Recent issues with GPS accuracy

Recently, myself and one other cacher has had issues with GPS accuracy.

We are in the habit of approaching a cache to within 75 feet or so and then s-l-o-w-l-y approaching to zero in on the cache position.

This last weekend we both ended up 30 feet apart and then the GPS wandered us around from 2 feet from the cache to 50 feet.

During this time we were seeing mostly 6 or so overhead satellites and only 1 or 2 horizon sattellites.

Sunspots? Sasquatch? Alien/Government conspiracy?

Thanks,

-The Maddogs-

We are in the habit of approaching a cache to within 75 feet or so and then s-l-o-w-l-y approaching to zero in on the cache position.

This last weekend we both ended up 30 feet apart and then the GPS wandered us around from 2 feet from the cache to 50 feet.

During this time we were seeing mostly 6 or so overhead satellites and only 1 or 2 horizon sattellites.

Thanks,

-The Maddogs-

I was in Cheyenne last weekend as well and the GPS seemed to be working fine.

What you describe sounds like normal life when 2 or more receivers are involved. Each unit has a slightly different way of "correcting" and accounting for errors.

Thanks,

-The Maddogs-

8 sats, not good:

. .. . . .

. .

8 sats, good:

they . need .

. to .

be well .

. spread . ..

out .

Edited by EraSeek

Normal accuracy ratings are +-45 feet in just about all GPSr's I have looked at. This would be WITH WAAS enabled.

It amazes me how many in the Geocaching community seem to think that somehow the published rating does not apply to their particular unit. I guess it's kind of like how your son is the best in the school play, after all, he only forgot HALF his lines. :P

Yes, you will often get better than spec results, but the nature of specs is that they indicate the typical reading accuracy. What the specs are saying is: "If you get within (45 feet or whatever your unit's spec says) your unit is operating properly and you got what you paid for so don't complain if you didn't find the cache there".

I would cache with rldill. He had a Venture, I had a Legend. We entered the woods, our paths would diverge until we got near the hide, then we would merge again.

Somehow, he was always on the left of me but we ended up at the same spot . . . weird.

Now, I have a 60CS and my path still pulls to the right . . . he has the x-series and goes in a straight line directly to the hide (gotta get one of those things!), no matter how bad the cover.

All I am saying is . . . it depends on the unit used, satellite selection & number, the tree cover, the original coords' accuracy and some strange mysteries that all add fun & flavor to the hunt!

Thanks for all of your input.

I guess I was perplexed because I usually am pretty darn close in accuracy. Luck, I guess.

We were checking out our own cache and I was off by almost 20ft. Lots of drift....

I think the sats were too close together in the sky. Thx EraSeek...

Thanks again!

MDC

Edited by MadDog Cachers