Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon Coin - Pre Order

GA Cacher

Since I don't post much, you won't recognize my nick...

Anyways, I just sent an order for 5. One of my former bowling team members is the first man I knew that had breast cancer, so one is for him. Another is for the mother of someone I know who is a survivor, but recently was found with growths on her brain, one for the receptionist at my office, one to keep, and one to circulate. Actually, a couple of the "memorial ones" might go into circulation as well, depending on their feelings on the matter...

Thanks!

... but I am going to assume this coin is clearly not done with any permission of anyone at the foundation. That would make it a violation of their copyright.

:D:D

What copyright violations are you refering to?

B):D

1)The Komen Foundation logo isn't on the coin

2)Pink ribbons are NOT copyrighted (Even the ones sold on the www.komen.org website are not consistant)

3)There are no pink ribbon "coins" for sale on the www.komen.org website. (Therefore there is no product reproduction violations to constitue copyright violation)

4)Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation is typed in a generic Arial type font (Not even close to the one used in the Foundation's logo) with the coordinates directly under it. :D To me that is showing the location of the Foundation itself. (Google Map the coords & the Foundation's address :P ) Gee! Must be the geocacher in me to relate coordinates to a location!! :)

5)The only logo used on the coin is the Geocaching logo (And it's been approved)

That would also make a noble effort of bringing the awareness of something as tragic as breast cancer, into something very disgusting which would be taking it upon yourself to violate the very foundation you wish to honor.

"Very disgusting"... :laughing:HUH? :laughing:

How is producing a NON-PROFIT coin (to the makers) to bring awareness to an issue and raise a little bit of cash to donate "to the Foundation" violating the Foundation?

With my day job at the sign company I deal with Non-profit groups on a regular basis. I've yet to meet one that did not appreciate a single cent of financial support from anyone!

I seriously doubt the Foundation would turn down the donation from the people producing this coin, because they took it upon themselves to put in the time and effort need to produce the coin because they used a pink ribbon without seeking permission first. (Which they did not need to do)

As someone that has had first hand exposure to a dying family member due to the beast of cancer, I whole heartedly support this coin and the people that are producing it.

For you to even remotely "suggest" that they are doing something less than honorable, is an insult. :ph34r:

I can vividly remember a cool August morning about a year ago standing in the ER.

The doctor coming out to tell us that my mother-in-law had died.

My wife falling into my arms sobbing.

To only watch my normally manly Father-in-law drop into a nearby chair crying out loud.

This man that I looked up to, was sitting there sobbing like a child.

<Self editing, per mod request, to remove graphic description of her death>

Just the two of them at their home... alone... waiting neverending moments for the paramedics to arrive :P

He told me later that it was the longest 10 minutes of his life. :D

While her cancer was not Breast Cancer, it was still Cancer. :ph34r:

So anything I can do to support the efforts to rid the world of this beast in any form, I will do!

So if it's words your wanting, tell me yours as to why you are wanting to sabotage the sale of this coin, when it's intentions are only to help?

Your turn. :D

-Dwayne- aka D-man B)

Edited by gridlox

We almost all have sad stories, and I am sorry for yours. It is not just about this coin though, and the issue is a slippery slope, it's about a much bigger picture.

Yes, I'm aware of that bigger picture as well and will not discuss it because it does not pertain to this coin. (IMHO)

I personally encouraged GaCacher to ignore the "ney sayers" of this idea when it was originally presented and proceed, due to the fact that there was so much good that could come from it.

As stated above, I fully support the sale of this coin and the foundation it is to be supporting.

I just don't understand why someone that claims to be "very familiar with this organization and their works" would want to undermine the sale of it and the chance to support that Foundation themselves.

Not only does the coin offer the chance to support the Foundation with a financial donation, but by having the option of getting it personalized with a loved ones name, it offers a chance of some sort of personal healing by the buyer or one recieving the coin as a gift. :laughing:

D-man :laughing:

Yea once again it is easier to call me a neysayer than look at the facts and listen to what I am truly saying, or better yet asking. I support the foundation for my own personal reasons. I do not feel the need to drag my personal reasons out here on this boards for some sort of tactical drama so I won't.

Using the foundation's name without their permission is violating the foundation. You can not do that without their written consent. If you were doing a coin to raise money for GC they would not allow it without protecting their copyright, not matter your intentions. They have an obligation, and a right, to decide who is affiliated with their name. You do not have the right to decide what is good and bad or to make the call to create something using their name. It is more than just a google location and we both know it. You simplify it to this just to make it sound dumb, but we both know it is not. Ask yourself why we havn't heard from the creators of the coin on this issue? Maybe they know they haven't gotten permission and know it could be a legal no-no?

