GeoHypocrisy

Tomorrow morning BRIGHT and early.

Thanks for the inspiration Mopar........and Keystone

Them: Hello, how can I help you?

Me: Hi, I just wanted to bring to your attention to a group of people that THINK they have a right to conduct a public sport on your property without your knowledge. They mess around your light poles which is kind of dangerous as might get someone injured by an electrical shock. I'm just looking out for you and wouldn't want to see you sued by these people if they get hurt on your land.

Them: Thank you for bringing this to our attention, etc, etc, etc...................

Next........EVERY cemetery in the yellow pages...............

Have fun :P

OH NO! Now I'll have nightmares all night long! The HORROR!!!

Good luck with your crusade, I'm sure they'll enjoy hearing from you as much as we have. :)

Me: Hi, I just wanted to bring to your attention to a group of people that THINK they have a right to conduct a public sport on your property without your knowledge. They mess around your light poles which is kind of dangerous as might get someone injured by an electrical shock. I'm just looking out for you and wouldn't want to see you sued by these people if they get hurt on your land.

Them: Thank you for bringing this to our attention, etc, etc, etc...................

Guys, come on! Back off! I don't think he's kidding! CARP, he's gonna ruin it for all of us. We're sorry! We're sorry! DON'T CALL "THEM"!!!

There is no "path which runs parallel to it" (the asphalt driveway), it is on the opposite side of the field. (But once AGAIN, if you lived here, you would know this to be the case)

And BTW.......the tree in question (where the cache WAS) is DEAD!

From the Grey Towers website:

Tree Trail - You can wander, walk, saunter, run, skip or hop through the field along the estate driveway and learn about some of the trees of Grey Towers. Tree ID signs reveal the names and most popular uses of these trees.

"Look, Daddy! It's a rare specimen of Canisterus Kodakus! It is popular for people to use these trees when they've lost their marbles!"

Well technically, it's Canisterus kodakus. See the specific ephithat is not capitalized! :P Either way, an exotic species in my book.

Thanks for the inspiration Mopar........

Them: Thank you for bring this to our attention, etc, etc, etc...................

and this proves...

In the end you purify the sport which I thank you for... it doesn't get you any closer to having your caches approved?

Great things have been accomplished by the sacrifice of others.

Edited by D@nim@l

it doesn't get you any closer to having your caches approved?

If I really cared I wouldn't have been so quick to archive my caches would I?

YOU people may reign in your little silicon castle here, now we'll have to see what private property managers have to say in the REAL world.

Then why bring all this up to begin with?

Honestly, would anyone be opposed if there were fewer Walmart Lamp Skirt hides? I really want to know.

Yes, I would. I like ending a long day of caching at a parking lot micro. Then I can go in and buy some beer and it's that much closer to a good ending to a great day.

I don't think they will ever make my best cache list, but I've found a good place for them.

Edited by Renegade Knight

YOU people may reign in your little silicon castle here, now we'll have to see what private property managers have to say in the REAL world.

i live in a castle????

whoa! where's my moat? i don't have a drawbridge either. :P

someone's gonna get a nasty call from me in the morning. :)

Notice he keeps ignoring the fact that this is a privately owned website that has the RIGHT to ask him for permission if they want to? Cause if he acknowledges that, all 3 of his ranting threads are moot.

Why then is it ok to ignore that WalMart is privately owned property and that they may want to exercise the right to give permission to have something placed there?

You keep bringing this up, though Wal-Mart's architecture and parking lot are about as far removed from Grey Towers as any two examples could ever be.

I think it's time to break out the "permission post." Originally written in response to a question from someone who's been active in this thread, the "permission post" is now part of the reviewer's reference guide. Here it is:

We start with the proposition that the hider of the cache is responsible for obtaining "adequate permission." Note that it says "adequate permission" in the guidelines -- NOT just "permission." We rely upon cache owners to think about this issue and make a determination about what permission is necessary. In submitting a cache report, the geocacher assures the listing service that adequate permission has been obtained, and the listing service assumes that this is the case. Geocaching.com is a listing service, not a guarantor of the proposition that every cache is placed with permission. But sometimes there are reasons why this assumption ought to be questioned. Here are some of them:

1. When a landowner / land manager such as a park system or a private land conservancy trust has a published geocaching policy that Groundspeak is aware of, then the volunteer cache reviewer will ask the cache owner about compliance with that policy. Knowing of the policy's existence, it is not appropriate to blindly assume compliance with the policy if no mention is made of this on the cache page. So we will ask whether a required permit has been obtained. We will point out that XYZ park system has banned geocaches, and ask whether the hider obtained permission despite that policy. Sometimes they do.

