USB transfer of Topo maps

ghost640

Hi - just upgraded from the 76s to 76CSx - so far I'm really impressed - I like the new operating system and sensitivity of the receiver.

My question - my version of Mapsource (3.02) only asks for a COM port - has anyone been able to use the USB to transfer topo maps? I can make the serial connection, but it's a very slow process to upload maps (especially since I can upload 128 Mb now...) <_<

Also, any other suggestions for these large capacity units? What else do folks include on the card?

Thanks!

Ghost

Edited by ghost640

Hi - just upgraded from the 76s to 76CSx - so far I'm really impressed - I like the new operating system and sensitivity of the receiver.

My question - my version of Mapsource (3.02) only asks for a COM port - has anyone been able to use the USB to transfer topo maps? I can make the serial connection, but it's a very slow process to upload maps (especially since I can upload 128 Mb now...) <_<

Also, any other suggestions for these large capacity units? What else do folks include on the card?

Thanks!

Ghost

Get the update here.

OK this is odd - I loaded TOPO, then the Metroguide. The topo disappeared, and it took awhile to figure out that the Metroguide hides the topos. The Show All command does not show all.

So I'm assuming that the order in which layers are loaded determine which ones are visible? Given this it seems like they all have to be hidden, except for the one you're interested in.

Am I right, or is there a way to display layers simultaneously? I can see why the topos 'cover' the screen, but the Metro layers are point or line data, don't see why they can't overlay the topos.

You are correct; the maps are not all visible. If Metroguide maps are displayed you will not see the Topo maps. You can turn off the Metroguide maps (in Map > Setup), which would make other map sets such as Topo visible. Go to Map > Setup and select the maps tab; you will understand it better once you see the options there.

The order is not determined by you or how you load them; it's set by default.

Thanks - yes, I learned that lesson the first time I tried to add one last map to a previous set! At least that's not as much of an issue with the faster connection, but its still pretty high on the list of 'bad software design".

I was surprised that the microSD doesn't simply show up as a disk drive, the Garmin OS must get in the way.

Thanks - yes, I learned that lesson the first time I tried to add one last map to a previous set! At least that's not as much of an issue with the faster connection, but its still pretty high on the list of 'bad software design".

I was surprised that the microSD doesn't simply show up as a disk drive, the Garmin OS must get in the way.

Hey Red 90, re the microcard, if you" have it show up as a drive, if you want, and transfer maps that way as well.

menu/menu/setup/interface/"USB Mass Transfer"/ "

Then can you add maps, just like you add files to a regular drive, or does it still wipe out what it has had in memory?

Thanks, buffpup

Then can you add maps, just like you add files to a regular drive, or does it still wipe out what it has had in memory?

You still add maps the same way. In Mapsource, you will see the card as a device to send the map to instead of the GPS. It still works the same way by creating a simgle compiled map file and erases the old one.

My question - my version of Mapsource (3.02) only asks for a COM port - has anyone been able to use the USB to transfer topo maps? I can make the serial connection, but it's a very slow process to upload maps (especially since I can upload 128 Mb now...) :D

Thanks!

Ghost

OK this is odd - I loaded TOPO, then the Metroguide. The topo disappeared, and it took awhile to figure out that the Metroguide hides the topos. The Show All command does not show all.

So I'm assuming that the order in which layers are loaded determine which ones are visible? Given this it seems like they all have to be hidden, except for the one you're interested in.

Am I right, or is there a way to display layers simultaneously? I can see why the topos 'cover' the screen, but the Metro layers are point or line data, don't see why they can't overlay the topos.

You need to load the Mapsource and Topo at the same time, otherwise it erases the previous software that is loaded.