I was not trying to kill this coin. I would have bought some, for personal reasons again, had it respected the foundation enough to contact them and get their permission on it. As it is, they have taken it upon themselves to create something without so much as a "Can we use your name for a good cause". To me that is disgusting. Remember, I am entitled to my opinion. You don't have to agree to it, just allow me to have it.

There are rules in place for all these actions. What is so wrong of asking if the creators have followed the rules? You seriously have a problem with following the legal guidelines set forth? You truly feel the ends justifies the means?

I am not going to battle with you here over this, and I will not spill out my family and friends medical issues here for some uneeded drama. To me that is just sad to do. I will wait to hear from these creators on the rights to create this coin. I will also state once again, that if they have used it with permission, I would be happy to buy a couple. So let's hear it guys. Do you have permission?

I do not feel the need to drag my personal reasons out here on this boards for some sort of tactical drama so I won't.

Nor did I. I simply stated facts as they happened in my life to show why I was so adamant in my support of this coin. Nothing "tactically" dramatic in that intended.

To the best of my ability with typed words, I just wanted to let someone that may have not had to live through this tragedy know how it feels. Sometimes words are not enough, but other times they are just enough.

(I apologize to anyone that was offended or put off by my desciption of a tramatic event in our lives) :blink:

... had it respected the foundation enough to contact them and get their permission on it. As it is, they have taken it upon themselves to create something without so much as a "Can we use your name for a good cause".

And you know this as fact, because...??

Just because they do not feel the need to respond to a "possible" unfounded accusation, doesn't mean they are guilty of what they are being accused of. Remember, this is the USA... Innocent until "proven" guilty.

There is a LOT of "ASSUME"ing going on, on both sides of the issue here. So this will be my last post in this "conversation" as to the permission aspect of the coin.

You don't know - I don't know - Let's just agree to disagree and do the best we each can to support the charities that strive to rid the world of the beast of cancer! :(

Remember, I am entitled to my opinion. You don't have to agree to it, just allow me to have it.

Yes you do! :huh:

Praise the Lord that we live in a country that allows it!! :D

Many do not have that freedom. :huh:

I did not enter into this conversation with you over the permissions given to create an enemy.

I just simply didn't understand why you would poo-poo on it because the creators weren't jumping to justify your accusations, when you seemed to support the foundation in your own right.

My view on this coin, and in fact ANY charity, is this:

I personally am doing a good thing to support what I think is a good cause by purchasing said coin. And as with any charity, once the money leaves my hand (checking account, PP account) I can just hope that the money is going toward the intended purpose for which it was donated. Other than stopping future support of the organization collecting the money for the charity in the future when we find out that the money wasn't used properly, we really have no REAL control over what we have already donated.

In my conversation with GaCacher over concerns of whether the coin would actually sell due to a "small minority" of neysayers voicing their opinions when the idea was first presented, I have absolutely no reason to think that any profits from the sale of the coin would go anywhere else other than it's intended destination.

Geocachers in general are a group of people that have been blessed with liquid assets. Some have larger cups than others, but we all still have it to spend on non-essential "wants".

I choose to spend some of mine on this coin, with wishes that hopefully $1 or $2 dollars of the money that makes it to the foundation is the money used to buy that petri dish that grows the cure to kill the beast of cancer!! :(

To mimic a frequently used quote at this time of year in the US:

My name is Dwayne, and I support this coin! :D

Have a great day!! :(

D-man B)

You are right. I do not know for 100% this coin wasn't produced with permission. But that is not for at least trying to see if it was done correctly or not. I have asked several times here and have gotten silence each time.

GA Cacher....Did you get permission to use the Foundation's copyrighted name on the coin and in your promotions?

I will try again, but seriously doubt there will be an answer. Usually that would indicate a problem. If they had permission before they started this coin, why wouldn't they want to say so? Noone has the right to decide how to use their name, or any other groups name. They own it. They paid for it. Noone has the right to decide they wouldn't mind since they will be getting money from it. They have the right to decide whether they wish to partner with someone. Expressing that doesn't make me a ney sayer for this coin, but rather an advocate for the foundation. They are the ones who are losing. They are the ones who have had their name taken and used without their permission. They are being violated, and if you don't think so, imagine someone here minting a coin with your name on it without your permission. I am sure you wouldn't mind that at all would ya? While you personally know GA Cacher and trust him not to abuse this coin or to cheat the charity, why create a preceidence? If we don't reqquire each and everyone to get permission to use these copyrighted names, then we are going to have a problem. At some point someone will use a name without permission and then cheat the charity out of the money. Why open the door? get permission. It is the right thing to do and legal thing to do. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Well I feel it is time to answer the post from the 2 people who have attacked me on this coin.

