A cache that is not only a challenge to find...

That would be fun,

Some might be tempted to claim a find on just the external container. I'd suggest that there sould be some element contained in the hidden compartment that must be found in order to make the find. Maybe the coordinates to a final. Maybe you could have "decoys" in the other compartments.

Are you a woodworker or metal worker?? Construction should be strong enough to resist persistent finders :D

Here is the inspiration for that derivative cache - Monkey Puzzle - The Original

It is a highly inventive and devious cache that has stumped many a cacher.

phbtttttt - been there done that :D , well not that cache. I had a variation of the "original" that was stolen twice. I have thought about making a new one just for events - hence the name "Monkey Puzzle" watch them all jump around trying to open it.

The only concern I would have about a "fancy" cache is durability - will it hold up over the long run

Edited by bogleman

Here is the inspiration for that derivative cache - Monkey Puzzle - The Original

It is a highly inventive and devious cache that has stumped many a cacher.

Oh yeah, the infamous Monkey Puzzle- one of those evil, evil things has been making the rounds at events in Mississippi and Louisiana. It took me about 30 minutes to get it open after somebody showed me the trick, and it probably would have kept me busy for weeks if they hadn't...

Oh! I remember hearing about an ammo can with a false bottom. The inside of the can was painted and some flexible magnetic material was painted the same color. I can't remember if it was a decoy or what. I just remember the false bottom.

Did one like this and yes, it was tough to spot. The coordinates for the final were right there the whole time but nooooo, the cache owner had us running all over the place on decoy stages with the last taking us right back to the first. We then knew the answer was there but finding it was a whole nother thing! :D