How Far Is Too Far...

Blucruz

The reason I ask is that one of my caches has been moved about 800ft and the spot it's in now is better than the original. I don't want to archive or rename the cache itself as it needs to be hidden in part of the structure that was moved.

I'm sorry if this question could be answered by Groundspeak F.A.Q. but I can't access the site through the network computer I'm forced to use right now. SurfPatrol won't let me on Gc.com but lets me on the forums...go figure. Thanks

That's more than far enough to need to get a reviewer to change your coordinates for you.

If the cache is for all intents and purposes the same cache experience then I'd just have the coordinated change. If it's a different experience I'd relist it in the new spot.

You also pose an interesting problem. If the cache didn't move relative to where it's hidden but where it's hidden was moved and now that's too close to another cache...is that an exception to the 528' rule or is that the end of the cache? This isn't a problem if your'e new spot is 528' away from any other cache, but it's an interesting question to me.

That's more than far enough to need to get a reviewer to change your coordinates for you.

If the cache is for all intents and purposes the same cache experience then I'd just have the coordinated change. If it's a different experience I'd relist it in the new spot.

Thanks

Yes the experience is exactly the same and there are no other caches within .20 mi of so there is no problem there. I'll just have the coordinates changed.

You also pose an interesting problem. If the cache didn't move relative to where it's hidden but where it's hidden was moved and now that's too close to another cache...is that an exception to the 528' rule or is that the end of the cache? This isn't a problem if your'e new spot is 528' away from any other cache, but it's an interesting question to me.

Never really thought about that. I guess technically it would be a problem if there is another cache within 528'

No exception. I recently had to archive a puzzle cache because the first few stages went MIA. I opted to leave the final ammo box where it was and just re-list it as a traditional cache.

Well....since I placed the puzzle, a new traditional had been lsited about 400 feet from my final stage. When I submitted the "new" cache (the traditional that was in the same place as the final puzzle) it was denied because of the proximity rule.

The approver SHOULD have caught the other person's cache when it was placed since they had my final coords, but they didn't. I understand that we all make mistakes - but I couldn't list my cache (which never moved) because of thier error ;) .

On topic (sorry): Email your reviewer and they shoudl be able to help you.

No exception. I recently had to archive a puzzle cache because the first few stages went MIA. I opted to leave the final ammo box where it was and just re-list it as a traditional cache.

Well....since I placed the puzzle, a new traditional had been lsited about 400 feet from my final stage. When I submitted the "new" cache (the traditional that was in the same place as the final puzzle) it was denied because of the proximity rule.

The approver SHOULD have caught the other person's cache when it was placed since they had my final coords, but they didn't. I understand that we all make mistakes - but I couldn't list my cache (which never moved) because of thier error ;) .

I saw something similar (not mine). Cache A was placed in 6/02, and archived in 3/04. Cache B was placed in 3/04. Cache A was unarchived (with new owner) in 12/05. Cache B was moved in 9/06, and diabled a week later by the reviewer as being too close (200 feet) to Cache A. I do not have the original coordinates on either cache, but I doubt they were ever more than 528 feet apart. I'm rather surprised that Cache A was unarchived, for that reason. Oh, well.

As to OP, 800 feet requires approval from your approver, but would probably be better off as a new cache.