WM 2.0 Suggestion Box

--with the site update when viewing the gallery for a waymark does not display the name of the pic file above the thumbnail, it does still display the date of upload below. when getting a mark approved notice i link to the gallery to see what day i was there and log that date. but now that that data is no longer displayed i must navigate to the 'isolated' pic to see the file name. please reinstitute this data display. along these lines, the 'magnification' of thumbnails is great, but could the pic discriptopns be added to the magnification 'balloon'?

--can a gallery tab be added to 'our profiles' (a la GC.com)? this gallery should include both pics associated with logs as well as those associated with owning a mark.

--can the waymark approval page be reformatted. it is currently TOP- Approval Box, MID- Proximity alerts, BOTTOM- Mark. so you link to the page, scroll down to see if there is a proximity conflict, review the mark, recheck the proximity (?), and approve. so the logical progression of the action is: TOP- Proximity, MID- Mark, BOTTOM- Approve.

--on the directory you can sort by largest. this adds the total number of marks in the category displayed at the end of the 'link' to it. as you davigate down the tree the nubmer 'breakdown' is displayed there. can these numbers be premanently associated with the category name--the appear every time the name is. for example: click 'largest categories'. currently you would see RUSBM, USNRHP, PA HM, Fountains, etc....it would be nice if it were: RUSBM (1242), USNRHP (1155), PA HM (721), Fountains (635), etc.....

--in addition to the previos suggestion, can the leader and officers have the number of marks needing approval be added....so it would display: RUSBM (1242/insert # in que)

--when viewing most WM pages it seems that everything is taking up more space (displaying fewer results). i saw the posting about something being hard to read, which i have not investigated, but i equate the differences i see to be a kin to changing your font from Times New Romal to Courier New. TNR is the preferred font for many many applications for many reasons. CN is also as useful, however, the size is quite larger than TNR, and taking up more space. it could also be a function of altering the font size.

--also discussed else where is the default pic for a log. i would like to see it operate like: you make your log, link from the 'you submitted a log' page to the upload pic for log page. upload all of your pics. go to the log gallery. 'click' on the 'one you want', and there is a 'make default log image' check box and submit button. then when viewing the log, you see the text, with your pic large, and all other as thumbnails below.

i am sure i have more, but this is the list i made while going through the past few days emails.

add the ability to download a loc file of all waymarks in a given category with a search area...rather than 1 at a time

jamie - nfa

Did you notice the checkboxes at the left of the page and the check all button at the bottom? It's about 10x faster that way. B)

whoops...sorry

My major pain point about Waymarking is: uploading a second photo.

I have a bunch of waymarks to do that have been sitting around on note papers for quite a while, partly because of this pain point. Categories I participate in generally require 2 photographs and I definitely approve of that. The problem I have is all the mouse clicking and page views required by the present process. It was a great improvement when the the main photo was included in the main entry page. But it still seems that putting in the second photo doubles the time of establishing a waymark. It requires another round of clicking here and there to do it.

I suggest making it so that, along with the regular input of waymark description and variable filling, at least 2 pictures can be entered on the same form. The goal is to be able to fill in the entire waymark including description, variables, 2 photos, 2 photo captions, and 2 photo descriptions in one shot and hit the submit button at the bottom that would submit the waymark and take you to a view of the finished waymark.

At that point, there should be 2 buttons available on that finished waymark screen:

1. Edit this waymark

2. Submit another waymark in this category.

There's also a minor pain point that the description of a photo can't be editied, at least it couldn't last time I submitted a waymark. The only option seems to be to delete (actually, archive) the photo entirely and upload it again, just to be able to fix the description.

There is still no way to see if a waymark has been declined by another officer and why, when it resubmitted.

Something like a history of the waymark would be a great addition.

We also need to have the photos from visits not be allowed to be the default image for the waymark

There is still no way to see if a waymark has been declined by another officer and why, when it resubmitted.

This would be a huge help! I see confirmation then resubmission and would like to know what the reasoning was.

We also need to have the photos from visits not be allowed to be the default image for the waymark

That was fixed in the bugs thread.

:D

This would be a huge help! I see confirmation then resubmission and would like to know what the reasoning was.

why not allow log pics to be set as default? what if i had a bad night shot or something, or i like a log pic (to show 'change') and want to set that as the default? writing pics (html) into your description allows for those to remain as 'waymark visualization?

why not allow log pics to be set as default? what if i had a bad night shot or something, or i like a log pic (to show 'change') and want to set that as the default? writing pics (html) into your description allows for those to remain as 'waymark visualization?

