First dig, semi-rare BM

Milo Jacks

Hello all,

Did my first benchmark dig on 10-17-2006, NH0399. An updated NGS data sheet showed a "Mark Not Found" on 3/31/2001 by the US Powers Squadrons. Last recovery was 1943.

Okay, this could be a challenge. I've found a few other BM's but recovering a lost marker just seemed more worthwhile. Used the GPS coordinates and got within 100'. Found a Western Union manhole cover but it looked to new. Decided to do some rough measuring and paced out an arch 30' SW from the manhole. Paced out another line 20' from the W rail. X marks the spot right? Don't we all wish?

Started by clearing away all the under growth and brush, then about 6" of dirt. At this point I realized I was already more than 1' below rail top (per NGS data sheet). Decided to do some probing and about 2' S of X I started hitting something. Cleared more dirt away and could see it was concrete. I kept brushing dirt away, looking for the edges and with a few more swipes of dirt I saw some brass. There it was, on its side about 2' deep. What a rush!

Note to self: Probe first, and then dig!

Submitted it to the NGS.

This is my 1st post here, hope I didn't make too many mistakes. Not sure how to post a photo here but did post some on http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=NH0399

Thanks,

Milo Jacks

Edited by Milo Jacks

That marker is in worse than poor shape--it is destroyed. If it is tilted as much as it appears it is in no way usable for any surveying purpose. If you haven't already done so take some pics of the marker that show the amount if damage and send them to Deb Brown (deb.brown@noaa.gov) with a description of what you found.

Looks like I didn’t make too many mistakes, JUST THE BIGGEST ONE I COULD.

My bad! Thanks for the correction mloser. I emailed Deb some pics and will make the correction on geocaching.com when I get her reply.

Hope I didn’t get the condition wrong on another, PID NH0400. Submitted a recovery to NGS listing condition as “Good”. It’s solid in position but not exactly “health and happy”.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=NH0400

Thanks to all for the help.

Milo Jacks -

Actually, reporting a mark as Destroyed is the most tricky and can be the biggest mistake. Whether NH0399 is really POOR or DESTROYED is best left to Deb at NGS in my opinion and then you can change your log according to her decision if you want as you have indicated. Deb has indicated in these forums before that she is very conservative about calling something Destroyed and leans toward Poor instead. Mloser has much more experience with reporting Destroyed than I do, however. <_<

By the way, the best view pictures (as opposed to the closeup shot) definitely should include the mark in the picture. So, for benchmark logs, it's always best to take a picture of the mark, not from the mark. ;) Maybe your 'south' picture had the mark in view, but I couldn't tell. Some of us edit the picture to put an arrow in if the location of the mark isn't completely obvious in the picture.

As for the condition of NH0400, I would say it was Good because:

1. It is in its proper position (I'm assuming it is in that cement and the bridge overpass hasn't been moved around by plows or car accidents)

2. Its Designation, B 102, is identifiable (it doesn't have to be perfectly readable and shiny, just identifiable)

3. The center point (the cross, in this case) of the disk is findable.

Poor would be one or more of the 3 things above being significantly bad, especially the position as in NH0399.

Describing the destroyed mark completely would serve mostly the same purpose as getting it marked destroyed--as long as a surveyor could tell the mark was heavily damaged they would stay away from it, so you didn't do wrong at all!

The other mark is fine. As long as the mark is in its original location, the stamping can be read enough to tell it is the correct mark, and the center mark can be found it is a usable mark and in good condition. If the mark is so scratched that the stamping cannot be read, or the monument is tilted but still solid, or even if the disk is totally gone, it is "POOR". The best thing to do in a case where you mark it poor is to describe why, so that a surveyor can make his own determination of whether to use that mark.

That one laying on it side is destroyed, no doubt about it.

Yep. NH0399 is no longer of any use. It was an elevation point (a real benchmark) and since it has tiped over, its elevation is now useless. Send a photo to Deb.

Good work by the way! That is an impressive find.

-Casey-

Edited by caseyb