Geocaching makes "Best of..."

Zoptrop

I read this last night in the Austin Chronicle's "Best of Austin" Issue... (see mom, it's not just me.)

Best Healthy, Fun Bonding Activity for Parents and Children: GeoCaching

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a fun activity to share with children young and old that combines adventure, exercise, high tech gadgets, the Internet, and old-fashioned backwoods know-how?

Look no further than GeoCaching. Part hobby, part sport, GeoCaching is a worldwide, high tech treasure-hunting game. Using a GPS receiver (starting at less than $100), GeoCachers search for cleverly hidden caches (usually small containers containing little trinkets) placed on public property at specific latitude and longitude coordinates. Caches are listed on the Internet by ZIP code, and the Austin-area GeoCaching community has placed more than 1,500 caches. Take a trinket/leave a trinket while enjoying the search.

www.geocaching.com

Neat, though I'm surprised that it took so long to be recognized in the local papers.

When I first started caching in 2001, I was living in San Antonio. We had found the ONE CACHE in the city, and thought this was a pretty cool sport, so we took a week off, and travelled up to Austin, because they had 13 caches in the area! Spent 4 days there, and found all but one. Very different from now, with 100-cache-a-day runs.

The Austin cachers were very energetic and placed some clever caches, and had a pretty cohesive group back then. I hope that it hasn't changed much over the years.

I read this last night in the Austin Chronicle's "Best of Austin" Issue... (see mom, it's not just me.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know if this story is on a website or somewhere we could all download or print it out. Could be a little ammunition for when people are asking some sort of park if they allow Geocaches on their property.

Thanks,

Tom

Do you know if this story is on a website or somewhere we could all download or print it out. Could be a little ammunition for when people are asking some sort of park if they allow Geocaches on their property.

Thanks,

Tom

Forget it. Simply go to Austinchronicle.com, click on the Best Of Austin 2006, then do a search for Geocaching on the right side of the page. Looks like we also want to head to Hippie Hollow Point as well B)