How long did your GPS last?

wifiabc

It mostly depends on how well you take care of it!

Just like a vehicle; you see folks driving cars from the 60's and 70's; others go through a car every five years or so.

Get a neoprene cover to prolong life. I have an Etrex Vista I got for Xmas in 2002, but I don't use it much anymore cause I got a 60cs about 18 months ago.

I think I read someone still using an eMap! That's, like, still driving a Beetle!

My first GPS was a SporTrak Pro. Many users had problems with cracking around the screws, but mine never did. I upgraded to a Garmin 60CS and sold the SporTrak Pro to another user who is using it still. After two years my 60CS has issues because I left it on the dash of a vehicle in hot weather. I will be sending it in for repairs soon. I just bought a 60CX and will give my 60CS to my wife when it gets back from being repaired.

I suspect that most GPS's get replace because something new comes on the market rather then because the older unit no longer functions properly.

It mostly depends on how well you take care of it!

I have a MeriCol and have abused it something horrid.

I have left it in the sun in 47 (approx 116 F) degrees C, dropped it on numerous occasions. THe roads where we live are some of the worst I have ever been on, as in there are only 2 that are tarred the rest are 'dirt' the MeriCol bounces around the dashboard of the car even when it is in the windscreen mount. Yet it still works great.

Next to the car it is probably the toughest thing I own.

I had a basic eTrex Yellow and it lasted from January '04 through August '06 (about 2 1/2 years). I went to change the batteries on my 800th cache and when I pulled them out, the clips came with them and flew into the weeds. It probably could have been repaired, but I wanted to upgrade anyways (so now I have a 60CSx)

They're like anything else, where useful life depends on too many factors. You could drop it and have it break on a rock, or maybe it'll last you 15 years. I would think if you take decent care of it though, they'll last quite awhile.

I bought an eMap when they first came out and it's still working fine almost 7 years later. There's a crack near the edge of the screen, none of the buttons have any visible lettering anymore, the little rubber feet disappeared a long time ago, and there's a plastic piece glued to the back replacing the original slots that hold on the PC cable connector. But AFAICT, the basic electronics still function as well as they ever did.

My basic yellow etrex is about four and a half years old, with heavy use doing benchmarks and a few caches, plus miscellaneous hiking and driving. I've just retired it in favor of a newer model, but other than some light surface scuffing and a rubber band that has lost its adhesive but still stays in place, it works like a charm.

Wish I could say the same about the cable. I got a non-Garmin Y-cable from an ebay seller. The data serial part still works fine, but the car lighter power adapter quit working a year ago. Don't know if the problem is the stepdown inside the lighter plug or a broken wire somewhere.

-ArtMan-

I too have an eMap that's 7+ old. It doesn't have the latest software version, doesn't pick up all the satellites, but except for heavy wet canopy, it puts me dead on the spot everytime. It's still in mint condition despite a few drops and bouncing around in the jeep.

The longevity of the eMap was one of the reasons I was able to justify the 60csx that's in route. The eMap is being handed down to my two teenage daughters. I'm hoping the quicker response of the 60csx will give me the advantageover them.

My first GPS was a SporTrak Pro. Many users had problems with cracking around the screws, but mine never did. I upgraded to a Garmin 60CS and sold the SporTrak Pro to another user who is using it still. After two years my 60CS has issues because I left it on the dash of a vehicle in hot weather. I will be sending it in for repairs soon. I just bought a 60CX and will give my 60CS to my wife when it gets back from being repaired.

I suspect that most GPS's get replace because something new comes on the market rather then because the older unit no longer functions properly.

N-S, I use my 60cs for navigation in the vehicle. In the summertime it gets really hot and the on/off button on the GPS stops working. I sent the unit for repairs and they replaced the unit, but sent me a semi-nasty letter stating their bench testing showed the unit was functioning properly. The new unit does the same thing. When hot the on/off button stops functioning. Once it cools down, it's OK. So, I don't have a problem living this this little "character flaw".

My first was a magellan 2000 purchased in the mid 90's i think...or before........still works like it was intended to work, although it only gets used now just for the fun of it...it's been replaced by a number of different ones...i have never had one fail other than the battery contacts on a meridian, and i repaired that in about 10 minutes.

Edited by GreatCanadian

My Garmin 60CS worked perfectly for two years until it suddenly stopped working after being crushed by a truck.

The replacement that Garmin sent me for free works just as good as the first one does.

I'm not sure I understood this right. Your Garmin was crushed by a truck - in which case, I would say it was your fault or, at least, no manufacturing defect, right? And, yet, Garmin sent you another unit FOR FREE?! What did you tell them?

Wanted to know just in case it happens to me too.

I bought a Lowrance Expedition C in march, it's still ok!

I bought another in Septemer, it lasted 35 days and suddenly, one morning, could not calculate a position. (All else worked, oddly enough!) I sent it in last friday....

My son's eTrex is 4 years old and working well.

