thoughts on the benefits would be appreciated. I found a decent deal on the Vista Cx ($210 after rebate) at an online retailer, so the cost versus the Legend is negligible.

....but I did notice in a Garmin brochure that the Venture is not capable of autorouting.

That is not true. The Venture does not autoroute but the Venture CX does.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on the Vista CX. A $10 handheld compass will do the job better and you should already be carrying one (you never know when your GPS will break or run out of batteries).

Sorry for the panic, I just checked the Garmin website and autorouting is capable on the Venture Cx. I will recheck the pamphlet, but I am 99% sure it says no autorouting on the Venture Cx.

I am now in process of exchanging my Legend Cx for a Venture Cx. The 32MB microSD card and mini USB cable really do not help at all. I plan on purchasing a 1GB microSD card (~$35) and I have a mini USB cable for both my digital camera and my Blackberry. So I get the same functionality at a lower price. The price difference between the Venture and Vista is just too much to justify the electronic compass.

Thanks again for everyone's help!