So whaddya think about how you get these co-ords?

Shifty

The problem is when there is no documentation with the TB to tell people to keep it in the area, and someone actually does the geocacher thing and moves it 100 miles away perhaps? You don't see a problem with that? I want some of what you got. It wouldn't be an issue if people knew to keep it in the area, but there isn't any info with it.

Edited by Shifty

The problem is when there is no documentation with the TB to tell people to keep it in the area, and someone actually does the geocacher thing and moves it 100 miles away perhaps? You don't see a problem with that? I want some of what you got.

Not having a goal attached to the TB is the only "problem" I see here, and it wasn't mentioned in your original post and the only mention at all of the TB is in relation to a certain cache, I assume that's not really the problem you have with it. Probably 75% of the TBs that have a stated goal don't document that on the actual TB itself, so if that's actually your only beef about this particular cache/TB problem, you might be the one with the tainted lunch, not me.

Personally, nobody I know would move a TB hundreds of miles without checking it's webpage first. If it's been a problem with this TB, then I'm sure the owner would be the first one to want to correct the problem.

Edited by Mopar

The problem is when there is no documentation with the TB to tell people to keep it in the area, and someone actually does the geocacher thing and moves it 100 miles away perhaps? You don't see a problem with that? I want some of what you got. It wouldn't be an issue if people knew to keep it in the area, but there isn't any info with it.

How do you know there is no attached documentation? Have you found the TB? Also the TB belongs to the cache owner so if they want it to hang around and not travel, I don't see a problem.

El Diablo

The problem is when there is no documentation with the TB to tell people to keep it in the area, and someone actually does the geocacher thing and moves it 100 miles away perhaps? You don't see a problem with that? I want some of what you got.

Not having a goal attached to the TB is the only "problem" I see here, and it wasn't mentioned in your original post and the only mention at all of the TB is in relation to a certain cache, I assume that's not really the problem you have with it. Probably 75% of the TBs that have a stated goal don't document that on the actual TB itself, so if that's actually your only beef about this particular cache/TB problem, you might be the one with the tainted lunch, not me.

Personally, nobody I know would move a TB hundreds of miles without checking it's webpage first. If it's been a problem with this TB, then I'm sure the owner would be the first one to want to correct the problem.

I have to agree when i am going to go find a cache i read all about it first,if there is a travel bug in it i know before hand what the goal is and if it is not something i am interested in or can do i leave it . If i can help it accomplish it;s goal i will do so ..do your homework before getting there and not knowing for sure..;)

Personally I would not seek this cache, but if others like it, thats what counts. If the cache owner is comfortable with the cache going unfound for periods of time while the TB is 20, 50 or 200 miles away, it's his cache.

Just a guess, but maybe part of the problem is, it seems some cachers are not comfortable with knowing a cache is out there and not going after it. :laughing: Now I'm not saying that is your problem, but this does seem like the kind of cache you can just ignore if you don't like it. I have limited mobility, and have to ignore a lot of local caches I would like to try for. Because of that I have learned not to worry about ones I don't want to try even if I could. ;)

The only problem I can see with the cache/TB combo is for the owner, who will have fewer finds on their cache. I'm really not sure what YOUR problem with it is. So you may have to wait a while to find the cache until the TB comes in to an acceptable range for you. Doesn't seem like too big a deal. I wouldn't dream of putting a complaining note on someone's cache page that it was too difficult for me to do because they chose to make their cache a 5/5. This doesn't seem to be much different. They made the cache more difficult to do than you would like it to be. That's their perogative.

Relax a bit. Go find some other caches. Or just put this one on ignore and forget about it.

October 14 by Shifty (960 found)

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to use a TB that is meant to Travel as a way to get the Co-ords for this cache, you may want to think about having some kind of backup puzzle, cache, idea, plan, thought, considering the TB WAS 22 miles from my house when I wanted to grab it on 10/11/06, and NOW thanks to the generosity of a fellow cacher is now 60 miles away, thats a little far to go for a cache thats supposed to be 5 miles from my yard.

Wow, if the OP get's this bent about 75 miles, wonder how he feels about THIS PA cache? ;)

Agreement with the other posters. In the Seattle area, we've had several caches like this - you're lucky it's only one TB you have to find! ;) Traveling 50-100 miles to get a needed TB (and find a few more caches) is nothing special here.

• Most commonly, we have caches where you have to find two TBs, each with half the coords.
  • Then there was the Kiss Cache (as in the rock group), where you had to find four Kiss duckie TBs, each with part of the coords. One escaped to Minnesota, and the holder mailed it back so I could complete the cache. (and lemme just say - Gene Simmons' head on a duckie body....scary!)
  • And the Cache Me If You Can series, where you had to find a CD TB for each, listen to the songs and figure out the coords.