2. When a cache is hidden on land that is obviously private, like someone's back yard, it is unwise to blindly assume permission. Usually permission is stated or implied on the cache page ("this cache is hidden in our front yard -- please, no night caching"). If it isn't, the reviewer may ask about it. The guidelines require permission for caches hidden on private property. There's even a specific sentence about never ignoring a "no trespassing" sign.

3. Some locations are so sensitive in nature that it is unwise to assume that permission has been obtained, so specific listing guidelines have been adopted to guard against placements in those areas. Examples include airports, government buildings, school yards, dams and highway bridges. If the reviewer sees a cache in one of these locations, they will challenge the assumption of adequate permission by reference to these specific guidelines.

In most other cases -- ranging from suburban parks to shopping centers -- it is up to the cache owner to determine what constitutes "adequate permission." One cache owner might conclude that no formal permission at all is needed for a particular spot, while another will obtain written or oral permission for a different cache location because their instinct tells them that permission is a good idea. If the cache owner arrives at an unwarranted conclusion, the listing service will react to questions about permission. First, if a land owner / land manager requests removal of a cache placed without permission, Groundspeak's policy is to archive the cache unless and until the hider is able to straighten things out and provide an explanation of clear permission. Second, if another geocacher sees a cache location which causes them to have doubts about permission, they are welcome to raise their concern with the cache owner. If that is not productive, the geocacher may contact the website, contact a volunteer reviewer, or place a "needs archived" log on the cache page. The system is thus largely self-policing in this majority of circumstances.

Your reference guide is nice, but I think we need the opinion of a Wal-Mart corporate lawyer. That way it might be a little bit more clear.

i live in a castle????

Call El Diablo, I saw his number somewhere...

Well, first there is the issue of quasi public land, and areas of public accommodation. For example, the police can still write you a traffic ticket in a Walmart parking lot.

Then there is the issue that in many cases Walmart doesn't own the land they are on, they lease it from someone else.

Finally, do you really think Walmart is gonna say "Gee, there is this game that is bringing thousands of people a day to our stores, and we don't even have to pay for it. This is bad."

Nope. I know for a fact that all the Cracker Barrel caches have permission from corporate headquarters. I'm pretty sure that was initiated by someone trying to get them banned and it backfired. There is no electrical connections under a lamppost skirt, so there is no danger or liability. Just free advertising. Why would they deny that?

I say go for it....you will most likely be responsible for getting blanket permission for all walmart micros.

Edited by Mopar

i live in a castle????

Call El Diablo, I saw his number somewhere...

yo ED! ya got a moat you can give me?

So I guess this means we'll be switching to Target then?

:P

I'll call the main offices of EVERY chain, grocery and every other store in the country if you like..........

we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York … And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan. And then we're going to Pennsylvania to take back my geocache! Byaaah!!!"

I'll call the main offices of EVERY chain, grocery and every other store in the country if you like..........

Just how is this less time consuming than getting permission to place the cache? Oh well... have fun! Looks like you've got a "new" hobby to take the place of gecaching. :)

we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York … And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan. And then we're going to Pennsylvania to take back my geocache! Byaaah!!!"

To quote a comdeian- "That's funny I don't care who ya are!"

Well, first there is the issue of quasi public land, and areas of public accommodation. For example, the police can still write you a traffic ticket in a Walmart parking lot.

Then there is the issue that in many cases Walmart doesn't own the land they are on, they lease it from someone else.

Finally, do you really think Walmart is gonna say "Gee, there is this game that is bringing thousands of people a day to our stores, and we don't even have to pay for it. This is bad."

