DNF and then finding it

The reason I ask is because I pulled a report in "Quick View (of my logs)". Then I went to "Geocaches" then filtered by DNF. It pulled caches that I have found AND dnf. I guess I was looking for a report that just had ones that I have NEVER found so I can remember which ones to re-do.

TeamTettamanti

I always log every visit as a separate event - DNF, Find, Note if I visit for any reason other than taking my daughter to one I have already found - then she can log the event. I use GSAK and can write a filter that will show only DNF's that have not been found. Well worth the $'s as the searches are more customizable.

The reason I ask is because I pulled a report in "Quick View (of my logs)". Then I went to "Geocaches" then filtered by DNF. It pulled caches that I have found AND dnf. I guess I was looking for a report that just had ones that I have NEVER found so I can remember which ones to re-do.

TeamTettamanti

I have a Bookmark List called "Still Haven't Found Yet . . ." for the DNF's that I plan on going back to. Works for me so far!

I've done both.... 1. edit the DNF log into a find but leave the DNF data as part of the final log, or 2. make a totally new entry leaving the original one intact. If I feel the DNF was a genuine attempt to find the cache and helps to show the difficulty of the cache in an accurate way I leave it as a separate entry. If I made a quick pass at dusk or was in some way forced to suspend the hunt before finding it I might not leave the log as it could give a false impression of difficulty. But in the end it is really your call....

I think its best to log separately for each visit. If you delete or alter a DNF you are tampering with the history of the cache. It may make it look easier than it is. If I look at a cache page and see nothing but found it logs, I'll assume the cache is an easy find. If it takes more than a few minutes I'll figure its missing and give up. If I see DNFs sprinkled among the logs, I'll know its not a slam dunk find and put in the extra effort to find it.

Also, if you change your DNF log to a Found It, the owner will not receive a notification of the find.

You can run a PQ and only request caches you haven't found. Also, if you have GSAK, you can filter out caches where you logged a DNF and a Found It. GSAK is a pretty nifty application.