Magellan ,topo cd

munro290

Lets say I have an Magellan Explorist 500 with the topo map of Canada downloaded on to a sd card. Now If I buy a Explorist Xl can I use the same map or do I have to buy a new topo map? I like my 500 but would like the larger screen of the XL for mounting on my quad, if I have to buy another topo map I might as well try a Garmin with their topo map.

Lets say I have an Magellan Explorist 500 with the topo map of Canada downloaded on to a sd card. Now If I buy a Explorist Xl can I use the same map or do I have to buy a new topo map? I like my 500 but would like the larger screen of the XL for mounting on my quad, if I have to buy another topo map I might as well try a Garmin with their topo map.

Not 100% sure how it would work if you took the memory card from the 500 to the XL. I *think* it is GPS unit serial # locked and wouldn't work.

However, for certain if you put the card in a card reader and wipe it clean and then deinstall the software from your PC you could start over and it would work fine.

There is no way for the CD to know how many times it has installed or to what it has installed.

Not 100% sure how it would work if you took the memory card from the 500 to the XL. I *think* it is GPS unit serial # locked and wouldn't work.

However, for certain if you put the card in a card reader and wipe it clean and then deinstall the software from your PC you could start over and it would work fine.

There is no way for the CD to know how many times it has installed or to what it has installed.

What if I buy a new card and download the map onto the Xl, would it work if its already been used on my 500?

What if I buy a new card and download the map onto the Xl, would it work if its already been used on my 500?

I believe that he real answer depends upon which version of the Magellan map software you have. If you have the newest versions of the Magellan software, the software serial number ties it to a single/specific GPSr. In that case, you can only use that software with the one GPSr to which it is "married". If you happen to have an older version of the Magellan software, then you can load the software on a second computer and associate that computer with the new GPSr. The older versions used a "CD check" to make sure that you had the original CD in the drive, so they were not as strict on the one-software/one-GPSr other than that you could not use two different GPSr's on the same computer.

I have MapSend Topo 3D USA (version 1.0) and I can load it on one PC to load maps to my wife's unit, and load it on a second PC to load maps on my GPSr, but I can't run both at the same time due to the "CD check" feature of the software. If you got the Topo 3D v1.5 (the one on the DVD) then your software is tied to one specific GPSr and will not work for any other unit.

That could leave a person stranded somewhere if your battery died or your gps took a crap or didnt work for whatever reason but your buddy's gps still worked but no maps or POIs as in where the truck was lol. It's a sad day when your life is only worth what you pay out for software.

You can load regions onto an sd card from Mapsend Topo and use it in the Explorist XL by entering the new serial number. This sd card will be good for this unit. Use another sd card with a different serial number for a different unit. I have done this for both a Meridian Platinum and for my Explorist XL. You don't need to reinstal the program. Hope this helps.

You can load regions onto an sd card from Mapsend Topo and use it in the Explorist XL by entering the new serial number. This sd card will be good for this unit. Use another sd card with a different serial number for a different unit. I have done this for both a Meridian Platinum and for my Explorist XL. You don't need to reinstal the program. Hope this helps.

This is true for the older version of the program, but all bets are off on the newest version (v1.5) of the Topo3D software. The new software installs from a DVD and no longer requires the disc in the drive to run. Instead, the software requires an installation code that locks it to a single GPSr, and if you want to create maps for a new GPSr, you have to buy a new installation code...

Here is a section of the License Agreement from MapSend Topo3D USA v1.50:

Under the Agreement, you have a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, personal license to install and operate a single copy of this Software on a single computer to enable you to download data from that computer for use with a single Magellan family handheld GPS receiver subject to the User Restrictions below. Thales Navigation ("Licensor") and its third-party suppliers retain all rights to the program not expressly granted by the Agreement.