MapSource Nightmare

BHP1

Hi,

I was having a problem with MapSource involving the program saying that my "Unlock_lang.dll is incorrect or corrupt". I tried to copy the proper .dll from the CD, but that didn't do the trick.

So, I decided to uninstall and reinstall to see if that would fix my problem, but it only created more, bigger problems. After numerous install attempts of Trip and Waypoint Mngr., City Select, Topo USA and the East and West National Parks topos. including just installing T&W Manager, I keep getting an error that the Mapsource registry is corrupted and to re-install MapSource. I've done this many times now with no luck. including doing a system restore to a couple of days ago. At one point, I did get Mapsource to start, but even though City Select was listed in the map product drop-down list, the City Select maps wouldn't display in MapSource, so I started from scratch and am stuck with the registry error.

I'm wondering if it's safe to do a registry search and to delete all of the Garmin registry keys. I want to get Mapsource working, but I don't want to disable my PC in the process. Any help would be appreciated!!

Edited by BHP1

Hi,

I was having a problem with MapSource involving the program saying that my "Unlock_lang.dll is incorrect or corrupt". I tried to copy the proper .dll from the CD, but that didn't do the trick.

Did you apply the garmin patch for the topo maps? You need to apply it before you run mapsource after you install the topo maps, if I remember correctly, otherwise mapsource will crash. (I don't know the specifics of the crash)

I think you'll need to remove and reinstall mapsource to fix your problem. Patch topo immediately after you install it, before you run mapsource. Maybe that'll fix your problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think that's my problem, because I'm getting the registry error after installing just Trip and Waypoint Manager and applying the latest MapSource patch. I've also tried installing just City Select and still get the registry error. I'll take a break tonight and try another re-install in the morning and make sure I patch Topo when I do.

OK, I've got City Select up and running. I was forgetting to run the basemap patch after installing it, which I did this time and so far, so good.

I now need to install my Topo programs. I've looked all over the Garmin site for the Topo patch mentioned by Doc Ditto above and can't find it. Can anyone confirm that there is a Topo patch and steer me towards it if so??

Thanks!

OK, I've got City Select up and running. I was forgetting to run the basemap patch after installing it, which I did this time and so far, so good.

I now need to install my Topo programs. I've looked all over the Garmin site for the Topo patch mentioned by Doc Ditto above and can't find it. Can anyone confirm that there is a Topo patch and steer me towards it if so??

Thanks!

I think this will get you there:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

(Look on the right side of the window for the basemap patch)

I had the same error when I uninstalled/reinstalled. I had to download Register Mechanic and ran it. Cleared up all those errors associated with Garmin, as well as a bunch of others.

Same problems, I wasted about 12 hours one weekend trying to upgrade to Garmin City Select V7 from V6. At the end of the installation it reported a corrupt registry and told me to reinstall it. This option may or may not be available to you.

1) I installed City Select V7 on my Wifes laptop running the same OS (Windows XP). It had never had Garmin product installed on it.

2) I exported "only" the City Select registry entries from my wifes computer

3) I then deleted all my current City Select registry entries on the problem workstation

4) Imported this file into my workstation registry and V7 now worked.

I believe Garmin has some serious issues with their installation programs if the installation is being accomplished on a computer that had prior versions of mapsource products on it.

Location of entry in registry is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

-SOFTWARE

--Garmin

---MapSource

----Families

-----City Select North America v7

In this case I'd install the software on a clean computer

export the "families"entry from another computer

delete the entire "families" registry from the problem computer

import this registry file into the problem computer (It will only change the Garmin registry entry).

Edited by markhp

Ok, I finally got everything re-installed and working. What I did was install a Mapsource component (City Select, Topo) and then run the mapsource patch. I ran the patch after each component install, and then started Mapsource to confirm it would open. This seems to have worked.

One problem I do have is the original issue that started this whole ordeal: I'm getting a "Unlock Wizard: Incorrect or missing language dll file. Please re-install UnlockWizard_Lang.dll" . I tried again to just copy the .dll from the City Select CD to the C:\Garmin folder, but that didn't cure the problem. I did go through the unlock procedure during the City Select install, so I'm hoping that this won't cause problems down the line. Right now I have the maps I need on my 60Cx, so I'm reluctant to load another map set, for fear of the maps showing up as not unlocked on my unit.

EDIT: I've now figured out what the problem is. Somewhere along the way, I guess the Mapsource update is also updating the Unlock Wizard, but not the "UnlockWizard_lang.dll" file. The Unlock Wizard is version 3.0.2.0 while the language dll file is version 2.6.5.0. If I go to the City Select CD and copy the 2.6.5.0 version of the Unlock Wizard to my C:\Garmin folder, the the Unlock Wizard runs fine. So what I need is version 3.0.2.0 of the "UnlockWizard_Lang.dll". If anyone has this and is willing to email it to me I would appreciate it. Email: bulldog1 AT mindspring.com

Thanks!

Edited by BHP1