I think that log pictures should be allowed as default pictures. The problem was not that the log pictures were used, it was that the owner of the waymark was not the one selecting the default, the person logging the waymark could change the default. I think if the owner wants to select a picture from the gallery as the default it should be fine. (possibly the leader of the group managing the category also especially in the case that no default picture is selected)

I think that log pictures should be allowed as default pictures. The problem was not that the log pictures were used, it was that the owner of the waymark was not the one selecting the default, the person logging the waymark could change the default. I think if the owner wants to select a picture from the gallery as the default it should be fine. (possibly the leader of the group managing the category also especially in the case that no default picture is selected)

i saw the bug thread, and made a post similar in argument to your statement.

Hi,

Could we have a 'find and sort button' added to every waymark?

Purpose is to 'find, sort and display' (all) the waymarks 'on distance' in respect to that specific waymark in that specific group.

OR

can this be achieved in another way?

Please compare this with "Find ...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found" at Www.Geocaching.Com published on every geocache page.

Something to think about?

Barjon.

ADDED:

Uh-Oh,

Found it! Click on a waymark and on the next page go down and choose "Nearest of ..."

Sorry, my eyes were sanded.

Edited by Barjon

When I send approve or decline (webmail from the site), the created mail looks like as it is generated by Groundspeak. At least when you don't write any text >> with your name under it << in the text window.

1st

I would like to have this webmail generated, as if it is made by ME (the approving officer). So MY nickname with MY email link should be IN and UNDER that mail.

2nd

I would like to have a (default checked) checkbox added, to indicate that I want a copy send to MY personal email address. Reason: I cannot trace back what I wrote/answered in the approve or decline webmail: I have no copy.

Please concider this request.

Barjon.

I would also like to see my Groups list be alphabetized as My categories are. Curently there are in the order that I joined or created them.

Better, but I would like to be able to arrange the order of my groups myself. It would really help if I could have the ones where I am leader, then officer listed first, and within that put the most active ones near the top.

At least if there were some easy way to identify leader, officer, regular member status it would make management a lot easier.

It might be helpful to have the "Nearest Waymarks" link on the page that comes up after you upload your image for a visited Waymark.

I find that I generally find clusters of Waymarks when I'm out, much like finding all of the caches in the area. This would save several clicks and page loads.

Or maybe have the list of nearest waymarks automatically load below the "upload an image" screen

Not really important, just thinking from a 'ease of use' perspective.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Maybe this is something I missed:

It seems than in the 2.0 rollout, the "nearest benchmarks" link was left out. I thought I recalled seeing in the beta version, but now I cant find it.

As I am starting to prefer Waymarking & benchmarking, over geocaching, I would find this a useful tool. Not sure about anyone else though... :)

Oh I definitely have been missing the nearest benchmarks link too, but have been too shy to ask for it. :)

I currently use a work-around by hand-altering the URL for "Nearest Geocaches". I do this on most RUSB submissions to make sure the mark submitted isn't already on the geocaching benchmark side. This is how I know that a Nearest Benchmarks link has never existed on Waymarking.

A real link would be nice, not only for this function, but also there seems to be some people who are 'getting into' benchmarking via Waymarking and aren't that familiar with the geocaching benchmark side yet.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

on the my waymarks page the following information is displayed:

Date of creation (the day i submitted/saved the waymark)

date of last visit (the latest date selected in the create log process)

but can 'last updated on' (the last time i clicked on the 'update waymark' button) be added? being able to sort by this as well. with so many marks it is difficult to keep up with such things, and with marks created over a year ago, it would be nice to be easily able to refresh with any newfound information.

when you click 'nearest waymarks' the result page has the 'appropriate directory' displayed (at the top of every page). all fine and dandy, but can take up a lot of space. i would like to suggest that it be split into collumns, or even worked into the left most collumn--sort of like exploring folders on your computer.

Maybe this is something I missed:

It seems than in the 2.0 rollout, the "nearest benchmarks" link was left out. I thought I recalled seeing in the beta version, but now I cant find it.

As I am starting to prefer Waymarking & benchmarking, over geocaching, I would find this a useful tool. Not sure about anyone else though... :laughing:

It's still there. Navigate to any waymark details page for a particular benchmark, and scroll to the bottom. On the left center there are the various map links, on the right center there are 3 links: "nearest waymarks", "nearest benchmarks" and "nearest geocaches".

bootron -

Currently in any category, the links are:

Nearest Waymarks

Nearest in-watever-category-it-is

Nearest Geocaches (on the geocaching side)

What is being asked for in these posts is this:

Nearest Waymarks

Nearest in-whatever-category-it-is

Nearest Benchmarks (on the geocaching side)

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

bootron -

Currently in any category, the links are:

Nearest Waymarks

Nearest in-watever-category-it-is

What is being asked for in these posts is this:

Nearest Waymarks

Nearest in-whatever-category-it-is

Nearest Benchmarks (on the geocaching side)

You're right...it's a good suggestion. I'll see what I can do next week.

