Washington DC

ranger216

How many caches are there in the greater Washington Dc area?

I am working in a project and am curious..

I see the number as at least 250

am I close?

in the zip codes that make up washington dc... how many

I think eaglespirit0 gave you a relevant answer

If you want the EXACT number,

I'll tell you but it gonna cost you a dollar for each one.

The website has lots of tools to help YOU get the information that YOU want.

Edited by CraigInCT
in the zip codes that make up washington dc... how many

You can break it down yourself using the tools at http://www.geocaching.com/pocket It will tell you how many with a quick fill out of the form (and previewing the results). If you have it send you a file, you can do some more advanced sorting using various software tools available such as GSAK (there are forums on the GSAK site that can teach you more than you ever wanted to know)

Good luck, and have fun!

<_<

As I said, within the confines of the District there are only 75 caches, most of them being Virtuals. There are MANY more in the surrounding area, including Bethesda, Rockville, Reston/Arlington, Fairfax, etc. If you want that number, you can do your own research. :P I don't have the time.

I am going down there next Weds for a visit. Looks like mostly all virtuals in the downtown area and a few micros. Just outside of the downtown area there seem to be a lot of traditionals.

Jayman11

Yeah ... unfortunately, the largest (and one of the more beautiful) parks in Washington DC is Rock Creek Park. Rock Creek Park is also a national park, so that means no caches in it.

If I could recommend something ... don't geocache the Mall. Sure, you'll pick up about a good 20 caches, but it's just not fun. And if you're going to do it, do it at night. I'd suggest hitting Old Downtown and getting the caches there ... a much more enjoyable afternoon experience. Or you can go to Burke Lake Park in Fairfax, Virginia ... there's a nice set of caches there.

- JD

Yeah ... unfortunately, the largest (and one of the more beautiful) parks in Washington DC is Rock Creek Park. Rock Creek Park is also a national park, so that means no caches in it.

If I could recommend something ... don't geocache the Mall. Sure, you'll pick up about a good 20 caches, but it's just not fun. And if you're going to do it, do it at night. I'd suggest hitting Old Downtown and getting the caches there ... a much more enjoyable afternoon experience. Or you can go to Burke Lake Park in Fairfax, Virginia ... there's a nice set of caches there.

- JD

I will keep that in mind myself this week. Gonna be in DC weds and then head down to Williamsburg for the day so gonna try and get a few states worth of cacheing in! LOL...wife is gonna kill me. :D

Jayman11