I quote ” I will try again, but seriously doubt there will be an answer. Usually that would indicate a problem. If they had permission before they started this coin, why wouldn't they want to say so? No one has the right to decide how to use their name, or any other groups name. They own it. They paid for it. No one has the right to decide they wouldn't mind since they will be getting money from it. They have the right to decide whether they wish to partner with someone. Expressing that doesn't make me a ney sayer for this coin, but rather an advocate for the foundation. They are the ones who are losing. They are the ones who have had their name taken and used without their permission. They are being violated, and if you don't think so, imagine someone here minting a coin with your name on it without your permission. I am sure you wouldn't mind that at all would ya? While you personally know GA Cacher and trust him not to abuse this coin or to cheat the charity, why create a precedence? If we don't require each and everyone to get permission to use these copyrighted names, then we are going to have a problem. At some point someone will use a name without permission and then cheat the charity out of the money. Why open the door?”

And this personal attack “That would also make a noble effort of bringing the awareness of something as tragic as breast cancer, into something very disgusting which would be taking it upon yourself to violate the very foundation you wish to honor.”

Well since you have decided to be judge and jury on this matter and demean me and my efforts I will answer with this.

First you asked “What was the process of getting approval from the foundation to use their name on the coin? Did they require anything in particular so as not to violate anything that is registered or copyrighted?”

The Foundation requires a Letter of Agreement signed by the both parties. You need to include in your request: Contact Name

Business Name, if applicable ,Contact Address ,Contact Phone, e-mail ,Name of Event/Promotion ,Date of Event/Promotion or Length of Time for donation ,Location of Event/Promotion, if applicable, Event/Promotion details,% of proceeds donated .

Then you after review of the items above and the art of the coin and the website that was created, if all is favorable a letter will be issued. As it was issued to me.

This letter in part reads “Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. (“Komen”) is honored that Those Coin Guys has chosen Komen as the beneficiary of its “Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon Coin” to support the fight against breast cancer. We are pleased that you share our commitment to the advancement of breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment, and we are proud to have the opportunity to partner with you. “

I hope this will allay your fears of my not getting permission, absconding with the funds or what ever else you thought.

I wanted to state that with the only 2 people who chose to question this coin, one a coin producer himself, all other correspondence has been favorable.

If you wish to support the foundation here is a link to their donation page.

Komen Donation web site

Thank You GACacher for the reply. I don't see why you are so angry with the fact that some wanted to know if this was legit or not. It's a reasonable question. I'm very happy to hear that permission was asked and granted and I wish you a great deal of success with the coin and its sales.

For those who are thinking about doing something like this, maybe posting that approval was granted from the beginning would be a good idea and save yourself and the boards a lot of drama and grief.

Thank you GA, for the reply, for the cause, for the efforts. Cancer has touched many of us.

It's hard to get "tone of voice' in a the typed word. Sometimes we read things in a tone other than it was typed in. We have to take it all with a grain of salt.

Some people feel the need to question things. Whether it involves them or not. The best we can do is answer those questions, and remain level headed about it, since we can't hear the tone of voice, the inflections, tha facial expressions, etc... that you get with face to face conversations.

I hope everyone is now satisfied that this coin has been produced with permission, is certainly for a good cause, and we can get on with the coin sales.

Where else can you find a geocoin that you can personalize each and every one? I think that is one pretty cool option.

front4.jpg

Now that wasn't so hard was it. I am glad I could be of help in getting this coin approved since I am the one who asked about it. I have said all along this is a very worthy cause. Like yourself I didn't wish to see it tainted at all. Hopefully others will learn that getting approval before releasing a coin is probably the better way to go, but that's OK. All is well now that we are all on the same page. Maybe posting the link again would be helpful, or closing this thread and opening a new one would be better. I would like to get one myself, as I had always said. Thanks.

I am glad I could be of help in getting this coin approved since I am the one who asked about it. I have said all along this is a very worthy cause.

I hesitate to answer this but how were you involved in getting this coin approved? You have nothing to do with this coin, it's conception nor the minting or the approval from Kohem or Groundspeak.

YOu have nothing to do with this coin and for you to say that you do just shows your arrogance.

Yikes, I sent an email this am and got no email back...should I have? :huh:

Ga Cacher is attending the wake/viewing of a co-workers daughter who suddenly passed away at the tender age of 22. I am sure he will answer any and all questions when he gets home.

-TP

"Those Coin Guys"

Edited by Team PEZ
Yikes, I sent an email this am and got no email back...should I have? :laughing:

Ga Cacher is attending the wake/viewing of a co-workers daughter who suddenly passed away at the tender age of 22. I am sure he will answer any and all questions when he gets home.

-TP

"Those Coin Guys"

Caught up on e-mails today. Thanks TP.

Now that wasn't so hard was it. I am glad I could be of help in getting this coin approved since I am the one who asked about it.

??????????????????????????????

How? Approval was already in place. You just needed proof of it. And while this poor guy was at a funeral, you were insisting on seeing it. Sorry, but I don't see how that helped.