With Regard to listing stuff here....

vfrpilot

Just my opinion folks -

What do you all think.... ?

If you're going to list something here, Why not do so BEFORE you list it on e-bay???

If you're gonna oppose this, ANSWER THE ABOVE ITALIC Question

I just saw someone selling a 60cx

CLICK HERE and they said it would go to ebay if not picked up here - now thats cool cause we members get 1st dibs on it...

But there are other people who list their item on e-bay & then list it here, asking us to join the price war & drum up their final sale.

And yea, before anyone says anything, I know its a free country & if you don't like it, don't bid.

All I'm saying is that:

It's the uncommon, unwritten rules of courtesy that make places (be they online forums or coffe shops) A more pleasent & trustful environment & in the process of being - this encourages the same.

In other words, it [NO DOUBT] perpetuates honesty.

Again, this isn't a invitation to debate - just an observation of fact because I see people doing both, giving members 1st shot and using the forum as an advertising venue for a ebay listing.

* edited to include example listing

Edited by vfrpilot

Just to be contrarian, I am not sure I see anything wrong with the practice.

Surely it's OK to offer an item for sale here. Surely it's OK to auction it on ebay. Why not advise browsers in this forum that a member of the geocaching community is offering something on ebay?

Will it possibly increase bidding on the ebay auction? Maybe. Why shouldn't the seller get the highest price he or she can? Today you're a buyer, but tomorrow you may be that seller.

I have never bought or sold GPS gear either through this forum or ebay, and I wouldn't hesitate to go either route. In fact, having recently upgraded, I have to decide how to dispose of my old GPSr. I may offer it here, or I may put it on ebay. But I still don't get why it's unethical to add a mention here if I decide to go the ebay route.

-ArtMan-

Just to be contrarian, I am not sure I see anything wrong with the practice.

Surely it's OK to offer an item for sale here. Surely it's OK to auction it on ebay. Why not advise browsers in this forum that a member of the geocaching community is offering something on ebay?

Will it possibly increase bidding on the ebay auction? Maybe. Why shouldn't the seller get the highest price he or she can? Today you're a buyer, but tomorrow you may be that seller.

I have never bought or sold GPS gear either through this forum or ebay, and I wouldn't hesitate to go either route. In fact, having recently upgraded, I have to decide how to dispose of my old GPSr. I may offer it here, or I may put it on ebay. But I still don't get why it's unethical to add a mention here if I decide to go the ebay route.

-ArtMan-

But I still don't get why it's unethical

This wasn't meant (as I stated) and won't become a debate.

Its simply a matter of courtesy as stated above & agreed upon above -

Perhaps another will explain -

Thanks for your input. :laughing:

One thing I have done in the past is sell it on eBay but post here and offer a discount (like 10%) on the final sale price if you are a Premium Member.

Most often though I try and sell on my local Caching forums first.

Edited by Red90

One thing I have done in the past is sell it on eBay but post here and offer a discount (like 10%) on the final sale price if you are a Premium Member.

Most often though I try and sell on my local Caching forums first.

>>>Most often though I try and sell on my local Caching forums first.<<<

My point {made} exactly[/i :P ]