two way handheld

o3fxstb

Good evening,

I am doing a fair amount of searching with my son, somewhat competing. I noticed many of you list "ham" radio in your hobbies. What do you think of the gps radios. If not those, then a very good quality radio to keep me in communication with my son. As we all know, the terrain can be quite severe in some cases. I'm looking for something that is way overkill before I go with too little. Does anyone else use radios to be in touch with their group ? If so, what do you recommend ?

;)

If you have two (or more) of them, the Garmin Rino units are really cool. They are a GPS/GMRS/FRS but the really neat feature is that they broadcast your position to other Rino users. That way you and your son can see exactly where each of you are.

Put Mapsource Topo on the units and you'll see terrain features and can tell precisely where your companion is.

Edited by briansnat

what is the true talking distance on these rhino's? and can they use any Garmin maps, i have a street pilot 2610. could i use their maps on this?

It all depends on the Terrain, just as any other FRS radio. I have had success at 1/2 mile once at Topaz Mountain in Utah with both of us on the same side of the all rock mountain. As soon as one of us would go behind a rock or beneath a rock shelf there would be no signal at as close as 200 ft.

If you have a tree, rock, bend in the river etc. between you and another person the reception goes way down. I have not tried them on wide open areas but in the hills, streams and valleys of West KY, Southern IL and South East MO 1/4 mile is about the best we get. The position broadcasting only works on the FRS settings so I have never gotten an FCC license or activated the GMRS ability of the RINOs.

The RINO will use any of the Garmin Mapsource Maps but the not all of them have turn by turn or auto routing capabilities.

Joe

what is the true talking distance on these rhino's? and can they use any garmin maps, i have a street pilot 2610. could i use their maps on this?

They are like any other FRS/GMRS radio. Distance depends on terrain and openness. I've easily gotten over 6 miles on mine, but that was open water. In a city, 1/2 mile may be pushing it.

Don't know about the maps, sorry.

i like the rhino feature if it broadcasts the position of the other persons location, sort of like a homing device. does it show the location on the map? how is that possible? must have some kind of homing device!

Its just a radio receiver/transmitter. Each person needs to have a Rino for this to work.

i like the rhino feature if it broadcasts the position of the other persons location, sort of like a homing device. does it show the location on the map? how is that possible? must have some kind of homing device!

Its just a radio receiver/transmitter. Each person needs to have a Rino for this to work.

thanks for all of these info.

I'm glad to see this topic come up. I was thinking about getting some FRS radios and was doing some research on them last night. One question I had concerns FRS vs GMRS. Can you get by with just FRS (it seems everything I find has the capability for both)? As The_Matneys posted earlier, the GMRS requires a license. Is this a worthwhile investment? Just curious, are those of you that use the upper band/5Watt/GMRS channels all licensed, or is it common to just use those channels and hope the black helicopters don't zero in on your location? :P . Thanks.

I'm glad to see this topic come up. I was thinking about getting some FRS radios and was doing some research on them last night. One question I had concerns FRS vs GMRS. Can you get by with just FRS (it seems everything I find has the capability for both)? As The_Matneys posted earlier, the GMRS requires a license. Is this a worthwhile investment? Just curious, are those of you that use the upper band/5Watt/GMRS channels all licensed, or is it common to just use those channels and hope the black helicopters don't zero in on your location? :P . Thanks.

Don't forget that you can read Today's Cacher Magazine for information about many geocaching topics.

I have my GMRS license; WPZU728

and my ham ticket W7CLC

Edited by Criminal