Approving own waymark

Hi,

In the categories in which I'm an owner or officer, I've approved my waymarks numerous times...I don't have a problem with this as I know that my submissions meet the waymark category criteria...

I've noticed that some officers in categories that I'm a member have included a pledge in their comments section to the effect that they will never approve their own waymarks...why?

I would like to hear from the community about their feelings about approving your own waymarks...

my feeling is that so long as the waymark category does not state that I shouldn't approve my own waymarks, and I am meeting any other stated criteria, there shouldn't be a problem...

What say you?

Jamie - NFA

I've noticed much the same thing.

I usually will let mine "sit" 24 hours, and give any other group officers time to approve it. I mostly do this to allow for someone else to look over it, in case of errors or what-have-you. If after 24 hours, noone else has not approved or commented, I'll go ahead and approve it myself.

I dont see any problems with approving ones own waymarks - especially if you are a category leader/founder.

Hi,

In the categories in which I'm an owner or officer, I've approved my waymarks numerous times...I don't have a problem with this as I know that my submissions meet the waymark category criteria...

I've noticed that some officers in categories that I'm a member have included a pledge in their comments section to the effect that they will never approve their own waymarks...why?

I would like to hear from the community about their feelings about approving your own waymarks...

my feeling is that so long as the waymark category does not state that I shouldn't approve my own waymarks, and I am meeting any other stated criteria, there shouldn't be a problem...

What say you?

Jamie - NFA

I, for one, do include that line as I would like my "Officers" to have the opportunity to check my submission and critique the page. I have had some of them rejected and was asked to make corrections to meet my own guidelines. :(

I also include that I will not "Approve" any "Waymarks" submitted to my "Leaders" Category unless asked to do so, or in his/her absence.

If you are an "Officer" in say 10 to 15 Categories do you always remember all the requirements of each one of them? Sometimes a "Leader" has to override a waymark 'Approval' as not meeting the guidelines which you really don't want to do as that interferes with the process.

I don't really care either way, but it's nice to have someone else check the entry for you in case you miss something. In my categories I would usually just let someone else check mine. Most have gone through, one I had to correct something in my entry. :unsure:

:huh:

Getting someone else to doublecheck your work ensures there are no mistakes. It also makes sure that people aren't just listing poor examples to increase their own numbers.

I've had a few of my own delined, for reasons of broken links, or not having all of the details I thought I did.

Personally I just feel better knowing that someone else says that my waymark is good enough to list publically.

Another reason, if another person created the same Waymark as I did, it would look like I picked mine oer theirs. This actually happened already.

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

There is a subtle, yet powerful thing that happens when you immediately proofread your own work. Rather than read what is actually written, you will read what you meant to write instead. Many people who write for a living will take a break and come back later to a piece of writing before edits. Maybe if you practice this method by the time you return someone else from your group will have had a chance to review your work.

If geocaching reviewers are any comparison, they almost never approve their own geocaches as to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

I kept getting notices about a waymark I submitted being rejected asking for a slight change. The request was sort of vague, so I kept overlooking the error. I had submitted the wrong town name, though it was close. I kept thinking something was wrong with the formatting until I got the "Hey you idiot, its the name of the town that is wrong!" message from the waymark reviewer. ;) He he. :D I just kept reading over that word never noticing that it was wrong.

I had done exactly what Opinionate suggests.

As in cache review, I prefer it if someone checks mine for dumb little errors that I would overlook. I am very good at catching other's mistakes, but like so many people I tend to miss my own.

i have approved a lot of my marks.

i had thought this was affecting 'my stats', turns out during one of the updates it was a factor in the owned section. i had went back and unchecked 'this mark is already approved' (that was the stat issue, they had not actually been through the spproval process).

though it is 'helpful' to be able to approve your own mark (you can post the waymark pics in your log instead of just to the waymark/immediate display), i have found that having someone else look over your work catches these things you miss.....

it could also be abused by waymarkers.....generating trash marks and making the numbers unreliable.....

back in the old days, marks could sit for months. if i noticed this was the case and i could i did approve them. i think those days are behind us.