Amazon.com and Canada

Hello all. I don't know if I have this posted to the correct form or not, so my apologies in advance if that is the case. I found a GPS on amazon.com that I am interested in. The Amazon Canada site does not have the particular GPS. My question is this (or are these). First of all, can you buy through amazon using Paypal. Will they ship to Canada. Does it have to be on credit card. And can a Canadian apply for their credit card for the $30 discount. Thanks.

Hello all. I don't know if I have this posted to the correct form or not, so my apologies in advance if that is the case. I found a GPS on amazon.com that I am interested in. The Amazon Canada site does not have the particular GPS. My question is this (or are these). First of all, can you buy through amazon using Paypal. Will they ship to Canada. Does it have to be on credit card. And can a Canadian apply for their credit card for the $30 discount. Thanks.

Duh. I think you should send an eMail to Amazon USA. <_<

Duh. I think you should send an eMail to Amazon USA. <_<

Thanks Dick. Do you seriously think I didn't try that? DUH

From reading their web site it doesn't appear that they will shipp electronics outside the states. Also their list of acceptable payment methods doesn't include PayPal.

El Diablo

Great, thanks. I was kind of thinking that, but i couldn't find out for sure. I had heard that they would ship to canada, but couldn't find it stated on their site. Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I've tried to order a few things from amazon.com. They're excellent for ordering DVD's and random hardware stuff from (ie: I got my bike lock from there... I think. Don't quote me on that), but pretty much anything other than DVD's and CD's, they're pretty well useless for us Canadians.

You can't order GPSr from US Amazon and have it shipped to Canada...cuz I look at it already...doesn't work...I don't know why they don't carry any GPS model in the Amazon.ca website?

I wrote them, this is what I wrote:

09/02/06 19:34:21

why you don't sell any GPS

Unit on your Canadian website? You have lots of them on Amazon USA

website...so I was wondering why don't you sell them on your Canadian website?

What is the deal with it and is there a policy not to sell to Canadian

customers?

Thanks for reading!

Their replied:

3 Sep 2006 03:05:51 -0700

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.ca:

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced thus far.

We expect our Canadian web site to expand and improve the selection

of products and services we provide, but we have no further details

to give you at this time regarding our plans for offering GPS Unit

in our website.

However, I have passed your message along to the appropriate people

in our company for their consideration.

We hope you enjoy our current offerings, and encourage you to check

back on our web site often.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.ca.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

Well, you said you contacted them; what did they answer?

Well. Crap, I'll never ask a question like this on this forum again. It seems that those who have no useful answer still need to chime in with their 2 cents.

Their response to my email instructed me to contact Amazon.ca. I already knew this was useless as they dont carry gps's on their website. They did not tell me whether or not paypal was accepted, whether or not i could apply for the amazon.com credit card, and no useful information other than contact Amazon.ca, which was pointless. Therefore I posted here. And why would anyone need to know their reply in order to answer my question. I'm sure you're no further ahead for knowing it. Thanks to the few of you who did give a useful, positive response.

Answer 1: Amazon doesn't accept paypal

Answer 2: They don't sell GPS to Canadian people!

Answer 3: Yes, they accept only credit card

Answer 4: You can't apply for the discount if you're not from USA, it sucks I know

Answer 1: Amazon doesn't accept paypal

Answer 2: They don't sell GPS to Canadian people!

Answer 3: Yes, they accept only credit card

Answer 4: You can't apply for the discount if you're not from USA, it sucks I know

Thanks beautyisgod. I guess all would be solved if Amazon.ca would carry GPS's. But then again, I still doubt that they would be as cheap as in the US.

Well, you said you contacted them; what did they answer?

Well. Crap, I'll never ask a question like this on this forum again. It seems that those who have no useful answer still need to chime in with their 2 cents.

Their response to my email instructed me to contact Amazon.ca. I already knew this was useless as they dont carry gps's on their website. They did not tell me whether or not paypal was accepted, whether or not i could apply for the amazon.com credit card, and no useful information other than contact Amazon.ca, which was pointless. Therefore I posted here. And why would anyone need to know their reply in order to answer my question. I'm sure you're no further ahead for knowing it. Thanks to the few of you who did give a useful, positive response.

