Garmin Legend or Magellan Explorist 500 GPS?

Vegasmo

I have a mild personal preference for Magellan and recently bought an X500. However, the X500 uses its own file format (upt. or geo.) which I'm finding tedious. You can load loc. or gpx. directly into that Garmin. That's the file format you'll get from GC.com.

I drop everything into GSAK (a wonderful program for managing gpx or loc files) and it converts to load into the X500. But you could skip that step with the Garmin.

You will need a copy of EasyGPS. I *believe* it's MAC compatible, someone who KNOWS will log on here soon. I'd check but I can't get onto GC.com at the moment. Easy GPS is available from the site, free. I'd be surprised if it didn't have MAC compatibility.

Which Legend are you talking about? The old blue Legend, the Legend C, or the Legend Cx? The eX500 beats the blue Legend and Legend C hands down. As an eXplorist owner, I'd pick the eX500 over the Legend Cx due to familiarity with the product. The eX500 has a better receiver, but the Legend Cx has better autorouting and customer support.

If you are interested in the Legend Cx, I would suggest looking at the Venture Cx. Same GPSr, but the Venture Cx does not come with the microSD card or cable. You may already have the cable (mini-B USB), or you could get one cheap. The microSD card that comes with the Legend Cx is either 32MB or 64MB. If you get serious about putting street and topo maps on the receiver, you'll want to get more memory anyway. I haven't checked microSD pricing recently, but I remember seeing 512MB for $40, and you can probably find even better deals now.

I'm just speaking about the GPS receivers themselves. I don't know how well they'll work with a Mac. Likely depends on what software is available.

You're comparing apples and oranges. A Legend is Garmin's entry level, budget mapping unit. The eXplorist 500 is one model below Magellan's top of the line unit. So of course the Magellan would be better.

A more valid Garmin vs. Magellan comparison would be would be a 60CX or Legend CX vs. the eXplorist 500

Moving to the appropriate forum

You're comparing apples and oranges. A Legend is Garmin's entry level, budget mapping unit. The eXplorist 500 is one model below Magellan's top of the line unit. So of course the Magellan would be better.

A more valid Garmin vs. Magellan comparison would be would be a 60CX or Legend CX vs. the eXplorist 500

I recently purchased the eX500 to get started caching again after 2 years, since there are may more site now. I had an old "pre-Legend" unit then, but the accuracy was off near the end, making it no fun. I looked at the L-CX, but chose the eX500 for features, size, ease of handling, etc. Just started caching a few days ago, and the unit has hit GZ each time with-in 10ft by squaring off the area. The only features I don't like are (but will live with) is

1) Inability to store multi-cache point on the run. For the 2nd point, I need to either use the map page to move the cursor to the right LL's and mark, or edit another POI to that same LL. It work fine, but just doesn't show it as a cache. Is there any other way, one the run with out the PC.

2) The Magellan geocache is handled by manual entry downloaded to the eX500. I cannot get it to download from the GC site. I'll live with that also, since I usually research the caches on the PC, and pre-select what I want. With 5 year old tagging along, the 4-5 terrains are usually excluded, and the fun one's are selected. The nice feature with the Mapsend Software is the ability to upload all geocache points to the PC software and work the mapping there, on both the AutoRoute and Toto-3D software.

The eX500 is not everything, but then, what is....I'm keeping it, happily!

I am also new to this and have been looking at the same units. I found that at the magellan site

http://www.magellangps.com/promotions/mstopo_program.asp

They have a topical map for $10 on new purchases. Please see this portion of their ad

"With MapSend Topo 3D USA, you can tilt, rote and explore maps in 3D on your PC. Detailed elevation contours, streets and extensive points of interest make navigation fun and easy with your Magellan eXplorist handheld GPS. Now for a limited time, you'll receive MapSend Topo 3D USA for $9.99 with the purchase of a Magellan eXplorist 400, 500, 600 or XL. (That's a $140.00 savings!)"

If you are a member of Costco you can go to their website, WWW.Costco.Com,

they have the new Magellan Expl. 500LE, plus MapSend Topo Map, shipping and handling for $179.99.