How about a "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie gold doubloon style coin?

ClayC

When I first found out about geocoins, one of the first to pop in my head was a replica of the pirates of the caribbean movie gold doubloon coin. I know its not very 'geo', but it would be an interesting coin. Ive started collecting coins, and I dont go for every one, only the ones I find appealing. Here is a picture of the coin used in the movie:

Coin1_resize.jpg

While I do love that coin, there are actually several pirate themed coins available and they are (I think) personal coins, with the exception of 1 event coin. The coin you posted can actually be bought if you want that coin. Do a search for "Aztec gold" you'll surely find it, it comes in several metal weights too if I remember right, with different price points too. If all else fails in finding it, check ebay.

While I do love that coin, there are actually several pirate themed coins available and they are (I think) personal coins, with the exception of 1 event coin. The coin you posted can actually be bought if you want that coin. Do a search for "Aztec gold" you'll surely find it, it comes in several metal weights too if I remember right, with different price points too. If all else fails in finding it, check ebay.

I know you can buy it. the picture I found was from an ebay auction, and there were other places to buy replicas that I found on google. I just thought a copy that was geocaching.com trackable would be neat.

WH has those as his signature coin, he handed me one at GeoJamboree 2. There are also the Pirates of Harriman coins that look very similar. :(

Hmmm I didnt know that!! Ive seen some "pirate" coins but never one that looked like the movie coin. Ill have to look into that one!

thanks!

clay

When I first found out about geocoins, one of the first to pop in my head was a replica of the pirates of the caribbean movie gold doubloon coin.

It is a cool coin - but I have a feeling you'd hear from disney's lawayers if you tried selling a geocoin version of their trademarked film prop. Also, I'd be really surprised if Groundspeak would approve the design to make the coin trackable. I agree that a true "piece of eight" would make a fantastic coin, along the lines of the hand hammered spanish silver cobbs:

http://www.sycee-on-line.com/Spanish_cob-1.htm

Hmm... you've got me a thinkin'! Although there is NO WAY a coin that cool would travel from cache to cache! :unsure:

:huh:

Tiki