Trusting GPS routing?

I hope I never have to trust a gps to route me somewhere I have never been before. Although I have only attempted a few routes by addresses I am dissapointed in cordinates given by my gpsmap76csx/navigator v8. When given routes I drive often the gps has me taking streets and exits that would be ridiculous to take. Yes I have tried the different options to no avail like quickest and shortest.

I hope I never have to trust a gps to route me somewhere I have never been before. Although I have only attempted a few routes by addresses I am dissapointed in cordinates given by my gpsmap76csx/navigator v8. When given routes I drive often the gps has me taking streets and exits that would be ridiculous to take. Yes I have tried the different options to no avail like quickest and shortest.

Well, there's no way a GPS receiver will ever be a substitute for the experience of driving in an area and learning it with a human brain! How can you expect a $190 piece of microchip to be smarter than you? The whole idea is to get from here to there when you have no idea where you even are now, or even where there is...

It might not be the way an experienced driver would choose, but it most likely will get the job done. Would you prefer going back to a paper road map?

Edited by Alphawolf

Yes, sometimes the autorouting can suggest taking a ridiculous route to your destination! But it will take you to the destination. If you know better, or perhaps there is some problem with the suggested route, you can re-route if necessary. Much better than circling the area in confusion!

That is true, I guess if you had no idea how to get to point A from point B it serves it's purpose so I shouldn't complain, hate to complain anyway..........Pretty new at all this still trying to figure all the bells and whistles..........

It's true that you might not get the route you selected especially if you're familiar w/where you are going. For example, I travel down the Maine coast to my son's house. There are three different routes to get there. The 60CX selects routes that are least favored by me however, I recently took a two day trip to the Cirque Soliel (sp) in Boston. I didn't know where I was going but trusted the GPSr and had no problems what so ever. Even impressed my wife and she's not into gadgets.

Using my 60CSx around home has taken me ways where I know there are quicker ways. The GPS isn't going to know that traffic is always much worse at this intersection, or tends to back up here during rush hour, or that this particular light is horrendously long.

However, it does get you to your destination, which is what I care about. Like I said, around my home where I know the roads like the back of my hand, I find it's route "questionable" but if I was somewhere new, I trust it to get me to my destination, even if it's not going to be the shortest/quickest route.

It sure beats printing off mapquest directions and then hoping there's not construction or you accidentally make a wrong turn or miss a turn. At least a GPS will get you there...

Edited by ThePropers