My garmin 60cs is a tough workhorse. I tries hard to keep it in a good shape. Even still I once dropped it 50 feet onto a sidewalk when I was looking for a cache in a tree. The only thing it did was it turned itself off.

AND I would like to hear more about somebody's gps getting....run over from truck and still was able to get a new one....in that case, I will go outside I put it under my truck JUST so I can have some thing "new" Just kidding!

I had a Legend and the screen shattered and turned black, but then again, it was crushed by the leg of a chair with the screen up. The top half of the screen still worked so I gave it to a friend and a year later its still 'usable'! Now that is one tough unit! I've since replaced it with a 60CSx which is the best of the best and the strongest of the strongest :P

For me i still have my magellan 315 that i got in 2000 my brother in law got it in 1999. It still looks and works like new. With a very small scratch on the back. Used it for backpacking hiking and geocaching up untill 3 months ago when i got my 60cx. I like to take care of my things.

Alex

Been wondering what is the service life of a GPS unit. How long would it last

before you need to send it for repair. I suppose it could depend on the brand and model

as well.

I used my Garmin GPS V from 2002 until some freak stole it out of my car earlier this year. I think I'd still be using it today, but seriously it was getting long in the tooth. It flew off a bike once and fell quite a few times but really didn't get a scratch, even on the clear plastic front unlike my scratch prone 60CSX. After using City Navigator 8.0 I really think I would have had to replace the GPS V because it only had 19megs of memory.

I bought a Lowrance Expedition C in march, it's still ok!

I bought another in Septemer, it lasted 35 days and suddenly, one morning, could not calculate a position. (All else worked, oddly enough!) I sent it in last friday....

My son's eTrex is 4 years old and working well.

Like I said, sent it in on friday and yesterday (thursday - 6 days later) FedEx dropped of a brand-new unit!

[i bought my Magellan eXplorist 600 on 07/19/2006 (invoice date). On 10/20/2006 the map zoom in button quit working, and for a week or so before that, it had gotten more difficult to get it to work. A little over a month after I bought the Magellan, I ordered a Garmin GPSmap 60SCx, a little over a month after getting the Magellan because the Magellan was giving me major problems.

To be fair, I got the Magellan working well before the button failed. It required a full unit reset to get it working right but it did finally start working well. When I compare it next to the Garmin that are both usually within 0.001 or 0.002 minute of each other with an epe of around 10 feet each.

Had my yellow Etrex for 5 years... works perfectly.

Had my Etrex Legend for around 3 years..... display dims out sometimes and requires the "whack" to make it appear normal again. Rubber around the unit has gotten loose, fixed with superglue. Still works well otherwise and this unit has been through a lot, bike crashes, cross-country bike rides, rain, drops etc.

Had my Legend-C for about a 18 months... other then the rubber getting loose again and fixing it with super glue, the unit works fine.

I have a Lowrance GlobalNav12 I have had for eight years it still works but the rubber pad covering the buttons fell of this year and It got wet. it still turns on but was a little damaged. Lowrance told me they have not had replacement parts for that model for quite a while. So I upgrade to the Garmin 60CSx. I use my GPS all year long and in all conditions get a good case that you can keep it in while hiking etc...and it will last a long time

I too have an eMap that's 7+ old. It doesn't have the latest software version, doesn't pick up all the satellites, but except for heavy wet canopy, it puts me dead on the spot everytime. It's still in mint condition despite a few drops and bouncing around in the jeep.

I guess we eMap owners should start a club. I too have an eMap from the golden ages of non-routing GPSes. It has an occasional contact issue with the screen cable (that developed the 50th time it fell off a dashboard), and there is a streak on the screen where it got wet (it took a swim sometime down the road), but otherwise it still works just fine. I hardly ever use it myself, but I often loan it to friends and family, and they usually return it with a story about how it saved their behinds.

For the record, none of my (Nokia) cell phones have ever died on me either, and I usually end up replacing them after about 4 years because they turn obsolete. My brother goes through them on an annual cycle. So like others said, longevity depends on what you do with the unit as much as how well it is designed.

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum that I have been using almost every day now for the last 5 years. It is always in my car, and almost always on with Direct Route maps running for my area. I have used DR since it came out and have recently ordered v3. As far as the GPS goes, I have yet to have it fail on me (knock on wood) and as long as it keeps working, I do not need to upgrade it. It has quite a few miles on it, I can tell you. I also use it when biking as well, using the bike mount. I cant see replacing this unit any time soon, if ever. I just do not see where there is a need... :(

Sadly, my Magellan Explorist 400 was killed in action a few days back while hunting This Cache - There's a photo and such if anyone wants to see it...

I would say it lived about... 9 months...

I am waiting on a new Foretrex 201 to arrive, which I will use until I can save enough to afford an Explorist 600... or a Garmin 60csx, I havent decided yet...

My car system, a Nav-Cam 7000 is about a week old. I do not know if I will keep it though, the Nav-Cam's address routing is very inaccurate - I am actually surprised that they would sell a product like this...