Edited by hydnsek

I said your opinions about the cache, not about my opinions. I care nothing about what you think bends me out of shape or what MY problem with it is. The point was to see what you thought about an idea that has the potential of a black hole when all it takes is someone misplacing the 1 item you need for a cache that moves around wherever someone wants to place it because they don't read before they leap.

I said your opinions about the cache, not about my opinions. I care nothing about what you think bends me out of shape or what MY problem with it is. The point was to see what you thought about an idea that has the potential of a black hole when all it takes is someone misplacing the 1 item you need for a cache that moves around wherever someone wants to place it because they don't read before they leap.

I certainly don't mean this to be rude, but from your reply it doesn't seem as if you're willing to hear the very opinions you've asked for. It seems that most of us don't have a problem with it and are only offering up suggestions as how to make it less annoying (as it obviously is) to you.

I certainly don't mean this to be rude, but from your reply it doesn't seem as if you're willing to hear the very opinions you've asked for. It seems that most of us don't have a problem with it and are only offering up suggestions as how to make it less annoying (as it obviously is) to you.

Agreed. The cache/TB owner asked it be kept "near" Perry County. It looks like it's moved less then 50 miles from there, to an easily accessible TB hotel on an interstate. Not a problem in my eyes, especially when there are caches out there that require 1800 miles of driving to log (the cache linked in my last post).

If you have a problem with it, add it to your ignore list.

If the cache/TB owner has a problem, he can always go get the TB himself, or release another one with the same info.

Why ask for opinions at all then, unless all you are looking for is validation of your point of view? As hydnsek pointed out, this is not something new, it's been done. In fact, I've found one of the Cache Me if you Can TB's, solved the (reasonably difficult ) puzzle and then found the cache. And rather enjoyed it.

You can't expect to come to the forums, thow out a very biased opinion in the form of a question and not get responses that explain why they disagree with you. So far, I think the answer to your original question is apparent.

My first cache of this nature was, ironically, in the OP's home area. While traveling, and hundreds of miles from home, I picked up a CD containing the coordinates for a cache in that area. Three months later, on my next trip to that part of the state, I found the cache. That was fun!

You know what would be really, really wrong? If the owner of the cache Mopar linked to could get the posted coordinates changed to a location in Mechanicsburg, PA. B)

My take is if the TB gets moved hundreds of miles awway and you don't want to or can't travel to get it and want to get the cache just email the owner and explain it to him/her and I'm sure there are ways around it. Were all in this sport to have a good time and we all want the others to enjoy our caches that's why we hide them in the first place.

If I understand it, it is OK to have a puzzle cache that says you must find this TB to get the coordinates. But if it were a traditional cache at the posted coordinates that said must find or discover this travel bug in order to log a find, it would be discriminating against people who hadn't logged the TB and just plain wrong. And if it were a cache that said you had to leave a travel bug in this cache in order to log it, you could be taken before the World Court of Geocaching and tried for war crimes for running a travel bug prison B)

Never found one like this, haven't seen any around here. I think it is a great idea and I may just create one similar, there are enough caches in my area to keep it interesting. Shifty, thanks for bringing this awesome caching adventure idea to my attention! B)

edit:spelling

Edited by hikergps

I figured I would bring some other's opionions in about This

cache and how you find it.

Personally I think it's a bad idea, just curious if anyone else out there has ever seen something like this. TB's are made to move not hang around.

Here's another one that requires finding two TB's. The owner has placed a number of creative caches in nice wooded spots in the area. This was one of the best. It's still being logged after a year and a half, so folks are very good about complying with the TB rules. I had a lot of fun with this one. I disagree wih the OP's rigid position on TB's. The owner paid for it and released it and can ask for whatever conditions he/she wants to.

We had a cache similar to that one here in Columbus, OH. There was a time where the TB was picked up by someone who didn't realize it was supposed to stay in the area. The person who picked it up handed it to me at Geowoodstock II and I brought it back to the area for the cache/TB owner. This worked out well for all involved, but I suppose if the TB related to the cache in question was taken, and there wasn't an instance where it could be passed from cacher to cacher to get it back quickly, it could always be mailed back to the owner.

We found one in Austin that was similar. The listed coordinates did indeed lead you to the cache but the container itself was locked with a key. The cache owner put out three key travelbugs to move around the area and all you had to do was find one of them, then take it with you open the container. Afterwards, you took the key and hid it in another area cache of your choice, noting on the cache page where you placed it. That one was alot of fun!