GPSr compass

canuman

I always carry a hand compass with me when I caching to use in the event I lose satellite reception. Even though my GPSr and hand compass are both set to magnetic north, and the GPSr's compass has been calibrated, the reading are way off (more than 20 degrees!). This isn't a major problem because I just take a sighting with the GPSr and sight on the same point with my hand compass and go to that point regardless of the actual reading. But, it seems to me that the reading should be much closer. Any ideas or similar experiences. I have a Garmin eTrex Vista and a good quality compass. Thanx. Canuman (Ron)

I always carry a hand compass with me when I caching to use in the event I lose satellite reception. Even though my GPSr and hand compass are both set to magnetic north, and the GPSr's compass has been calibrated, the reading are way off (more than 20 degrees!). This isn't a major problem because I just take a sighting with the GPSr and sight on the same point with my hand compass and go to that point regardless of the actual reading. But, it seems to me that the reading should be much closer. Any ideas or similar experiences. I have a Garmin eTrex Vista and a good quality compass. Thanx. Canuman (Ron)

Just curious - How do you "set" a hand compass to anything other than magnetic north??

Just curious - How do you "set" a hand compass to anything other than magnetic north??

I use the little screwdriver that comes with the compass, offset with the current declination and now it reads True North. But the lil needle still points to the lodestone in Canada. Just the compass is off 10°.

Ok - thats what I thought - just wondered if their was some new fangled compass I wasn't aware of that could actual point the needle to True North

I'm confused. Why do you need the hand compass to go "to the point" rather than using the Vista? The Vista's compass is magnetic. It does not need satellites. The compass rose continues to display even when the satellite signals are lost, just like your hand held. The bearing arrow disappears only but you still can see the direction you are moving. Only cachers who navigate with non-magnetic compass GPS's require a separate hand held when the sats are lost.. (Of course it's a good idea to carry a hand held as a backup to the Vista).

Also, which unit is giving you the wrong info? The Vista or the hand held? Do you know which is magnetic north or have another compass you can compare the two too. It would be nice to know which is wrong so you know which one to fix.

Edited by Alan2

Many quality hand compasses have the capability of being adjusted for declination differences (the difference between True North to Magnetic north). For instance, check out The Silva Ranger Compass Models 515 and 530.

I use the little screwdriver that comes with the compass, offset with the current declination and now it reads True North. But the lil needle still points to the lodestone in Canada. Just the compass is off 10°.

Ok - thats what I thought - just wondered if their was some new fangled compass I wasn't aware of that could actual point the needle to True North

Sorry I asked. I know the needle always points to magnetic north. The adjustment, as I'm sure you already know, allows for your bearing to a given point to be based on True rather than Magnetic north.

At the risk of not knowing, does the vista have a 3 axis compass? I probably am not getting the nomenclature right, but as I recall among electronic compasses there are the cheap type which have to be perfectly level to read accurately and there are the better type which read accurately when not perfectly level.

I have a wrist watch that is only accurate to maybe 20 degrees and that assumes I calibrate it frequently and it is perfectly level and I am not in a car and... basically it is nearly worthless.

I thought that the vista was using the older technology, but am not sure. I am thinking the 60 series uses the better technology, but again, not sure.