Miss-use of "Discovered" Logs?

Dave_W6DPS

My TB, TBPZN4, has had four straight "Discovered" logs while sitting in a Travel Bug Hotel, GCWXX5.

I have seen this on a few other bugs. I was hoping it would stop, but it may be getting more common.

It even seems that some people specifically just want to "Discover" travel bugs.

Stopped by Wildwood TB Hotel to see what was available to 'Discover'. TNLN. MAny thanks.

I thought that these "Discovered" logs were just so people could add icons to their profile for coins that they saw. I never saw much point in that, and see no point in adding to the number of travel bugs you saw but didn't move.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a miss-use of this type of log?

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

I don't "get" the whole discovered thing and why people would want to do it, but I think this isn't a misuse at all, but instead exactly what this feature was created for. While we may not be into it, there are a lot of people that want to drive up their numbers, be it coins or bugs and this is how you do it. For me? NO! But for others it is a true obsession.

Edited by Hula Bum

I don't "get" the whole discovered thing and why people would want to do it, but I think this isn't a misuse at all, but instead exactly what this feature was created for. While we may not be into it, there are a lot of people that want to drive up their numbers, be it coins or bugs and this is how you do it. For me? NO! But for others it is a true obsession.

same here. A stat count for a bug I didn't even want to move? No thanks.

same here. A stat count for a bug I didn't even want to move? No thanks.

While I agree its basically useless, the stat says 'found' not 'moved' ;)

Maybe we should all discover one of Jeremy's Tbs a bunch of times and it will get changed? :laughing:

think about it this way, at least you know your travel bug is still actually in a cache and not stolen by sombody, We think the discover is a good feature, If we cannot help a bug to its destination, we will discover it and let the owner know it is still safe and sound in the cache, We do allot of traveling to go geocaching since the closest cache to our house that we havent found (or doesnt need a big boat) is roughly 40 miles away, allot of the time we are caching 100+ miles from our home and wouldnt want to take a bug that far away from its goal.

Just our .02 worth

I don't think the 'discovered' option is completely useless. It lets me keep track of bugs I come across for the curiosity of where they go.

The reason however I'll ever used a 'discovered' option is because in general, I only want to have one TB with me at any given time. I generally want to avoid hoarding TBs or something, seeing as I have no clue if some circumstance will come up and I won't be able to cache for like... a month or more. So in general, I'll have a TB, move it to wherever, then wait until I come across another one.

Which brings me to the 'discovered's. If I come across a cache with multiple TB's in it, I'll grab one of them, and just 'discover' the others for the sake of both not-hoarding them, and also for the blind curiosity of having them listed in my account so I can check back on 'em from time to time and see how far they went from when I saw them. If I come across a TB while currently holding one... if that particular cache is in the direction the TB I'm holding wanted to go, I'll just trade 'em (haven't come across this situation yet, but that's the plan for when I do). If it's not in the direction the TB I'm holding wants to go, I'll just 'discover' the one in the cache (see explanation several sentences prior to this one), and stick with only holding one TB.

Edited by Kabuthunk

I like the discovered feature because it allows me to log bugs or coins in a cache without emptying out the cache of trackables (so there will be something in there for the next person to find and I don't like to hoard travel bugs or coins).

Also if I know it will be a while before I can be at another cache where I can drop the TB's/Coins off, it allows someone else the chance to move them instead of them sitting on my desk going nowhere.

So no, I do not think it is a misuse of the discovered feature at all, and yes I admit I like to see my stat numbers go up, but that's just me, I know not everyone will agree with me but that's my take on it.

I think that if there was a button on the website that every time you click it a number would increase by one, people would compete to get the highest number and would discuss where they are at in the scoring and explain why they do it.

No they wouldn't. ;) 999,999,999,999,999,999,999.........................................because it makes me have fun. :laughing:

Well, same bug, same cache, now up to 5 "discovered" logs without movement.

I just don't see the attraction of being able to log a travel bug that you have nothing to do with...

I also don't get the concept of not wanting to "hoard travel bugs". Better to want them to sit forever without moving?

I don't think you need to "discover" a bug to let the owner know where it is--that was done for a long time with a simple mention in your log. If the owner is wondering about a bug they are probably reading logs on the cache where it is supposed to be.

I think some of us simply don't grasp the concept of travel bugs. While I recognize that I may among those--let me point out that the name is TRAVEL bug, not SIT-AROUND-WAITING-TO-BE-DISCOVERED bug.

The discovered log may make it more confusing for noobies picking up travel bugs. Another of my bugs, TBQ4TW, was "discovered" by a geocacher in Michigan, who then posted a note saying he dropped it off in Washington. This screws up mileage and which caches show up in the bug's history.

In summation, I don't like "discovered" logs, and I don't like them being used for travel bugs. I don't care if they are used to inflate meaningless stats, but I think they reduce movement of travel bugs since you can get a bean to count without doing anything for it.

By the way, the goal for this bug that people seem to find so difficult to help with:

"Just to travel around, frequently... "

My 2-cents, your mileage may vary...

