Recon with GPS

hunting101

I'm sorry. The recon uses a GPSR CompactFlash Card. I have a Holux CF card now but the accuracy in the test i have done around tall buildings are not that good (+- 20'). I need somthing that will fit the Recon handheld or another handheld all together that will run ARCPad 7.0 with GPS.

Thanks,

Hunting101

Nashville, TN

Compact Flash card is just data storage... Has no bearing in accuracy of GPS unit... Yes its important to have quality storage card so data is not lost, but accuracy of GPS unit depends on engineering design of antenna system and internal electronics of GPS and not the storage media...

Dale

No, a Recon handheld is a ruggedized PDA. Here is a source that appears to offer some more details on using GPS with the handheld:

http://www.trimble.com/recon_mgis_handheld.shtml

Here are some options for CF GPS receivers:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/compactflash-sd-gps_10.html

There are several on that page that are SirfIII, which are supposed to work particularly well in the tall building setting that the OP described. I have the Haicom HI-303III and am quite pleased with it in accuracy and time to acquire a fix.

I don't know much about the Recon or your accuracy needs, however. No further advice on the Recon or the GPS options outlined in the first link above. However, the CF receivers sold by BuyGPSNow are the standard consumer-grade. Therefore you can expect -- how is it exactly? -- 10 foot accuracy 95 percent of the time. Not sure about those numbers, but they are close. If you need sub-foot accuracy, then you will need to look elsewhere.