Oak Coins

kc8hnz

I'm thinking of going through Oak Coins to have my coins minted up. Anyone had experiance with this minter, Would you recomend them or not?

I have never made a coin with them but I do have several coins that were made by them and they do great work! I just got a set of coinfusion yesterday made by oak coins and they are very well made.

I am not sure how much research the other folks have done, but I have been researching quotes and it seems to be that Oak Coins are among the highest prices that one would have to pay for coins. There are other vendors out there, just do your homework and compare prices before you commit.

I am not sure how much research the other folks have done, but I have been researching quotes and it seems to be that Oak Coins are among the highest prices that one would have to pay for coins. There are other vendors out there, just do your homework and compare prices before you commit.

I had quotes from five companies, and Oak Coins prices were about the same as the others. The thing that got me was that they gave me pins with my order. So, to me, that was a value added feature.

Hmm, there was only one other vendor who's pricing was comperable to Oak's when the GGA coins were shopped with several vendors & quoted, and that one vendor was with a mint where the coin quality was far substandard (at the time). So the decision was simple. In fact Oak was $1 cheaper PER COIN than the higest of the quotes I received. On 500 coins, that's a lot of cash!

I am in the process of having our club's coin produced by Oak Coins. Although I haven't received the coins yet, the samples I have received are very nice. Sara is great to work with too. She definately stays on top of things and her patience is amazing. :D

I got quotes from a couple of different mints, and Oak Coins was the cheapest. They were also the only mint that offered me a 12% club discount as well. If we had bought 500 coins, they offered 300 free matching pins (without the discount), but since our club is so new (read small) we just couldn't afford to go that route, so we ordered 250 and took them up on the 12% discount. ;)

I'll probably never make another coin, but If I did, Oak Coins would be the ones I called first.

Christian (Oakcoins) did my coin (on left <--) and is doing the Caching Zone coins (elsewhere in these forums). I'm very happy with his work and will use him on my next coin - same die, different metal. :D

Aw! Sorry you had to work with that Christian guy Nscaler, he is almost as bad as that Neilsen guy... Sara is still much nicer (and her typing is so much easier to read). ;):P

:D

When we did our coin we priced 4 places, we never to this day have heard back from one of them but only one of the others beat OakCoins price and even at then it was not by much money.

We knew OC had quality coins so we went with them.

Don't forget that price isn't everything.

Regardless of who you go with you should ask them to tell you which other coins they have done, ask for references and get samples to see the type of quality you can get. There have been several horror stories in the forums before, on quality as well as general delivery times.

Anyone who has handled quite afew of the existing coins out there can tell you that there is a quality difference between some of the companies.

I wouldn't deal with any company that would not provide me with samples of their work (I would accept a small cost for their samples), or would not provide sample coins before I had to commit to a full order.

Of course there are alot of examples of Oak Coins work travelling the caches, and in the coin collections that travel to events.

Hmm, there was only one other vendor who's pricing was comperable to Oak's when the GGA coins were shopped with several vendors & quoted, and that one vendor was with a mint where the coin quality was far substandard (at the time). So the decision was simple. In fact Oak was $1 cheaper PER COIN than the higest of the quotes I received. On 500 coins, that's a lot of cash!

Atlantagal, I'm sure there is a least one minter you didn't get a quote from.

Edited by CacheHunters42

I'm thinking of going through Oak Coins to have my coins minted up. Anyone had experiance with this minter, Would you recomend them or not?

I considered Oak Coins for my new Nero V2 coin which i should have in hand in a few weeks.

I sent them a rough art and just want happy with what i was getting back from them. however the coins I have that they produce are very good quality. im sure having art done by someone else who specializes in that is the way to go. they did say that with 500 coins you get i think 300 free pins, but i wasnt looking to get that many coins done.

Christian (Oakcoins) did my coin (on left <--) and is doing the Caching Zone coins (elsewhere in these forums). I'm very happy with his work and will use him on my next coin - same die, different metal. :)

Aw! Sorry you had to work with that Christian guy Nscaler, he is almost as bad as that Neilsen guy... Sara is still much nicer (and her typing is so much easier to read). :):)

:(

We like Sara too!!! Its rare to find someone with a sign which said "Will work for Coins!".

Oak Coins has made coins for me and they were the lowest priced.

Seeing how you are a seasoned geocacher, how many times have you purchsed geocoins for yourself?

I did different research for my coin.

I assumed that, within a certain percentage, all coins of similar quality would be similar in price. So, before dealing with price quotes, I sent a short list of questions to five mints.

Only two answered any of the questions, and only one provided complete answers, including the metallurgical questions regarding the quality and make-up of the coins they produce.

That one mint was Oak Coins.

Because they could speak intelligently about their business and their product, I had the confidence to pay their price and didn't get other serious quotes, although I did compare them against Coins and Pins on the first coin (the place that had the second best answers) and found the prices comparable.

The one thing I would advise anyone to be wary of... Some of the places that have super inexpensive prices may be able to offer those prices because they reserve the right to issue more coins of your design and sell them. There's nothing wrong with that, and frankly, it's a good business model if you ask me... but if rights to your design are important to you, such a place may not be the best choice, even if you will pay more somewhere else.