Dave_W6DPS

Well, if you didn't have such a complicated goal for it!!!!

"My son and I like to see the travels of our bugs,

so please keep this one moving! "

:D Just kidding, I see no reason that it shouldn't be picked up. Don't give up hope, at least with each discover log, you know your bug is still safe and sound.

Dave_W6DPS wrote:

I also don't get the concept of not wanting to "hoard travel bugs". Better to want them to sit forever without moving?

End Of Quote

OK I'm not trying to be mean here, but would you prefer I empty the next 10 or 20 caches of all Travel Bugs/Coins and keep them for the next 6 months????

Or maybe only just 6 weeks???

The result would be the same, the bugs don't move, and people would still be upset about it.

The point is I don't like to keep TB's/Coins for too long and sometimes (not always) it is a while before I can get to another cache to drop them off, (even if it is a local one I've already been to).

You know what, I think I will stop hanging around in the forums and start counting pennies or something, this is starting to raise my blood pressure.

Wishing Everyone Well, I'm going to count some change or try to find a cache within 25 miles of where I live that's not rated a 5 or something.

Spelling edit.

Edited by wildhawk

I too do not get the Discovered thing. After a day of pushing a friend around in her chair I was told it was a personal TB and I could log it. Did not want to grab and drop the Personal TB and thougth about a note. Not long later the Discovered option appeared so I used it instead as it seemed more fitting. Have not used it since. Seems like I should be moving the TB if I want to log it. Discovered has also taken the fun out of watching Cindy the Cinder Block and a few other large TBs.

Add me to the list of people who see real good point in discover notes! I used to find coins for the icons, and then when they started circulating through caches then I deleted 200+ logs that I had made so that 100% of my icons would be TB's and coins that I haver personally moved......and I am likeing that system a whole lot more.

My thought is, if you want to let the owner know that the bug/coin is still doing okay then turn off the "discover log" feature and turn on a feature called "trackable confirmed" After certian period that a trackable has been sitting in a cache, the owner can push a button that makes an attribute or banner appear on the trackable's page stateing that he/she is interested in knowing if the bug is safe. Then the next person that comes along and saw the banner will post a "trackable confirmed" log which eleminates the attribute and notifies the owner that all is well!

The "trackable confirmed" wouldn't increase your icons, but would serve in the same way that most people are taking the discover logs.

If "trackable confirmed" doesn't seem like a good idea, then I think that the discover logs should be done away with and if an owner wants to know about their trackable then someone can post a note.

Add me to the list of people who see real good point in discover notes! I used to find coins for the icons, and then when they started circulating through caches then I deleted 200+ logs that I had made so that 100% of my icons would be TB's and coins that I haver personally moved......and I am likeing that system a whole lot more.

My thought is, if you want to let the owner know that the bug/coin is still doing okay then turn off the "discover log" feature and turn on a feature called "trackable confirmed" After certian period that a trackable has been sitting in a cache, the owner can push a button that makes an attribute or banner appear on the trackable's page stateing that he/she is interested in knowing if the bug is safe. Then the next person that comes along and saw the banner will post a "trackable confirmed" log which eleminates the attribute and notifies the owner that all is well!

The "trackable confirmed" wouldn't increase your icons, but would serve in the same way that most people are taking the discover logs.

If "trackable confirmed" doesn't seem like a good idea, then I think that the discover logs should be done away with and if an owner wants to know about their trackable then someone can post a note.

no, that's a good idea. I recently discovered the whole "discover/spot" thing and found it interesting. I used it today on a bunch of bugs that are lounging in a nearby TB hotel. I wanted the folks to know they are alive and well, and that if they didn't move soon, I would come and save them. But this is a very active Hotel, so I didn't feel right dropping 2 bugs and picking up 7. Plus, I also got to post a few notes to bug owners of bugs that seem to have disappeared from the smae cache. ;) Not sure the system is great yet, but it is better than the old (nonexistent) system.

I like the trackable option, both as a TB/Coin owner and a trackable whore (Hello, my name is Red and I'm a...).

As others have stated, it is better to discover them than to drop one or two in exchange for five TBs or coins that you MIGHT be able to help on their way, and I think it is great for events when there are 100+ trackables and not everyone can take one/some.

As an owner I like it when others discover my trackables.

Except in this one case... and I don't know what to do about it. I received a log entry on a missing TB the other day, from someone in France... why? Because they could read the number of the TB from a photo taken by someone who had actually moved it. The bug's been missing for months, and I know it has never been to France. Should I delete the log? Should I delete the photo? Should I post the link so everyone here can discover it? I don't think so, but I'm sure it will happen.

I'm just wondering how much free time this idiot had... perusing all of the TBs for photos with the tracking numbers so he/she could discover it? I'd have been pleased had it been found, but it is still MIA. *sigh*

My Geocoin Trade List

Delete the log, delete the photo. If people log it virtually it will be locked, and then if and when it IS found you'll never know, because no one can log it then.

Edit to add: Or edit the photo so the number doesn't show, but if you delete it - explain why to the person who posted it, so they don't do it again.

Edited by Eartha