Category Proposal: Heritage Buildings

I am proposing a new master category for Heritage Buildings. The idea is that the building needs to be an existing building that is a heritage protected building and on a recognized national, provincial/state, municipal/county, or city heritage list such as:

Regina Heritage Building List

or

Canadian Heritage Buildings

or

US Heritage Buildings

One of the requirements of posting to the category would be a link to the list the building is on.

The question is is this category too big? There must be 100's of thousands of heritage buildings in the world Perhaps Heritage Buildings should be a master category and then break it down by Country?

Herbie

There already is an Ontario Heritage Properties category, that could contain up to 7000 listings. I think your idea would be fine, as long as each State/Province has its own section. Otherwise it will be too big.

Perhaps you could start by proposing your area, and if enough other areas join up then OpinioNate/Bootron will create a sub set area.

;) The Blue Quasar

There is already a category for U.S. National Register of Historic Places category (there are 85,000+ places on the Register). The list you had for the U.S. is only for historic federal buildings, many of which are on the National Register. Expanding a category to any building on any heritage list would be huge and unmanageable.

Thanks for the feedback. I was aiming for something with more global appeal (as per the guidelines). But if you think that creating a category for "Saskatchewan Heritage Buildings" would be more manageable, that would be ok with me, and more in line with my personal interests.

Quite frankly, the way the Waymarking categories are organized is sometimes baffling to me. It seems like there is no rhyme or reason. Some categories cover a relatively small geographic area, others quite a large one. It seems to me that defining them hierarchical from the start might have made them more manageble. But I guess those improvements can come as the activity grows.

Thanks again!

Herbie