Nope. I know for a fact that all the Cracker Barrel caches have permission from corporate headquarters. I'm pretty sure that was initiated by someone trying to get them banned and it backfired. There is no electrical connections under a lamppost skirt, so there is no danger or liability. Just free advertising. Why would they deny that?

I say go for it....you will most likely be responsible for getting blanket permission for all walmart micros.

Cracker Barrel didn't care for this one.

Edited by D@nim@l

We'll just have to see now won't we.

I guess you like rolling the dice, so roll them we will.........

On a side note, an email I received a short time ago........

"Hey Track...

What happened that you had to shut down Quarryland? I was hoping to find the

time to get to that one soon.

Did it have something to do with the reviewers' policies that you had mentioned

before?

I hope you're still going to be placing other caches in our area..."

Cracker Barrel did care for this one.

The local manager did. I think that actually might be the cache that got Crackerbarrel coporate to issue the blanket permission. Good job!

Just thought I'd help you out and save you some time:

1. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2368

355 Lincoln Ave

East Stroudsburg, PA 18301

(570) 424-8415

2. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2365

500 Route 940

Mount Pocono, PA 18344

(570) 895-4700

3. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2252

3722 Easton-Nazareth Road

Easton, PA 18045

(610) 250-8603

4. Wal-Mart Store #3563

3926 Linden Street

Bethlehem, PA 18020

(610) 867-1300

5. Wal-Mart Store #2497

1236 Route 22

Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(908) 454-3622

6. Wal-Mart Store #2503

1885 Route 57 - Suite 100

Hackettstown, NJ 07840

(908) 979-9342

7. Wal-Mart Store #2145

2601 Macarthur Road

Whitehall, PA 18052

(610) 266-9645

8. Wal-Mart Store #2169

1204 Blakeslee Drive East

Lehighton, PA 18235

(570) 386-3356

9. Wal-Mart Store #2604

26 Hampton House Rd/Route 206

Newton, NJ 07860

(973) 300-1859

10. Wal-Mart Store #2582

Route 513 And I-78

Clinton, NJ 08809

(908) 730-8665

11. Wal-Mart Store #3291

40 International Drive South

Flanders, NJ 07836

(973) 347-7400

12. Wal-Mart Store #2569

461 Rt 10 Ledgewood Mall #29

Ledgewood, NJ 07852

(973) 252-7666

13. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2641

1091 Millcreek Road

Allentown, PA 18106

(610) 530-1400

14. Wal-Mart Store #2543

1201 Oak Street

Pittston, PA 18640

(570) 883-9400

15. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #1623

2150 Wilkes Barre Twnsp Mktpl

Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702

(570) 821-6180

16. Wal-Mart Store #2446

195 N.W. End Blvd.

Quakertown, PA 18951

(215) 529-7689

17. Wal-Mart Store #5069

3576 Route 22 West

Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889

(908) 534-7377

18. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #1884

900 Commerce Blvd

Dickson City, PA 18519

(570) 383-2354

19. Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2480

777 Old Willow Ave

Honesdale, PA 18431

(570) 251-9543

20. Wal-Mart Store #3810

620 Gravel Pike

East Greenville, PA 18041

(215) 679-2782

Cracker Barrel did care for this one.

The local manager did. I think that actually might be the cache that got Crackerbarrel coporate to issue the blanket permission. Good job!

Not my handiwork.

"Hey Track...

before?

That's a shame. Really. If only there was some way for another cacher to ever hide a cache at N 41° 19.177 W 074° 48.232 or N 41° 24.880 W 074° 50.343, but I suppose that would be impossible, for you'd have to be someone who makes 70+/hour or have major connections to walmart supervisors to be able to do something like that.

Yeah, that's right, you're not important, and neither were your caches. I suppose you'll find out tomorrow if/when you actually start calling people. Again, I would love to hear about your conversations. I expect hourly reports! There comes a time in every young man's life when they find out the aren't the be-all, end-all that they think they are. For me, it was when I was 4.

Edited by ThePropers

"Hey Track...

before?

You've been here 2 weeks.

I've been here 5 yrs.