1. relax, man. Life is short, no need to worry to much

2. I guess you spent too much energy answering my question. For future, if you don't like something it is better to ignore that post, don'tcha think?!

3. I was curios to see what they said, even for the fact that one day I or somebody else might want to buy something from them.

Another couple of cents (Canadian... of course)

Thanks beautyisgod. I guess all would be solved if Amazon.ca would carry GPS's. But then again, I still doubt that they would be as cheap as in the US.

Well if you knew someone in the US that you could trust, you could PayPal them and have them ship it to you.

I don't believe that Canadian Customs will even charge duties if it is coming from the US due to NAFTA.

El Diablo

I don't believe that Canadian Customs will even charge duties if it is coming from the US due to NAFTA.

El Diablo

If only that were true :P I've stopped ordering stuff from the states due to the unpredictability of this.

Another note for the OP - should you go this route stay away from UPS (Unmitigated Pond Scum) as they're infamous for high brokerage fees.

El Diablo

If only that were true :P I've stopped ordering stuff from the states due to the unpredictability of this.

Another note for the OP - should you go this route stay away from UPS (Unmitigated Pond Scum) as they're infamous for high brokerage fees.

Dunno where the OP is from in Canada but from around Montreal there are 2 alternate ways to order in the US:

- Get it sent to a place in the US near the border that will hold it for you for a small fee: here we have "Champlain forwarding service" (or somesuch) that is about 1 km from the border on I-87. Then you're on your own to go thru Canadian customs.

- Instruct the shipping co. to "hold it for customs" (or, again, somesuch). Works very well with UPS because of what PDOP mentionned and the fact that the customs office and the UPS wharehouse are 10 min. apart in Montreal. Once your box has arrived at the wharehouse: you go there to get the custom paperwork for your box, drive over to the customs office and then go back to the wharehouse to pick up your stuff. Half an hour and usually much much cheaper than what UPS would have charged.

Otherwise, AFAIK NAFTA applies only to goods produced in the US, not made in taiwan like the gecko 201 I bought for my bro.

myrddin99

Looks like your brother to the rescue again eh?

Heheh...yes Chaos, it looks like it.

Someone mentioned UPS charging high brokerage fees. They certainly do. And it's unpredictable. Sometimes the charge on a 200 dollar item is less than a 50 dollar item. I don't know if it's standard or if the UPS driver in my area is a con artist.

Hey Laurontario. I'm relaxed. I guess it's the first replyer that p*ssed me off..my apologies to you if i offended you. The reason for all my questions in the beginning was this. I saw the Etrex Venture CX on Amazon.com for $199.99 with free shipping. Then there is the $50 Garmin rebate, bringing it down to $149.99. Then if you apply for their credit card there is another $30 discount. bringing the price down to $119.99. So that was what I was getting at..i was trying to figure a way to get that GPS. To buy that GPS here at Canadian Tire is $235 (US). That's crazy.

Well if you knew someone in the US that you could trust, you could PayPal them and have them ship it to you.

El Diablo

I once ordered a 120GB HDD from US through pay pal, i paid $200USD when it first arrive I think...not sure, but it was expensive...and the guy sent to me, and later I have to pay additional fees of $53 dollars for custom fees, it sucksss!!!!

Not sure how NAFTA works, but I think it only for products made in US and not in Taiwan or China...like I said, I am no idea, but think i've heard it somewhere

these are questions for Amazon, not another companies forums.

Duh. I think you should send an eMail to Amazon USA. :D

Thanks Dick. Do you seriously think I didn't try that? DUH

with responses like that, the only response you SHOULD expect from people is a nice long finger.

remember, this is a geocaching forum, not gps tech support for dummies. (amazon MIGHT have that book)

PS. don't EVER buy ANYTHING from amazon with a rebate. they do not honor there rebates and there are lots of complaints about it online. it took me a year and threats of a lawsuit to get mine, and all they did was refund my purchase price.