Favorite Season to Geocache

icefall5

What is your favorite season to go geocaching?

Mine is winter, because it's fun to get out in the snow. It's nice to go into the woods in a park in the winter and be able to just sit and enjoy nature. There's usually not too many people there, and nature hold a spell over me. It's just so pristine.

I love winter. :(

I cache year round. Here in Kentucky, the weather may be weird, but usually not extreme.

I'll go with Fall, it's still warm but not terribly hot. Spring would be a close second. Whatever season the ticks aren't so bad is my favorite. :huh:

I will go with fall with out a shadow of a doubt and on a anther note I agree with Airmapper the weather in Kentucky is weird. :unsure:

Winter - no bugs, and if you're not FTF there's a trail to follow! And the ground is so nice and stiff!

Then - fall - after the first killer frost the bugs are gone, and there's often great pockets of good weather;

Summer - grand, as long as I've got a headnet and some DEET to immerse myself in before getting out;

Spring - bugs and mud - but I put on the knee boots and go ayway!...

My first response was 'cumin'. Oh I thought you were asking what was a geocacher's favorite seasoning. :unsure:

Then I thought of one of my favorite Peter Seller's movies, Being There, and this great line:

Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again. :huh:
But to really answer the question-spring is my favorite because everything is new again and starting to grow, but fall tends to be more caching friendly around here with better weather and no more ticks and skeeters once we get that first killer frost. And it always warms up again after that. :o

It seems like I'm in the minority but Summer is my favorite season for caching. The days are longer, it hardly rains, and the temp is usually in the 80's. Perfect!!

I'd have to agree with Summer. It's been depressing lately. But the time I get off of work, I only have maybe 2 hourse to geocache before it gets dark. Of course, all the parks close at dusk...sigh. I'm really missing the long Summer days where I can be out till after 9 before it got dark.

I see a lot of you like the winter time of year. Not me, I do not like or enjoy the snow and cold. I do like summer and will spend as much time as I can outside during the summer.

Jim

Kc8bdr

I think you're living in the wrong state then.

I'm really missing the long Summer days where I can be out till after 9 before it got dark.

That's why God invented the flashlight. Or was that Thomas Alva Einstein?

Edited by briansnat

In my neighborhood (central NJ) Summer has to be the best - every cache in the woods is covered in lovely poison ivy or surrounded by thickets of thorny bushes and vines, the ticks and mosquitos are active at all hours and are known to carry away pesky muggles (most of which are of the unsupervised pre-teen type once school is out), the heat and humidity make wearing shorts mandatory (which only enhances the experience brought on by the first items), and the local constabulary are out in full force due to the population swell brought on by the shore traffic moving along every major highway in the area. :D

I'm going to go with summer. Fall just reminds me that everything is dying and snow is just around the corner. :D

I love the heat, and I love how everything is green and alive. There seems to be more wildlife about, and any water/gatorade I have with me tastes extra delicious/refreshing. Plus I don't get chilly when I sit down to have my lunch on a vista where there's a breeze.

Yes, it's summer for me. Next to that, it would be spring, but it tends to be wet and muddy in many places then.

Edited by ThePropers

Definately winter because in north-central Florida summer fun includes: heat, humidity, dense vines, many very large spiders, many ticks including ones that carry lyme disease, active fire ants and other nice critters, and much more poison ivy. I actually change the terrain rating for two of my caches (HAUNTED and TALL TIMBER) from 2.5 to 4.0 in summer to reflect the hazardous conditions. I love winter in Florida !

I'd have to agree with Summer. It's been depressing lately. But the time I get off of work, I only have maybe 2 hourse to geocache before it gets dark. Of course, all the parks close at dusk...sigh. I'm really missing the long Summer days where I can be out till after 9 before it got dark.

Your parks close at dusk? :D Mine close at 10, regardless of season or light levels.

You mean Thomas Alva Edison? Or was there a deeper hidden joke in there?

Your parks close at dusk? :laughing: Mine close at 10, regardless of season or light levels.

You mean Thomas Alva Edison? Or was there a deeper hidden joke in there?

I think it was a deeper hidden joke in there. :unsure:

Many of the local and countie parks in the area close at dusk. My daughter and I were almost locked in the parking lot last year when stupid Dad forgot to hit the MOB button when he got out of the car. Luckily there were still some others who returned after us and shared the wrath of the park ranger.

Definitely Fall, Winter and Spring. Summer is way too hot, although 5 minutes starts you up to the cooler mountains and the cool beachs are only 1.5 hours away.

In Winter, everything is green and the snakes, ticks and hitch hiking stickers are gone. Yet the temps run from 55 to 85. It's hard to beat.

I love caching during the winter because the bugs, weeds, poison ivy, ticks, muggles, and anything we all hate to come across is gone. The downside around here is some caches can be covered in 5 feet of snow. Otherwise I also like fall because the leaf colors changes are very pretty.

I love caching during the winter because the bugs, weeds, poison ivy, ticks, muggles, and anything we all hate to come across is gone. The downside around here is some caches can be covered in 5 feet of snow. Otherwise I also like fall because the leaf colors changes are very pretty.

But it's so much fun when they're covered in snow! Then you get to bring a shovel along with you!

Maybe the owners should disable them for the winter... It breaks the rule of being buried. :)

Ok... That was lame. :P