Your threats/promises/attitudes aren't new, or novel. Geocaching attracts all types, even losers like you. I've heard your "promises" 50 times before you ever heard of caching. The calls you claim your going to make (after you buy more minute for your phone) have already been made. A dozen times. I've seen the results of those calls. You have too, you just don't know it. Call away, we'll be waiting.

"Hey Track...

before?

That's a shame. Really. If only there was some way for another cacher to ever hide a cache at N 41° 19.177 W 074° 48.232 or N 41° 24.880 W 074° 50.343, but I suppose that would be impossible, for you'd have to be someone who makes 70+/hour or have major connections to walmart supervisors to be able to do something like that.

Yeah, that's right, you're not important, and neither were your caches. I suppose you'll find out tomorrow if/when you actually start calling people. Again, I would love to hear about your conversations. I expect hourly reports! There comes a time in every young man's life when they find out the aren't the be-all, end-all that they think they are. For me, it was when I was 4.

Who was it that said: "If you want to see how important you really are, try ordering around another mans dog" or words to that effect.

Projected impact TITB will have on Geocaching, to small to measure.

He's lost, he just won't admit it yet.

Here's a short list of calls for Lubbock. Have fun!

Albertsons-Sav.-On

6524 Slide Rd

Lubbock, TX 79424

(806) 794-4674

Drg Pantry Food Store

505 8th St

Lubbock, TX 79401

(806) 285-3300

E-Z Mart Stores

7402 Quaker Ave

Lubbock, TX 79424

(806) 792-1929

Furr's Inc.

1212 Av J

Lubbock, TX 79401

(806) 766-8202

Gandhi Imports

2431 34th St

Lubbock, TX 79411

(806) 799-9701

Kwik-O-Foods

1528 E Broadway St

Lubbock, TX 79403

(806) 765-6507

Lakeside Grocery

6508 F M 835-C R 3000

Lubbock, TX 79401

(806) 749-0660

Lowe's Marketplace

5201 82nd St

Lubbock, TX 79424

(806) 794-9728

MRS Bairds Thrift Store

3422 34th St

Lubbock, TX 79410

(806) 792-1680

Oriental Mkt.

4220 50th St

Lubbock, TX 79413

(806) 788-0688

Pantry Food Store

6901 Slide Rd

Lubbock, TX 79424

(806) 794-2569

Reddi -Mart Foods

1601 66th St

Lubbock, TX 79412

(806) 745-6217

S & H Foods

1818 M L K Blvd

Lubbock, TX 79403

(806) 771-3598

As far as the parking lot micros at Walmart.... I doubt that they are going to worry much about those micros when they allow RV'ers to park overnight in their parking lots. That is a general permission, and it seems that those RV'ers could be in more danger than the geocachers would be! Or... is it the worry that geocachers might inadvertently damage property? The semi's that roll in night after night do more damage to the parking lots than a few geocachers could.

I used to work at walmart... at one micro, at a store in our district, the store manager signed it! He always got a kick out of watching the geocachers hunt for it.

Have fun making all those calls.... at a lot of the stores, Walmart leases the property.. they don't own it.

TITB to do list for thursday:

call osama bin laden. arrange next target

call the queen. have her abdicate.

call bill gates. tell him kiss off.

call sadam. ask him, "how's it goin'.

call wal-mart. get lame micros banned.

You left off "call attorneys, force those big meanies at Groundspeak to list my lame dead tree marble micro. Yes that will shut them up. That will shut them all up. muhahahahaha"

Guys, come on! Back off! I don't think he's kidding! CARP, he's gonna ruin it for all of us. We're sorry! We're sorry! DON'T CALL "THEM"!!!

:)

My Walmart is 24 hours - I'm sure you could call now!

(540) 667-9111

TITB to do list for thursday:

call osama bin laden. arrange next target

call the queen. have her abdicate.

call bill gates. tell him kiss off.

call sadam. ask him, "how's it goin'.

call wal-mart. get lame micros banned.

Now THAT's funny! :P

No, THAT is LIBEL.

Insinuating someone is connected to such organizations in this day and age is UNFORGIVABLE.

Add, sue geocaching.com for allowing such comments to the list now buddy.