Mapsend Direct route v1 no longer works

DaveA

I have had Mapsend Direct Route v 1 for quite awhile. When I switched to Windows XP it stopped working and Magellan released a patch. The problem was their copy protection and XP didn't play well together. Mapsend didn't recognize the CD in the drive.

Well, on my work laptop we are constantly getting security updates from Microsoft and while I don't know what patch it was that got installed (it is all behind the scenes), MapSend Direct Route v 1 again stopped working.

There is no error, it simply doesn't start at all.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to no avail. The software continues to work on my home machine (also XP), but I haven't applied any updates from M$ for months. Magellan support hasn't responded, but I notice they have dropped support of v 1 and are requiring a paid upgrade to v2 or 3. Funny since it is their copy protection that breaks the product.

Anyway, the moral here is I strongly suspect one of the latest MS patches for XP is the culprit so all those of you running XP and using Direct Route v. 1 be careful.

I use a fully updated (I presume) XPpro machine, and DR v1 continues to work for me. I strongly suspect that you have fallen victim to the resource hog proclivities of DR. Try shutting down some of the background tasks to free up resources--although you probably wouldn't want to make a frequent habit of it, shutting down your antivirus software would serve for purposes of testing this hypothesis.

If you find that DR runs when more resources are available, you'll either have to temporarily shut down something(s) when you want to fire it up, or weed out any unneeded background programs that you can do without. If you have just crossed some sort of resource threshhold, you may not need to get rid of too much.

I use a fully updated (I presume) XPpro machine, and DR v1 continues to work for me. I strongly suspect that you have fallen victim to the resource hog proclivities of DR. Try shutting down some of the background tasks to free up resources--although you probably wouldn't want to make a frequent habit of it, shutting down your antivirus software would serve for purposes of testing this hypothesis.

If you find that DR runs when more resources are available, you'll either have to temporarily shut down something(s) when you want to fire it up, or weed out any unneeded background programs that you can do without. If you have just crossed some sort of resource threshhold, you may not need to get rid of too much.

The machine has CPU and RAM to spare and worked until right after the installation of 5 security patches from MS. My unpatched machine (with less power to spare) still runs it fine. That's why I suspect the security patches. I am not talking about something like a service pack, but the one off security patches MS seems to put out almost weekly now.

The machine has CPU and RAM to spare and worked until right after the installation of 5 security patches from MS. My unpatched machine (with less power to spare) still runs it fine. That's why I suspect the security patches. I am not talking about something like a service pack, but the one off security patches MS seems to put out almost weekly now.

I can tell you from experience that it has little to do with the security patch you applied, and a lot to do with bad programming on Magellan's part. I have DR v2, and it won't run on my dual-core Thinkpad that has over 1GB free RAM and over 95% of the 2.16GHz processors free, yet it will run on a Dell Optiplex that has a 2.8GHz (Pentium 4) processor. Both systems have 2GB physical RAM, and have XP Pro with all of the latest service patches from MS, yet DR will only run on the Dell as it is. I spent several hours on the phone with Magellan support and they told me that they knew of this issue and that the only thing that would suggest is that I turn-off all other startup applications to allow their software to run. This is a pain, as doing so corrupts one of my Adobe products causing me to have to uninstall it and then re-install it so that it will work properly.

As was alluded to before, the Magellan softwware had "odd" resource requirements, and about the only way you can meet its requirements is to be running it on a system with nothing else installed or running.

I can tell you from experience that it has little to do with the security patch you applied, and a lot to do with bad programming on Magellan's part. I have DR v2, and it won't run on my dual-core Thinkpad that has over 1GB free RAM and over 95% of the 2.16GHz processors free, yet it will run on a Dell Optiplex that has a 2.8GHz (Pentium 4) processor. Both systems have 2GB physical RAM, and have XP Pro with all of the latest service patches from MS, yet DR will only run on the Dell as it is. I spent several hours on the phone with Magellan support and they told me that they knew of this issue and that the only thing that would suggest is that I turn-off all other startup applications to allow their software to run. This is a pain, as doing so corrupts one of my Adobe products causing me to have to uninstall it and then re-install it so that it will work properly.

That sounds like adding injury to insult. It's a really odd problem whose consistency has eluded me. My impression is that most people can run DR ok--I, for one, have never run into it despite using the usual assortment of firewall, antivirus, and other usual suspects. Yet here and other forums, the problem frequently is brought up.

It does seem possible to me that the security patches reduced available resources by a critical amount such that DR can't get out of bed. I still suspect it's the resources rather than the patches per se. And I think GeekBoy is right when he points to poor programming on Magellan's part. I'm not aware of any other program of any type that has this behavior...and it's a poor sign that they don't fix this (maybe they did with v3.0, but they should issue a patch for versions 1 and 2).

Is there anyway to modify Direct route to not require the cd like you can with topo 3D? wasn't the issues with DR on xp just having problems seeing the cd?

http://freightyard.net/projects/MagellanGPS/

Also I had some HP software that really doesn't like Internet explorer7, after trying IE7 the HP software wouldn't open at all. I had switch back to IE6 and everything worked fine again, so I could see getting an MS update messing up other software.

Edited by hogrod

Is there anyway to modify Direct route to not require the cd like you can with topo 3D? wasn't the issues with DR on xp just having problems seeing the cd?

http://freightyard.net/projects/MagellanGPS/

Also I had some HP software that really doesn't like Internet explorer7, after trying IE7 the HP software wouldn't open at all. I had switch back to IE6 and everything worked fine again, so I could see getting an MS update messing up other software.

I'm not sure if you were asking a question or suggesting a solution...I'll just note that while I don't think the Fix #1 at the beginning of the page works on DR (I think the programmer was working on a DR version, but I don't know how far he got), Fix#3 works on DR v1 and v2.