"WORST" weather conditions challenge!

26 degrees below zero for a FTF!

My pen didn't work, I broke the ziplock bag that the log was in, my exposed bits were blue, it was a blast!!!

My first day ever of geocaching, it snowed 7 inches, and I fell through thin ice on a pond during my last hunt...

I once tipped over while canoeing to a cache during a light snow...

Another time I paddled to a cache during such a hard rain, that my canoe almost swamped due to the 3-4 inches of water sloshing around in the bottom...

Another time, I was caching in Moab, UT at the end of July, and spent an hour in 115 degree sun looking for a cache...I only stopped when I started getting dizzy...

wait...I'm a lunatic...I need to develop better judgement about when to head out caching...please...send help!!!

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

I would like to hear some true stories of the worst weather conditions others have been out

caching. Wifey has accused me of dragging her caching when she swears that NOBODY

else would go.

I assured her that many people just look at adverse weather as a "stimulating adjunct", but I don't think

I convinced her! B)

Check out the logs for this cache back in Feb.

Big Brother Bob Drinks Too Much

While doing the toughest caches I can in the "Counting Counties in Oregon " cache (GCR9XY) I have encountered some bad weather and bad roads as well. All 3 of the most memorable were more than 100 miles from home. Two on September 15, 2006 check my logs for Cougar Rock (GCP4B4) and Baldy Dash (GCM4A9). I met Chubby Forest Monkey (CFM) on February 28 and we snowshoed up Hogg Rock to Baked Ham (GCK0XZ). It was a DNF but check CFM's pics. She came back with Odder on June 23 to find it.

Odder is another story, I saw her do a polar bear swim at an event cache earlier in February.

Check my bookmark list for CCiO. 3 more counties to go...

Tom Fuller Crescent, Oregon

Ice storm last November. I wanted to clear all the caches in the Fargo-Moorhead (Red River of North) before winter.

There said NO Travel-but then its geocaching is special to us nuts :(

The hardest thing was getting the little micro log out of the bison tube. I had to take it back to my car and I nearly wiped out going back to place it in its hiding place. I was the last one to find it until the flood left the area in April.

Our trip to the Haystack Hike cache comes to mind. It wasn't that cold, temps were in the 20s, but when we started out it was overcast and breezy. On our way up the mountain that changed and it started snowing, but what was really intense was the wind. The gusts were close to hurricane force and the trees were heeling over. As we walked along the trail we could feel ourselves going up and down because the tree roots were lifting the ground when the wind gusted. It was a really strange feeling and kind of scary. The snow was almost horizontal a times. To add to things it had rained heavily the day before so the trail was basically a stream (see pic below).

I love weather like this. Makes you feel so alive!

087f3785-4548-466f-9252-4b4eff596336.jpg

We've also gone out after snowstorms (once after a 2 ft dump), in cold condiitions (near 0 F) and in the pouring rain.

Edited by briansnat

I have read all the updates and I cannot believe them!!! Yet, I DO BELIEVE THEM! These things are

too real to be made up.

My greatest difficulty was when a tiny bridge was being repaired and I had to walk in two inches of water across a "raging" stream that was two feet wide!

I can see that I have a lot of contemplating to do about some future caches and difficulty ratings. I have GOT to get me a good story too!! :(

Edited by chuckwagon101

I have a habit of storm racing on the ground. I once got to camp literally as a storm hit with 30mph+ winds. I was checking on one of my own caches.

I've night cached with a group during active storm warnings, and got in from that just as the bottom fell out and it started pouring. The lightening was helping us read the GPS screen.

After that I finally ran out of luck and got caught in a downpour, no storms though, just got soaked. I had met another cacher in the woods, and we were hunting aimlessly due to bad coords. I got a call on the radio that it was coming, so we headed out, but it started pouring soon after.

I have read all the updates and I cannot believe them!!! Yet, I DO BELIEVE THEM! These things are

too real to be made up.

My greatest difficulty was when a tiny bridge was being repaired and I had to walk in two inches of water across a "raging" stream that was two feet wide!

I can see that I have a lot of contemplating to do about some future caches and difficulty ratings. I have GOT to get me a good story too!! :(

You have to remember that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Snow, rain, and hail? Let's look at the other end of the spectrum. Picture a cloudless day in August anyplace in the desert southwest. Hiking even a half mile in 120º is insane. (yes, I did it once)

Hey Moose, you lived to tell about it too! I think I can take the heat better than the cold....

but I don't know.

Having a heat stroke would be a problem for me to worry about. I only have a few caches and they were found during hot weather. We take water and don't push it if it's more than a mile in the heat. But 120 degrees...............YIKES! I don't think I could do it.