Before I see the 'real' (not reduced) uploaded image, I am several clicks on the way.

The recent picture structure is quite disappointing, this cannot be the intention.

I'll illustrate.

Goto Structures|Windmills

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx...586ab&gid=3

You'll see a little picture

Click on the picture of the first mill.

http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/details.aspx?...31edd&gid=3

You'll see a little picture, again

You would like to click on that pic for a larger view, impossible, no link, nothing to click, so...

Click on 'view waymark gallery'

http://www.Waymarking.com/gallery/default....31edd&gid=2

You'll see 1 or more little pictures belonging to this mill.

Click on one of the little pictures and you'll get a little bigger one, *)

click on this bigger one and finally you'll get the original uploaded photo.

This route is way to long!

In my opinion (look to the red line) that's the place where the original photo should pop up.

Can anyone support me in this proposal?

Barjon.

*) Made correction, I forgot 1 click.

Edited by Barjon

Barjon -

I see your point. Currently on this page, clicking on either "Molendo Windmills" or the windmill picture take you to the Molendo Windmills waymark page. I think what you are asking for is a change in reference so that clicking on the picture takes you directly to the non-reduced (full size) picture. This seems reasonable since there is already another place, the name "Molendo Windmills", to click on to get to the waymark's page. (I think this effect should also carry to the waymark's page itself, so that clicking on the default image takes you directly to its large size version instead of doing nothing.)

Other than that, I like the way the handling of pictures is designed. It seems like a lot of clicking at first, but the design is logical. You may find that what you actually will be wanting to do is to click on the "view gallery" links for each waymark on this page if you're wanting to see full sized pictures instead of waymark pagess! Clicking on the default image will show you only one of the pictures and it might not be the best for you.

You probably already know this place to click - clicking on "view gallery" over on the right side of the page for Windmills takes you to the gallery of all windmills without having to go to their waymark pages.

Other than that, I like the way the handling of pictures is designed. It seems like a lot of clicking at first, but the design is logical. You may find that what you actually will be wanting to do is to click on the "view gallery" links for each waymark on this page if you're wanting to see full sized pictures instead of waymark pagess! Clicking on the default image will show you only one of the pictures and it might not be the best for you.

You probably already know this place to click - clicking on "view gallery" over on the right side of the page for Windmills takes you to the gallery of all windmills without having to go to their waymark pages.

Black Dog Trackers,

Tonight I edited my text because I forgot 1 click. What I intended to express is the extensive way of clicking to see the original uploaded photo. There should be a way to get it quicker. I proposed 1 click on the actual little photo at the waymark screen. But there could be more or other possibilities.

What WM created up to now now is OK with me, but I want a much quicker way to see the original uploaded photo.

Is my clarification convenient to you?

Barjon.

how about including the 'category' search function to the home page with the address search (well, its actually putting it back on that page, as it moved in 2.0)

an dont forget about a 'WMxxxx' search field....

Right now you can enter a WMxxxxvalue in the search field for the directory. Make sure the "waymarks" option is checked. It will return the waymark you are asking for.

Before I see the 'real' (not reduced) uploaded image, I am several clicks on the way.

The recent picture structure is quite disappointing, this cannot be the intention.

I'll illustrate.

You would like to click on that pic for a larger view, impossible, no link, nothing to click, so...

In my opinion (look to the red line) that's the place where the original photo should pop up.

Barjon.

It's a good suggestion. I'll hopefully get to this soon.

I'll illustrate.

Barjon.

It's a good suggestion. I'll hopefully get to this soon.

Today I saw my whish is realised. Fine!

But there's a flaw at this new screen (with the full picture).

When you click 'gallery' in the line "Home > Directory > Waymark > Gallery > Image" at the top of the screen in the black background, you'll end up in a flaw. ==> Wrong screen!

1)

Top left: no image.

2)

Total Records: - Page: of prev<<<[]>>>next

*This gallery may contain images that are hidden due to your present location or waymark settings.

So, the gallery is not showing up.

Success with the repairs!

Rudolf.

Today I saw my whish is realised. Fine!

But there's a flaw at this new screen (with the full picture).

When you click 'gallery' in the line "Home > Directory > Waymark > Gallery > Image" at the top of the screen in the black background, you'll end up in a flaw. ==> Wrong screen!

1)

Top left: no image.

2)

*This gallery may contain images that are hidden due to your present location or waymark settings.

So, the gallery is not showing up.

Success with the repairs!

Rudolf.

Reported, and Sean says it's an easy fix and will be completed after his current task. Glad you like the change. :laughing: