Pocket Cache on demand

retrofit

Hello,

Was thinking the other day about all of the pocket cache file that show up in my email that I throw away and the times that I wanted to file NOW, only to create the querry and then wait hours until it showed up. Started to wonder if the everyone is scheduling pocket caches daily that are not used, would it not be better to just have a run querry and get it on demand than waste all of the processing of thousands unneeded files just so we could have them in our email box just incase? Then the file that I would be looking at would be current as of the time I ran it that evening and not 11 hours old because that's the last time it ran.

Just looking at my account with 3 scheduled querries that run daily, and in reality I only want 2 or 3 a week, but I keep them running just incase... 21 scheduled vs 3 on demand then assume that I can only need that 2 weeks out of the month... 84 vs 6.... times that by 10,000 users...

just a thought

-retro-

I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for an impromptu PQ to show up in my mailbox. And it's usually closer to 4 minutes. That's pretty "on demand", in my book.

New PQ's should show up in about 10 minutes or so. If you have ever run it before, it could take some time as the queue is sorted by date last run.

BTW: Call them Pocket Queries, not Pocket Caches. Pocket caches are something totally different and frowned on by most.

I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for an impromptu PQ to show up in my mailbox. And it's usually closer to 4 minutes. That's pretty "on demand", in my book.
New PQ's should show up in about 10 minutes or so. If you have ever run it before, it could take some time as the queue is sorted by date last run. ...

Even though they are sorted by last run date. As long as you haven't received it in the last week, it will go to the top of the pile.

I also have problems receiving PQs. It would be great if I could just download the query instead of waiting and mostly not receiving the email. I think there is a place for the scheduled email and there is a large place and demand for a download button, when you are in a hurry or just have a quick query. :(

I also have problems receiving PQs. It would be great if I could just download the query instead of waiting and mostly not receiving the email. I think there is a place for the scheduled email and there is a large demand for a download button, when you are in a hurry or just have a quick query. :(

Edited by rerb
For those that have trouble receiving the PQ emails. It is my understanding that this is generally an email problem on the receiver's end. Perhaps you could move your PQs to a gmail account.
"switch to gmail" is not the solution to every problem... any more than "switch to FireFox" or "switch to Linux" is.

back to the OP, I think part of the overall PQ waiting game in quitely hidden in this statement:

Just looking at my account with 3 scheduled querries that run daily, and in reality I only want 2 or 3 a week, but I keep them running just incase...
just in case of what? a major caching emergency? :unsure: Edited by mini cacher
For those that have trouble receiving the PQ emails. It is my understanding that this is generally an email problem on the receiver's end. Perhaps you could move your PQs to a gmail account.
"switch to gmail" is not the solution to every problem... any more than "switch to FireFox" or "switch to Linux" is. ...

I was specifically referring to the comment in the post just above mine:

I also have problems receiving PQs.

no. This is not true. I have a Hotmail, Yahoo, My own mail server and my ISP's email. And there is no rhyme or reason to this problem. Sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn’t.

Placing a simple button for downloading a query on the PQ screen would be a good improvement.

no. This is not true. I have a Hotmail, Yahoo, My own mail server and my ISP's email. And there is no rhyme or reason to this problem. Sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn’t.

Placing a simple button for downloading a query on the PQ screen would be a good improvement.

All I'm saying is that since I moved mine to gmail, I have no more problems. Further, I do not recall anyone else posting problems with receiving them through gmail.

I am not an admin or anything but a download button would not always work so well. While I get my PQs in 5 minutes or less - I am not gauranteed it will work that way. Even within that 5 minutes, it may have taken my PQ as much as 4 minutes to be run. So you would probably have to wait some amount of time before returning to "pickup" the PQ. Better to just email it when it is ready.

I personally have never seen any mail related problems with a PQ. I run my own web/mail server and have added the appropriate domains to a white list to make sure I get them.

I'm sure the amount of storage required would be rediculous, but it would be interesting to have the PQ file saved on the GC server for say 24 hrs after it was run... with the "download" button added to the vast array of buttons already on the "Build PQs" page. That certainly would not make them "on demand" but it would allow people to get them for a short period of time in case of an email snafu or something.

well... let's see... my last 5 PQs were ~400KB each (zipped with 400 caches). so worst case for any given PM would be 5 (max PQs in a day) * 500KB (per zipped PQ of 500 caches) = 2500KB or 2.5MB of storage. And then 10,000 (arbitrary number to represent Premium Members) * 2.5MB (to store the max 5 PQs on server) = 25GB

25GB of storage is actually not that much really. And if they had a shelf life of 24 hrs then they would not have tons of growing files hanging around. Even if every PM downloaded every one of their PQs every day, that would be 25GB of bandwidth... again, not that crazy.

Overall, I'd think the download option would be a nice addition. I might even forgo the email if I could just come in later and download it. They could even just make it a third choice to go with "email to account email" and "email to this email:" so that a person would have to choose. This way they don't waste email bandwidth AND download bandwidth.

How can I get an admin to consider placing a download button or option on the PQ screen for an on-demand effect?

Jeremy's been posting for months about his solution to the issue you've identified. Plans are in the works that will allow you to "bump" one of your pocket queries to the top of the list for that day. So, new pocket queries are pretty much "on demand" already, for most users with properly functioning e-mail accounts. And for existing PQ's that may have slid down a ways in the priority line, the bump feature will effectively turn one of those into an "on demand" query as well.

I am down to two or three queries scheduled per week, with any others being "on demand" a day or two before my trip. I've managed to find a few caches that way. :unsure:

I'm sure the amount of storage required would be rediculous, but it would be interesting to have the PQ file saved on the GC server for say 24 hrs after it was run... with the "download" button added to the vast array of buttons already on the "Build PQs" page. That certainly would not make them "on demand" but it would allow people to get them for a short period of time in case of an email snafu or something.

well... let's see... my last 5 PQs were ~400KB each (zipped with 400 caches). so worst case for any given PM would be 5 (max PQs in a day) * 500KB (per zipped PQ of 500 caches) = 2500KB or 2.5MB of storage. And then 10,000 (arbitrary number to represent Premium Members) * 2.5MB (to store the max 5 PQs on server) = 25GB

25GB of storage is actually not that much really. And if they had a shelf life of 24 hrs then they would not have tons of growing files hanging around. Even if every PM downloaded every one of their PQs every day, that would be 25GB of bandwidth... again, not that crazy.

Overall, I'd think the download option would be a nice addition. I might even forgo the email if I could just come in later and download it. They could even just make it a third choice to go with "email to account email" and "email to this email:" so that a person would have to choose. This way they don't waste email bandwidth AND download bandwidth.

Great work!

I nominate this one!

It would save on band width too. if it would email a link when the query is finished instead of the whole file.

Edited by rerb

I much prefer the On Demand approach for Pocket Querries. Thats how I end up using them anyway. Scheduling them constantly seems like a waste and that newest one is never there when you need it anyway. Scheduling it when you need it has been taking from hours to minutes for me lately, hours isn't helpful.

I'd much prefer to just click a button and have it dispatched.