what benefits in using a micro sd card?

i've noticed some folks here are using the micro sd cards instead of the standard size sd cards for their gpsr. are there any reasons to use them instead of the cheaper standard size sd cards?

The slots are designed for microSD, and the full-size SD cards just won't fit. Micros come with an adapter so you can use them in a full-size SD slot, but not vice versa. If you shop carefully you can get a lot of microSD memory very reasonably; I bought a 1gb name brand unit from Buy.com last week for $30 including $10 Google checkout discount.

-ArtMan-

but some users are using them instead of the standard sd cards that normally could fit in their gpsr. there's really no benefit then, are there, if the standard fits, it's just as good but cheaper, is that correct?

Yes, except you can take the microSD out and say "Look how small this card is!"

Hehe. I was going to say something similar.

But seriously, buying a microSD will give you added flexability. Not only can those cards be use in a standard SD slot with the adapter, but they can also be used in devices which only support microSD. Cell phones and GPSr's are two such devices that will make use of a microSD card.

Edited by Seedillume

but some users are using them instead of the standard sd cards that normally could fit in their gpsr. there's really no benefit then, are there, if the standard fits, it's just as good but cheaper, is that correct?

I use a 1GB microSD card in my Garmin GPSr because that is the only [physical] size (not capacity) it will accept. I use a "standard" SD card in my Magellan because I could get a 2GB standard SD card for the same price as a 1GB microSD card, so I can put twice as many maps, etc on the SD card without having to connect to the PC to move things around.

I would guess that most people who are using microSD cards with adapters are doing so for one of the following reasons:

1. They already have them from some other device

2. They were in a hurry and bought the first SD card they saw

3. They thought that they are looking forward to a new phone or mp3 player that already uses them

4. This is what the clerk at the store told them they need

Here is a good price on a 2gb mini with adapter.

That may be a good deal for a miniSD card, but the Garmin units use a microSD card (smaller and more expensive). The best prices I've seen on the 2GB microSD card was about $75, and I don't know if that special is still available...

Wow...so much memory so little time! :mad:

Everything changes so fast.

Here is a micro at a pretty good price.

Kayakanimal