arrived garmin 60csx can it

the garmin 60csx came today with a cd, MAPSOURCE im so new at this when i download the cd to my computer will there be any feautres on this cd that will be loaded into the gps unit itself or do those downloads come from other programs.

specificly there is a LAKE close by ITS A LARGE AREA will this cd have the names of major creeks and points of interest on this lake on this cd.

for those of you that took time to help me thanks

Edited by dale hollow lake

the garmin 60csx came today with a cd, MAPSOURCE im so new at this when i download the cd to my computer will there be any feautres on this cd that will be loaded into the gps unit itself or do those downloads come from other programs.

specificly there is a LAKE close by ITS A LARGE AREA will this cd have the names of major creeks and points of interest on this lake on this cd.

MapSource is a waypoint management application, and provides the PC with the user interface for the Garmin Map products. If you didn't buy additional maps, then you only have the base map that comes with the GPS. If you do buy additional maps, you would use MapSource to upload them to your GPS.

MapSource is a waypoint management application, and provides the PC with the user interface for the Garmin Map products. If you didn't buy additional maps, then you only have the base map that comes with the GPS. If you do buy additional maps, you would use MapSource to upload them to your GPS.

so do i understand the cd that came with it is so the other programs i obtain needs the map source to load into my gps?

I have access to mapquest4 (which is quite old now) for information only could i load that program into this unit, and secondly I plan to do some geo chache close to home here and I travel on a lake here thats well known and large, what are the possibilities of finding aa program on line i could download to serve my needs or do i just need to buy one thanks

Jiminy crickets, you need to proof read your writing.

Read the rest of the label on the CD you received. I suspect you received the Trip and waypoint manager, and you'll have to purchase City Navigator to find what you are looking for.

I don't believe CN will name creeks, but TOPO might. My City Select names major rivers, but not creeks.

if you want lakes, rivers, and creeks, you need to go with Mapsource Topo. It shows all of this plus elevation and many other topography features. It also gives you city streets and streets in rural towns, but it does not give you points of interest and you cannot enter an address for Auto Navigation. For that you will need City Navigator.

There are many posts on this site that describe the different Garmin software. I have both Topo and City Nav. I like to use CN when travelling and I use the Topo for wehn I go offroading to find new fishing spots!!

Edited by bueller44
I have both Topo and City Nav. I like to use CN when travelling and I use the Topo for wehn I go offroading to find new fishing spots!!

Can you d/l both kinds of maps to the Garmin and use the CN map to route you to park and then the Topo to hike to the cache?

Yes you can. That is exactly how I use it. CN gets me to the general area, then Topo gets me the rest of the way.

Is the only difference with city navigator and metroguide the autonavigate feature? I want a good city map,but dont really need navigation

Older versions of Metroguide show many more lakes and streams than CN. On the other hand, MG a has a lot fewer business and services in its database than CN. And because the maps are constantly being upgraded, CN should have more up to date maps.

Actually older versions of Metroguide do autonavigate. I think V5 and earlier.

Edited by briansnat

so do i understand the cd that came with it is so the other programs i obtain needs the map source to load into my gps?

I have access to mapquest4 (which is quite old now) for information only could i load that program into this unit, and secondly I plan to do some geo chache close to home here and I travel on a lake here thats well known and large, what are the possibilities of finding aa program on line i could download to serve my needs or do i just need to buy one thanks

I second the opinion. You need to read up on the product and at least attempt to to learn and have some sort of understanding of what your are doing before you plaster this forum with redundant questions

Older versions of Metroguide show many more lakes and streams than CN. On the other hand, MG a has a lot fewer business and services in its database than CN. And because the maps are constantly being upgraded, CN should have more up to date maps.

Actually older versions of Metroguide do autonavigate. I think V5 and earlier.

1) If you're comparing equivalent versions of MG and CN, then the business and service POIs are identical. I.e. version 7 of MG-NA has the same POIs as version 7 of CN. The same is true of the roads and other map features, so the statement that CN maps are more up-to-date is also not correct. Version 8 is the most current one for both of these products.

The only version of MetroGuide-USA that had somewhat better lake/stream coverage was version 4 which was based on TeleAtlas/ETAK data rather than NavTeq. But all versions from 5 on have used identical NavTeq data for both MG-NA and CN-NA.

2) The only version of MetroGuide for the US that was *designed* to auto-route was version 4 (labeled either 4.01 or 4.02 on the CD and listed as having "Data Version" 3.0 under the "About" menu). But, as others have indicated, later versions (i.e. 5 and up), can be made to autoroute using some third-party software.

MetroGuide products for other parts of the world have somewhat different properties. E.g. the one for the MiddleEast has no auto-routing capabilities at all, whereas the one that's exclusively for Canada does support auto-routing without any need for third-party software.

3) It sounds like the original poster may well have MG-USA, v4 (although he referred to is as MapQuest 4 which is of course a completely separate web-based mapping company). If so, that will work fine in the 60CSx including the auto-routing function. Of course it's somewhat dated since it came out in 2001 and won't have the latest road or POI information.

Geodude and img2gps help out with MetroGuide and autorouting.

it doesn't work for me....i have metro guide middle east v2... and the software doesnt work for me...do you know if this works for making it auto routing?

thanks for you input

I don't know first hand; I forwarded info mentioned on other threads. Try emailing the owners of these programs.