Calling All Graphic Designers...

AtlantaGal

Ok here is a question from me who knows nothing about this art work stuff....

If you make a picture and it is saved as a jpg or tiff or pdf and then you just save it as a .eps does that make it scalable? Or does that just make it an eps file.

I am so confused.......I may just give up.....the designs here in this thread are already so nice!!

If you make a picture and it is saved as a jpg or tiff or pdf and then you just save it as a .eps does that make it scalable? Or does that just make it an eps file.

I am so confused.......I may just give up.....the designs here in this thread are already so nice!!

If you have an idea, post it in whatever format you have. I'd like to see everyone's ideas, even if they aren't polished. We can always enlist the help of one of the other members to make it the right format if we select your design...

Don't give up! A jpg, tiff, bmp, tga, gif, etc are files containing pixels and therefore can not be scaled up. EPS or Encapsulated Post Script is fancy words for a file that contains information based on simple instructions that tell another computer to draw a line from point A to point B. Every time it's used it can be told to draw longer lines making it great for scaling.

OK so here is my attempt...obviously it needs help. I wanted the coins to be more like grapes and be layered in the design but could never figure out how to do that......

GCFLogo1.jpg

I am sure someone with talent and skill could make it look really great. :P

Here is my other idea....needs some work too. I could not figure out to make the text shaped nicely around the edge.

GCFLogo2.jpg

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Amateur artist question...what does scaleable mean?

Vector art could be another term. The artwork can be increased or reduced in size without effecting the quality of the image. In otherwods, the art doesn't have to be redrawn to fit a certain item.

OH well I have no idea how to do that. Guess I'm out, good luck to everyone else! It would be great to see all the entries here even if the event committee is the only ones with votes.

To clarify a little more for those that don't understand the different between vector and raster.

Raster art examples are - JPG, GIF, TIF and PNG

Vector are examples are - AI (Adobe Illustrator), DWG (AutoCAD) and CDR (Corel Draw)

To explain WHAT the difference is, try this. Open a JPG you have on your computer in your favorite paint program or graphic viewing program that you can zoom in with. I use ACDSee for viewing, but MS Paint works for this purpose. Now, start zooming in. Notice how the lines are getting thicker and real jagged and "blocky"? This does not happen with a vector graphic, lines stay crisp and clear and the same width.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and taking a JPG and saving it as a vector format does NOT make it vector.

If you have an idea, post it in whatever format you have. I'd like to see everyone's ideas, even if they aren't polished. We can always enlist the help of one of the other members to make it the right format if we select your design...

thanks - you may get another chalk drawing at this stage from me :)

As AG stated, the deadline for submissions is tomorrow.

The committee will then go through all the submissions, and present the finalists. We will then open a poll on the GeocoinFest website and everyone will have a chance to pick their favorite.

The website will be ready soon, they are waiting on a lot of info from me regarding local attractions, etc. I have been swamped with a design project, and just popped in here for a quick breather!

Back to work!

Just a friendly reminder to everyone submitting. The original specs indicate no gradient (mixes) colors. This would also indicate no drop shadows that use gradients either. Solid colors will be needed to do print screening or vinyl cutting apparently. There's still some time to make adjustments and there are some really nice ones showing up, too! Keep'm coming, these are some great ideas :mad:

Here's another.

draftlogo06.jpg

Very nice, but please note that we won't be able to use anything resembling the Groundspeak logo due to trademark violations.

Also the stuff Fox and the Hound mentions... no gradients. Solid colors only please.

Edited by AtlantaGal

The four colors behind it looks good and I don't think they have rights to colors in boxes! Very nice!

The colors "looking" nice isn't an issue.

Having a logo that looks like or uses part of another trademarked item is a problem though. That's why the back of the absolute coin is not squares, btw.

Besides, since Groundspeak is an event sponsor, we certainly wouldn't want to create anything that might upset them :mad:

Again, please refrain from using anything that resembles the Groundspeak logo, thank you.

The four colors behind it looks good and I don't think they have rights to colors in boxes! Very nice!

The colors "looking" nice isn't an issue.

Having a logo that looks like or uses part of another trademarked item is a problem though. That's why the back of the absolute coin is not squares, btw.

Besides, since Groundspeak is an event sponsor, we certainly wouldn't want to create anything that might upset them :mad:

Again, please refrain from using anything that resembles the Groundspeak logo, thank you.

If that's really an issue then the absolute coin shouldn't have been made as it closely resembles the Absolut brand.

There should be no legal issues with using the four colors in a box as the image showed above.

Note: this is a personal opinion, not that I'm speaking on behalf of Groundspeak or giving legal advice.

Now if you don't want to use the colors, that's a different point.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster