Rocky Mountain Mega Event

BadAndy

We're in the first stages of planning a Mega event in the heart of the Rockies, a stones throw from Yellowstone Natl park.

Before we commit our own money and begin fundraising efforts for this project, we'd like to gauge the actual interest in this event.

We envision a Rendevous style gathering with chuckwagon and dutch oven meals and a tent city. Tents and other needed gear will be made available for attendees, as well as RV hookups and local hotels. A guided day trip to Yellowstone is also on the agenda.

Timeframe is Aug 3-5 2007

Is this something you'd attend?

We're in the first stages of planning a Mega event in the heart of the Rockies, a stones throw from Yellowstone Natl park.

Before we commit our own money and begin fundraising efforts for this project, we'd like to gauge the actual interest in this event.

We envision a Rendevous style gathering with chuckwagon and dutch oven meals and a tent city. Tents and other needed gear will be made available for attendees, as well as RV hookups and local hotels. A guided day trip to Yellowstone is also on the agenda.

Timeframe is Aug 3-5 2007

Is this something you'd attend?

I'm interested - no promises but interested

I'm only going if Trackinthebox is going.

<_< LMAO! Anyways... I would be interested 2. But of course the main question for me is $$$. How much do you anticipate charging for tents, do you charge for admission, etc...???? I have never been to a mega event so more details would be appreciated! ;)

It's a good idea, and you should do it.

I won't be able to attend because I teach and that is the week we go back to school. Even though it's not on actual school days, there is just no way I can leave town the first couple of weeks of school without regretting it for months afterward.

For most families and college students, that would make a great last trip of the summer before school starts. If you are interested in attracting the younger crowd.

"Regular" event caches should be discussed in the applicable regional or national forum. Events that cross regional or national boundaries can find a home in the Organized Geocaching Forum. That is where GeoWoodstock threads have thrived for several years.

I'm moving this thread to Organized Geocaching, because I'm an optimist and I think the event will draw from at least three different regions. I would be happy to move it again to a regional forum upon request from the OP.

We thoroughly enjoyed our one and only trip to Yellowstone and have always wanted to go back. Combining this with a fun geocaching Event is something we would really be iinterested in. Like others, we can't commit at this moment, but we would sure like make the trip if everything worked out! :laughing:

To answer a few questions..

The fairgrounds is booked solid until Aug which is when they basically close down in preperations for the fair over Labor day. Since geocachers are so likable, they have allowed us use of the grounds for our event on the first weekend of aug.

Some of the ideas being passed around....

Tents and camping gear...

For those driving to the event by all means byo camping gear or camper or RV.

For those flying in or who don't already own a tent and gear, we'll put together an inexpensive (around $100.00) set of equipment including tent, sleeping bags and other camping essentials. After the event we'll provide a box to pack it into and ship it back home as well as dropoff service to the post office. This would be an excellant way to get started camping.

Meal service would be chuckwagon style for friday dinner, breakfast and dinner on sat and sun breakfast.

There would be a registration package with swag (coin tshirt etc) and a meal pass on a per person basis. Cost should be minimal (under $25.00).

A chartered bus (or 2 depending on registrations) would depart early sunday morning for a guided tour of Yellowstones most popular venues (and virtuals), returning sunday afternoon. This charter is an additional fee, as yet unknown.

Meet and greet (and caching) on friday... exhibits and seminars (and caching) on sat and goodbyes/yellowstone trip on sunday (with some caching thrown in).

Please remember that much of this is still pretty fluid and other than the date and location, little is set in stone.

*edited to add*

There are flush toilets and showers onsite.

Edited by BadAndy

We are interested, but won't know if we can get vacation until later. Sounds like fun.

Could we ship our own camping gear somewhere and then we could handle shipping it back? Just seems silly to buy more when we have a used once tent.

You're free to ship your own gear. Making a kit available is mainly for those that don't want to hassle with it, or for those that don't already won the basics.

Sounds like an excelent event as I have enjoyed mountainman style rendezvous in the

past from the Idaho panhandle and one in Jackson hole (back about '93) but it's been

awhile. need to rummage up my possables. and I'm also hopelessly addicted to geo-

caching(need to look into those cachaholic meetings). but that's a stretch from the panhandle

to the poky area. cannot commit to showing up but can dream and offer any assistance

that might help from here.

Sounds like an excelent event as I have enjoyed mountainman style rendezvous in the

past from the Idaho panhandle and one in Jackson hole (back about '93) but it's been

awhile. need to rummage up my possables. and I'm also hopelessly addicted to geo-

caching(need to look into those cachaholic meetings). but that's a stretch from the panhandle

to the poky area. cannot commit to showing up but can dream and offer any assistance

that might help from here.

Count me in! My boss raised an eyebrow when I scheduled sick days prior to being sick!! :D